Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 15:07   #16

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Isolation Transformer

The Victron Isolation transformer converts 110V to 230V or 230V to 110V. It does not change the frequency.

Here is the brochure: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...formers-EN.pdf
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 16:14   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I don't think so. If you put 230v in, you get 230v out. So if your in Europe and have 230 single phase, and want to get 115v, you have to use the auto transformer to create the neutral between the 230v. The Charles had a center tap on the transformer that allowed this easily.
Old 06-02-2018, 16:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I don't think so. If you put 230v in, you get 230v out. So if your in Europe and have 230 single phase, and want to get 115v, you have to use the auto transformer to create the neutral between the 230v. The Charles had a center tap on the transformer that allowed this easily.
My boat was 110V 60Hz. I connected to S. Pacific 230V 50Hz shore power and I had 110V 50Hz on board. I had the non-auto 3600W Victron Isolation transformer... If you had a different experience with the same equipment, you were doing something wrong.

Read the manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...L-FR-DE-ES.pdf
Old 06-02-2018, 21:07   #19

I did not mean to sound harsh in my last post. It's been a long day...

The non-auto Victron isolation transformer does the same thing as the auto version. On the non-auto version, you just have to change a couple of jumpers and you can up-convert or down-convert the incoming voltage. It does work. I chose the non-auto version because I wanted to reduce complexity (electronics) and future problems.
Old 06-02-2018, 22:10   #20

Boat: Kaufman 47

We decided not to go with a transformer on our boat. We have a basic Victron Phoenix battery charger that can do power supply and take 110-230v 50-60hz and charge our batteries. From there we are 90% 12v on board and will have an inverter soon. We can connect to shore power and just turn on the battery charger in any country. Or I can pigtail just the battery charger if need be. We do have a 50a ELCI main breaker and a DEI galvanic isolator before our main distribution panel. There will be a switch for the shore/inverter connection when the inverter gets connected.

Being a mostly 12v boat we didn't see the reason for the expense of a transformer. But I figured I would share another way.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:31   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I did not mean to sound harsh in my last post. It's been a long day...

The non-auto Victron isolation transformer does the same thing as the auto version. On the non-auto version, you just have to change a couple of jumpers and you can up-convert or down-convert the incoming voltage. It does work. I chose the non-auto version because I wanted to reduce complexity (electronics) and future problems.
That's all right, you are right. I didn't know that but am glad to now.
Old 05-05-2018, 17:31   #22

Boat: Kings Legend 41

Any concerns for heat? I have been considering a Charles G2 but I'm concerned about the amount of heat it will give off. If I install it in the aft stateroom I have concern for the amount of heat in a sleeping quarter. If I position it in my alternate location it will be near a 500Ah battery bank, I'd prefer not to expose the battery bank to excessive heat when plugged in. Any comments on how much heat a Charles Marine G2 3.8Kv transformer produces? I was told to expect output similar to a portable quartz halogen workshop light.
SV FlyingSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 18:34   #23

The more you draw out of the transformer the more heat you will get from it. According to the Charles tech support web site the range of temperature is from 0 to 50C. If the space the transformer is installed in is enclosed space even a warm transformer will become hot over time if no ventilation.
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 20:08   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
You will have to answer two questions:

1. How much time will you spend in marinas, rather than on the hook?

2. To what extent does your boat and your boating lifestyle depend upon 120v?

I personally would opt for other solutions unless I had specific plans to stay in marinas and run the air conditioning.
We are planning a 3-5 year trip with many ports of call and varying standards, I like to have options.
I'm, already rewiring the boat so putting in an isolation transformer would not be that much more work, if I could get one for $275.00 it would be well worth the price. We won't be staying in marinas much but when you need to you usually really need to.
The boat already has a 5kw generator and a pretty up to date charging system but for those days when we need to stay in a marina I'd like to protect my internal systems. It won't be often, but even with the limited periods I've stayed in marinas I've run into issues with the marina electrical systems.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 21:09   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We have a US 120/240V 60Hz boat and installed a Victron Isolation transformer. We configure it to output 240V regardless of input (120 or 240V). This 240V output is fed into a Victron Quattro 3kW 230V/50Hz unit. You can reprogram it to 240V/60Hz which we did. It also has a genset input that is 240V/60Hz so there is no 120V involved and no balancing issues.

The output of the Quattro is connected to a Victron Autotransformer which creates a new Neutral so that you get the familiar 120-0-120 again. Any unbalance is taken care of by the Autotransformer.

These transformers are 9 years old and still work perfectly
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:53   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Windcastle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 14:22   #27

An often overlooked feature of these transformers is complete electrical isolation between your boat and shore power. In addition to saving your zincs it also prevents a ground fault interuption in marinas that have GFI breakers.
If any of your green ground wires touch any of your white neutral wires in your boat you will trip the GFI breaker on the dock.
Old 06-05-2018, 17:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcastle1 View Post
An often overlooked feature of these transformers is complete electrical isolation between your boat and shore power. In addition to saving your zincs it also prevents a ground fault interuption in marinas that have GFI breakers.
If any of your green ground wires touch any of your white neutral wires in your boat you will trip the GFI breaker on the dock.

the transformer then becomes a band aid for other problems... no properly wired boat should trip a GFI. if it does, find and fix your issues first.

the safty issue is does add is if a dock ground has no ground or a bad dock ground, the iso transformer will still trip a shorted to ground issue on the boat. IE stove hot wire shorts out to metal frame of appliance. in a house that would trip the breaker, in a good wired marina it will trip the breaker, if the dock ground is poor and can't handle 15+ amps it will no trip anything.
the iso transformer creating new ground on the boat, will trip breakers no mater how bad the dock ground is.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 19:24   #29

It is a band aid and it should be corrected but until it is fixed it solves an immediate problem until resolved as well with all of the previously described benefits.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:17   #30
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Post #28: Spot on.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote