Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2008, 21:12   #1

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Opinions on this charger: BASSMASTER ProMariner Marine Battery Charger

I need to replace my battery charger, I have some new 8D's to put on my boat - anywhere from 2-4 of them (yeah, yeah, I know, is too many! lol).

Anyway, looking at this charger:
BASSMASTER ProMariner Marine Battery Charger 3 Banks
It's on Ebay right now with a $75 buy-it-now. Sounds cheap, but I thought ProMariner made decent chargers?

Any input would be appreciated! Here's the link:
eBay Motors: BASSMASTER ProMariner Marine Battery Charger 3 Banks (item 270310275856 end time Dec-06-08 10:22:02 PST)
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 22:24   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
These chargers are built for bass boat starting and trolling batteries. Without the specs on the charger it is difficult to say how it will handle multiple heavy deep cycles.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 02:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exranger View Post
... BASSMASTER ProMariner Marine Battery Charger 3 Banks
It's on Ebay right now with a $75 buy-it-now. Sounds cheap, but I thought ProMariner made decent chargers?...
It sounds WAY TOO CHEAP, to me.

The Professional Mariner “Bassmaster” may be the ProTournament (300-3 ?), 3 Bank x 10A (30A total) Automatic 3-stage Chargers, as made for Bass Pro Shops.

Bass Pro lists the MODEL 300 at $369.99
ProTournament Onboard Chargers - Batteries, Chargers & Accessories - Marine

ProMariner:
Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProTournament 300

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 05:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you are using up to 4 - 8D batteries then you know you will be spending a fair amount of money at at least $600 / battery. A good charging system just means you will extract the most life from these batteries. The cheap charger now just shortens the time to the next set of batteries. Adding new bateries is the best time to reexamine the whole charging system. The cost a charging system is less than one battery and could extend the life of the batteries many times over. You can easily trash group 8D batteries in 9 months with poor charging practices.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 05:55   #5

Napa has 8-d's for $185 w/tax ,just bought one in obx
jawfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 05:57   #6

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
I know this price is way too cheap, and obviously with the name BASSMASTER I at first assumed it was for trolling batteries. But it IS a 30 AMP 3 bank charger, would that not be way more than most would use for trolling? I don't know, don't fish, but still, it just seems to be a very large charger for a bass boat???

I guess why I asked for advice is because I just could not see anything wrong with this one. I must be missing something, somewhere.
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 07:25   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
There is more to a charger than amps. Will it handle your batteries while you have loads on the system while living aboard? Does it maintain a float charge? Is it a three stage? Is it designed to handle all of the amp hours you will demand of it with your number of batteries? Contact Pro Mariner and ask them before you purchase it. They will be happy to answer your questions. Keep in mind this is advertised as USED.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery