Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2014, 16:11   #1

Boat: '46 Creekmore
Talking Interconnecting/Bus Bar Battery Cable Lengths - Some Closure

Hi All!

I am pretty confident in the set up that I have going right now. I am just looking for a bit of confirmation by the pro's. I have (8) Trojan L16H-AC batteries. There are two banks that each are comprised of four batteries. Two in series to make 12v and then two strings of two in parallel for a nominal 12v 870Ahr @ a C20 discharge.

After much due diligence, I understand that the wires that are doing the series connections should be the same length and gauge, and that the wires that are paralleling the two strings together are to be the same length and gauge. The Hot and Ground runs that will come from opposite diagonals of the respective bank will also be the same length from the terminal post to the respective Bus Bar ( + or - ).

This said, it is not required that ALL interconnecting cables be the same length and gauge. Albeit, ALL of the series cables should be the same L&G and ALL of the paralleling cables be the same L&G.

In essence, this is to achieve an equal length of cable between the batteries connections and the runs to their respective bus bars.

PIC 1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch2614223.png
Views:	457
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	86004

Purple Bank is Bank 1
Orange Bank is Bank 2
All Paralleling cables (green) are same length and gauge (16.5" x 1/0 AWG)
All Series cables (yellow) are same length and gauge ( 5" x 1/0 AWG)
The cables that will connect to the (+)Bus and (-)Bus for each bank (blue) will also be of equal length. Said another way, bank 1's "blue" cables (+&-) will be the same length to the common Bus bars, Likewise for Orange, but Oranges will be shorter since the common Bus bars are located at the bottom of the drawing in reference to the two banks.

PIC 2

Name:	Sketch26155423.png
Views:	547
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	86009

Both banks are fuse protected at the (+) terminal with a BSS Terminal fuse block (PN 5191) and a 250A fuse (PN 5189). I have the system fused as such since we do have a 3000w inverter and want the ability to crank the engine from the house Bank/Banks.

I have the two banks wired to the same Bus bar for charging with Blue sea's switches (PN 9006) to isolate which one is charging and which is being used for house loads. There will be a second Hot lead from each bank that will run to a 1/2/BOTH switch. This switch will determine which Bank (or both) will power house loads and crank the battery in the event that the dedicated starter bank fails.

PIC 3

Name:	20140802_155944.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	86010

The hot lead from each battery bank (labeled A&B in this pic) will terminate in a 1/2/BOTH switch that will determine which bank/Banks will supply house/cranking loads. From the House Selector switch, one cable will go to the house distribution panel, the other will go to a second 1/2/BOTH switch that will determine where the cranking load will come from.
( I plan to have it on the cranking battery unless there is a cranking battery failure).

That pretty much all!

Thank you all in advance for your input and constructive criticism!
jordiebsocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery