Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2011, 13:05   #1

Boat: FP Belize 43
Low Voltage on Solar Panels

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have some advice regarding the Seimens SM110 Solar panels I have on board.

I tested the voltage the other day at high noon down here in Panama and was only getting 13 - 14 volts. I have only tested at the wires coming into the charge controller.

I am wondering if the panels are shot or if there maybe other areas to test or clean?? The two panels are connected in series and there are for module boxes under the panels. Can this be a source of voltage loss?

Visually the panels don't look new that's for sure, they are 9 or 10 years old, there is some browning and some of the filaments look a bit distorted.

Are these panels ready for retirement or can I do some restoration to get the voltage back?

Thanks for any advice
Meck
Old 31-03-2011, 13:10   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Low Voltage on Solar Panels

Check voltage at panels, might need larger guage wiring to charge controller if a long run or could be fault in wiring
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck View Post
Hello,

I tested the voltage the other day at high noon down here in Panama and was only getting 13 - 14 volts. I have only tested at the wires coming into the charge controller.

The two panels are connected in series and there are for module boxes under the panels. Can this be a source of voltage loss?
Did you disconnect the wires coming from the charge controller or measure the voltage with the wires attached?
Are you sure its series not parallel?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:26   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Disconnect each panel.
Check voltage at each panel.

By wiring in series, if one panel is bad they both will look bad, so you have to disconnect each one and test to find the culpret.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:41   #5

Do the panel wires come out of boxes under the panels?You have to open those boxes and look for corrosion.You need to measure voltage right there at the boxes.Any connectors/plugs between those boxes and the controller?You need to eyeball everything for corrosion.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:42   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You have received good advice: disconnect the panels and measure the "open circuit" voltage.

Depending on the type of charge controller you have, and the state of your batteries, your 13-14 volt measurement could be indicating that the panels are perfectly good. This is the voltage range you will see when your batteries are in the second half of the charging cycle, and you are using a non-MPPT charger.

It would be useful if you had some way to measure the current coming out of the panels. I carry a clamp-on DC Ammeter that has proven quite helpful over the years.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:51   #7

Boat: FP Belize 43

Tons of great information. Looks like I have another project...

Meck
Old 31-03-2011, 17:03   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

This may sound like an impertinent question but are the panels clean? A fellow we know went through all kinds of effort to cure a similar problem only to have the technician he finally hired to get things corrected stand there and wash off his panels--ipso facto--problem solved.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar