Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2007, 21:31   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 36i
LED Cabin Lights: They Work Great + A Picture

I just replaced one of the overhead Halogen light fixtures with a Warm Flood LED from Dr. LED. I must say that it provides an amazing amount of great warm light and draws less than 0.096 (about one tenth) of an amp.

Look at the image below ... it shows the interior of my boat at night with only the new single LED light on (the single light contains approximately 18 little LEDs). I took the picture with my iPhone so don't expect great quality ... but it illustrates my findings well.

I am now going to replace all of the lights on my boat with these Dr. LEDs

Ambiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 22:02   #2

That's good to know. I bought a bunch, but they made it just about light enough to find your way around if you had great night vision.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 22:07   #3

Did you get the Dr. LEDs or another brand?
Old 18-12-2007, 22:14   #4

Whatever WM (I know, my fault) was selling at the time. I'll certainly give Dr. LED a try. I really wanted LED lights for the interior and it made me really mad that they were so "eh".
Old 18-12-2007, 22:17   #5

Is this the model you got?

https://www.professorled.com/catalog...products_id=49
Old 18-12-2007, 22:24   #6

No ... the one linked below. It fits the light fixtures in my 2007 Jeanneau 36i perfectly.

https://www.professorled.com/catalog...products_id=34
Old 19-12-2007, 02:50   #7

Boat: Catalina 30
The container says "recessed" but they look like they would work fine as surface mount too eh?

The $49.99 price is pretty high it seems (but likely worth it). That is for one isn't it?
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 03:26   #8

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
The light looks great.

And that's a great picture inside - to be taken with a phone.

The other thing that struck me (embarrassingly).

How do you you keep the yacht that clean?
yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 04:04   #9

come on rodney dont be modest.. you cant cut a 75 foot boat in half and not have a bit of dust about ..? As from previous posts I built LED nav lights and internals to solve my own problems. I have loved it ever since. I have never run out of running lights or internal power since. They have been in for five years now and the bagging that I got for having unaproved lights (*from forums on the net) while I watched boats nav lights fade over night as i was sailing with them is ... : ) Even if you are lucky enough to have a mega power imput setup, to have a simple nav and a couple of nessesary internals that will last for two weeks pluss...yes plusss on an average battery charge takes a bit of stress out. To make life easy i wired the clasic brass and incandesant light (i love the way my little boat looks 40 years old) with two more tiny switches and leds . One set red the other white. When I go to bed I leave the red ones on till morning. It makes it easy to have a piss in the middle of the night, adds a glow around the boat when its on anchor that helps to stop people run into me, and makes stuff all differance to the battery charge. For thems who want to play..The house lights each have 4 leds and a resistor. for each colour. The nav lights have _ Lowers P and S 8 same with the stern . The red over green mast head ( going to start a post on this legal arangement again soon) also 8, the anchor white ,masthead 12. I can run the lot all night yep inside and out...and my one 10 watt panel will keep pace. I am not advicating spartan, simply a solution...you flatten the house batterys from watching gripping DVD...you can still have lights enough on using your engine start B AND be able to start the motor in the morning... (in joke for the Aussise "you know it makes sense"))
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 04:07   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420
How do you find the colour of the light? I am very attracted to the notion of LED lights but those that I've seen have a harsher colour than halogens. It's quite possible that after a period of time I wouldn't notice but my first impressions are that where halogens give a "warm" feel, the LEDs that I saw gave a "cold" feel.
Old 19-12-2007, 04:25   #11

absolute truth... white LEDS have a bluish tinge that I find harsh, infact annoying. But... I run the white and red at the same time which helps. If I am cooking I flick the incadesant on from time to time just to really see. If I am reading for an extended time i use a very low wattage fluro cause me poor old eyes cant cope. Travelling a t night though you only need a low light level. Chart reading is good because you dont need to spend a heap of time readjusting from the brightness. Just chillin.. the glow of a red LED in the corner as your eyes start to get heavy.......cheers
people goodnight !!
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 06:13   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i doubt the LED will ever have a warm feel to them. they are cold lights. for the price of a few LEDs you could almost add a new battery to your bank. i guess i'm not sold on them yet due to the price.
Old 19-12-2007, 07:46   #13

Boat: Maxim 380
Has anyone had success with replacing their halogen bulbs with Leds instead of replacing the entire fixture?
Tropic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 16:48   #14

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic1 View Post
Has anyone had success with replacing their halogen bulbs with Leds instead of replacing the entire fixture?
Thanks for asking my question
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 12:27   #15

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West | New efficient bulb sees the light

A new type of super-efficient household light bulb is being developed which could spell the end of regular bulbs.

Tags
cabin, led lights