Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 20:06   #1

Boat: Leopard 50 Catamaran
Ordering new boat need electric system help

I am ordering a new boat (leopard 48) and the option for power is 110 or 220

The 110 comes with two 30 amp shore power cords.

My current boat a hunter 49 has one 50 amp cord with American systems.

I have people telling me to order the 220 euro spec as I don't keep the boat in us. I cruise Carib and Mexico.

What is best? New boat has same systems as my current boat. Batt charger, Watermaker , w/d, water heater 3 a/c units etc. I use them all and it's important my boat can use shore power or gen anywhere. I spoke to dealer and they don't offer a single 50 amp plug. Don't understand the pros and cons of all this. Help.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
happytogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 19:36   #2

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: Ordering new boat need electric system help

Congratulations on being able to afford a new Leopard? If all your new systems like....water heater, a/c units and such are 110v then that's the wiring system to go for, besides the cable size for 110v is bigger than the spec for 240v.
Just buy a decent size transformer to be able to plug in@ 240v marinas.

Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 04:24   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Our leopard has 110, it uses 2 x30 amp cords going to a 50 amp splitter. One 30 amp powers forward ac and all electrical outlets. The other 30 powers the aft ac and water heater. This is great imhop, as if you are at a marina w only 30.amp you can still run things. L

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 04:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Mexico and most of the Caribbean uses the North American 120/240 V 60 Hz 1φ standard.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 05:40   #5

Boat: Leopard 50 Catamaran

I was just in the BVI this week and met two other Leopard 48 owners that I just taken delivery, they both were very happy with the 110 systems and the 2 30 amp cords. I didn't look at the distribution panel to see how it separated. I will have additional systems such as washer dryer and water maker. I just wanted to make sure the boat was powered correctly. anybody have any ideas on where I can buy a converter? I realize that in most places I will be using a pigtail to take a 50 amp and break it into my 2 30 amp cords but when I do pull up to a European circuit such as Antigua I will need one of these converters because the marinas don't often have them available. I know I can Google where to buy one I'm looking for info one who has bought one and is happy with it and what they paid and which manufacture etc. Thanks all for the help

happytogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 18:38   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

Check out ebay for transformers...I've just purchased a 240/ 110v 3000W transformer for $105. Make sure you buy one oversize to your continuous wattage draw.

There are all sizes and configurations even ones that switch, 110/240 and the other way 240/110

Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 18:55   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytogether View Post
I am ordering a new boat (leopard 48) and the option for power is 110 or 220

The 110 comes with two 30 amp shore power cords.

My current boat a hunter 49 has one 50 amp cord with American systems.

I have people telling me to order the 220 euro spec as I don't keep the boat in us. I cruise Carib and Mexico.

What is best? New boat has same systems as my current boat. Batt charger, Watermaker , w/d, water heater 3 a/c units etc. I use them all and it's important my boat can use shore power or gen anywhere. I spoke to dealer and they don't offer a single 50 amp plug. Don't understand the pros and cons of all this. Help.

Our new to us boat sailed the carib & came from Europe. It has a 220 transformer for shore power with NO GROUND. The 220 primary powers two equal 110 volt secondaries. This isolation system separates us from corrosion issues common at marinas. For the rare situation where the transient dock has no 220 I have a bypass breaker and 30 amp connector. You can also combine the 30 amp 110 at most facilities from the two 30s typically on a post back to 220. There is a special Y cord for this.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric