Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2007, 12:54   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Ireplaced all my halogen with LED. I am very happy. I think they look great. I got mine off ebay I had some trouble figuring out the base style. Once you know your base you can replace. Sorry I dont remember the sizes, I need to learn to write things down. But the info you need is out there. You can just replace the bulb and you can even get a dimmer for LED lights. I know they cost more, But if you reduce the electric use you dont have to upgrade altinator or batteries. Sorry I dont have the info close.
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 16:01   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Does anyone know of a good source of 24v LED Light fixtures and bulbs ?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 19:41   #18

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
LED Lights

I have installed LED lights in my boat during re-fit and find them great.

Bought them through one of our regular hardware supplier. They are very slimline and flat, and could even be rebated into an overhead shelf or similar.

Very happy with the light they give and the minimal power consumption vs equivilent amount of light from halogen/fluro/incandescent.

Early LED technology was a little unreliable, but lots of the probems have been ironed out and lights should last almost forever.

No interference to create static with radios and other electrical items on board like some fluros do either.

Fair Winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 20:43   #19

Any reason why us cheap b***ards couldn't salvage new tailights, turnlights etc. from the local auto breaker as all the new ones seem to be 12 volt led's Fixing up a housing shouldn't be difficult and say a suitably sized luxo car led rear light would make a pretty effective running red for the boat ; weather sealed in the bargain

Have to go look at a few of those.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 20:46   #20

Boat: 44 footer
Seer, excellent idea!

Particularly for nav lighting. Wonder if they use red LED's, or just a red lens like normal?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:29   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
For high powered Led lights that are even dimmable and have red or bleu night lights installed as well look at
www.frensch.de
We have worked with the for 3 years and they are fantastic
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01   #22

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
For high powered Led lights that are even dimmable and have red or bleu night lights installed as well look at
www.frensch.de
We have worked with the for 3 years and they are fantastic
Is the URL correct? It doesn't work for me.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02   #23

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
In our settee area we have four new warm light LEDs which are side mount LEDs for recessed lighting. They provide more light than the 10 watt halogens they replace and are close to the same color. We have them on a dimmer. About $20 a piece. I used the west marine ones several years ago and they weren't bright enough to read by, then went to clustered round spherical LED bulbs which didn't last very long (seemed to burn out in groups and lasted less than a year). The ones I have now look like flat square LEDs and are FAR brighter and perfectly reliable.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
In our settee area we have four new warm light LEDs which are side mount LEDs for recessed lighting. They provide more light than the 10 watt halogens they replace and are close to the same color. We have them on a dimmer. About $20 a piece. I used the west marine ones several years ago and they weren't bright enough to read by, then went to clustered round spherical LED bulbs which didn't last very long (seemed to burn out in groups and lasted less than a year). The ones I have now look like flat square LEDs and are FAR brighter and perfectly reliable.
is it possible to send a link please schoonerdog ?

greetings
Gideon
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07   #25

ugh....I purchased them at the Annapolis Sailboat Show. I'll take one out of the fixtures and see if there is something from the manufacturer. They are bright enought that I use the dimmer to adjust them down at night. I'll find out where they are made and send along a photo of the light they produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
is it possible to send a link please schoonerdog ?

greetings
Gideon
Old 09-01-2008, 23:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
ugh....I purchased them at the Annapolis Sailboat Show. I'll take one out of the fixtures and see if there is something from the manufacturer. They are bright enought that I use the dimmer to adjust them down at night. I'll find out where they are made and send along a photo of the light they produce.

I'm down for that also SD, I'm just now re-evaluating my lighting and the led clusters I've seen are expensive and don't get it done in my eyes.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 23:16   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

here is the good link for frensch lighting
Welcome to Frensch Lighting

they make very nice led lights , multi voltage and dimmable in normal and warm white
Old 10-01-2008, 04:59   #28

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
My .02 worth on LED

We have been on a continuing experiment for the last 2 years with LED's. Here is our concensus...

Dr. LED is amazing! All of our nav lights (tricolor, bow, stern, etc.) They are bright and dependable (as dependable as the Aqua Signal Series 40 fixtures...) Don't shortcut and buy a white bulb for red/green uses... the wavelength of color is important... colored bulb with colored lens makes a very bright light. Doctor LED, Dr. LED, is a designer and manufacturer of LED-based lighting solutions for landscape, marine, boat, RVs, cars, solar panel, interior, and outdoor applications.

For interior lights we like Sensibulb. SCADTechnologies, Sensibulb LED and available through FourWinds too. They just plug into existing fixtures so the entire retrofit takes 5 minutes (4 1/2 of which are dedicated to unscrewing and reattaching the cabin light lens & screws.) The light is a bright white instead of whe dim blue-ish - white that Perko & others give.

BTW Precision Lighting's 18white & 18 white/18 red aren't worth their weight... good mood lighting but not bright enough to read by and half of the whites are out after a year.

That's my input...
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 16:59   #29

I'll have to get the picture yet of them in use, but this is what they are. Took forever to find them online.
G4 DC 6 Led Warm White Led Bulb 8v-30v DC. They rate them as using 1/10th of an amp and the equivalent of a 20 watt bulb. I do know that I replaced 10 watt halogens and found these were in fact brighter. I really do like these vs the typical round cluster bulbs, far superior.
Old 10-01-2008, 22:14   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 36i
Just an update ... I just finished installing LEDs from "Dr. LED" throughout my entire boat. here is a pic of my cabin at night with 6 LED lights on. I have to say that I am quite amazed by how far the technology has come ....

On a side note, I also just replaced my Aqua Signal Nav Light bulbs (just the bulbs, not the fixtures) with $20 Dr. LEDs and they are about three times as bright as the old halogen bulbs while drawing less than 1/10th of an amp each ...

Ambiance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, led lights