Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 12:17   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Lithium Batteries are SOOO yesterday

New battery tech entering production this year to be used in electric vehicles charges 20x faster, has almost the same energy density of Lithium, is cheap, does not heat up, and is environmentally safe as its only material is carbon.

Its in production in small quantities right now and being tested in the electric racing field. Oddly... its looks like A123 batteries that Apple just acquired engineers from (and nobody can figure out why and speculation is that Apple is entering the electric car market) might have a relation to this technology.

Power Japan Plus Reveals New Dual Carbon Battery | Power Japan Plus
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:30   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Lithium Batteries are SOOO yesterday

Firefly has carbon foam batteries that are reported to enable fast charting from 20%-80% SOC over and over again with minimal loss. The marine cells are scheduled to come out in 2016. My fingers are crossed!

Firefly International Energy
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
New battery tech entering production this year to be used in electric vehicles charges 20x faster, has almost the same energy density of Lithium, is cheap, does not heat up, and is environmentally safe as its only material is carbon.

Its in production in small quantities right now and being tested in the electric racing field. Oddly... its looks like A123 batteries that Apple just acquired (and nobody can figure out why and speculation is that Apple is entering the electric car market) might have a relation to this technology.

Power Japan Plus Reveals New Dual Carbon Battery | Power Japan Plus
Thanks for your post. Yes amazing things are happening on the battery front. I work at the other end of battery applications. Miniature electronic devices. It just so happens we are evaluating a solid state battery technology out of Japan that stands to make lithium obsolete in small devices. Looks like Japan is stealing a march in next gen battery tech.

Much of what is now going into production will hit over the next 12 months.

Great efficiencies and substantial cost reductions are fantastic.

By the way Im all for moving away from the use of lithium. It is a rare mineral that is used in making medicine for the mentally ill. Given the increase of mental illness in our world I am sure we will need all the lithium we can get our hands on to treat the ill. :big grin:
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:41   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If they come out next year I will start to consider buying them in 5-10y after all the early adopters figure out what the problems are, the manufacturers fix them and the price comes down.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:43   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I really do think that the transition from fossil fuels to electric will happen very rapidly and will probably happen much faster than anyone anticipates. Someone laughed at me when I made the prediction that within 20 years we will have a boat that is 100% powered by solar and electric and will run at hull speed indefinitely. We are already on the cusp of 50% efficient solar cell panels and batteries with properties unlike any we have seen. Add advances to electric engines that use gallium and/or other new materials and we see that's it not just advances in one area that will make this possible but in many fields working together.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:36   #6

Quote:
I really do think that the transition from fossil fuels to electric will happen very rapidly and will probably happen much faster than anyone anticipates. Someone laughed at me when I made the prediction that within 20 years we will have a boat that is 100% powered by solar and electric and will run at hull speed indefinitely. We are already on the cusp of 50% efficient solar cell panels and batteries with properties unlike any we have seen. Add advances to electric engines that use gallium and/or other new materials and we see that's it not just advances in one area that will make this possible but in many fields working together.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Much the same way that the shift from Main Frame computers to PC's happened.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Much the same way that the shift from Main Frame computers to PC's happened.
So true. I remember a DEC 50 Meg drive costing $250K Oh those were fun days using Univac's and programming in Fortran and Assembler. I remember telling people back in the 80's that the time will come when every home would have a computer and how was I laughed at.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:50   #9

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If you have been around for 20 years, you would know they announce new battery tech every year, and it never meets the promises. NEVER. Maybe a few actually gone into production, always at way higher prices than promised.
That said, 'everyone' is looking to find the next battery, and eventually someone will get it right, and it can change everything rather quickly.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2015, 13:58   #10

Quote:
Carbon is environmentally safe? I thought it was the worst evil ever created!

I assume a car with carbon batteries will still be subject to a carbon tax?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 16:49   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I suspect it will be decades before we see significant reduction in dependancy on fossil fuel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2015, 17:00   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I suspect it will be decades before we see significant reduction in dependancy on fossil fuel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree, especially for transportation. The infrastructure is in place to deliver fossil fuel for transportation use. Switching that infrastructure for *any* other energy form will be very slow. I think that a *real* game changer would be in a fuel cell which runs on multiple fossil fuel types and can efficiently convert those hydrocarbons to electrical power on the vehicle. This will give us electric cars sans messy battery's. A good cheap fuel cell would change the world.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:03   #13

solid carbon is safe. It's carbon dioxide that destroys the ecosystem. Trees and charcoal and human body's are all carbon based and until they are oxidised they are not a danger. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:17   #14

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Well Toyota thinks we are all going to use Hydrogen fools cells..

The purpose these kind of announcements serve is to get you to WAIT, to not ACT, not do what you can NOW. The fact is electricity can be generated from a wide variety of sources, from coal, nat gas, hydrogen, diesel, solar, wind, tides, rivers, rain, geothermal, ethanol, biofuel, horses going around in circles, kites, and pedals on a bike, etc, etc, etc.

To get there you need an electric motor propulsion system first.
Old 08-03-2015, 17:25   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd tell you that we have an electrical propulsion system, maybe even argue that we have a storage system, but we do not have anywhere near the generating capacity to even supplement fossil fuels to any real significant amount. Hydrogen is great, takes electricity though to get a significant amount of it, so in the respect, hydrogen is a battery.
Anybody up for Large scale Nuclear power generation, or truly massive coal burning plants?

Breakthrough I think will be in electrical power generation, maybe fission?
Talking terrestrial here, not boating, although maybe truly large ships?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote