Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51   #31

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
A few comments:

I agree with daddle, 125 amps is a lot. I have a smaller Balmar alternator, I think it's 85 amps and if it is running "full bore" it sure drags my little Yanmar 3cyl down. I'll bet I go from about 30 HP down to 25 and I can tell on the engine load.

I understand the AYBC issues and the fact that it's a mostly volunteer organization and they can't really afford to just give away the standards. At the same time if the insurance companies are going to disallow claims if you don't meet all AYBC standards then they ought to underwrite at least the cost of online access to AYBC standards. It's kind of like saying "You gotta follow the rules but we ain't gonna tell you what they are!!" I don't know if they really disallow claims for not following AYBC but that's the general urban legend. I am pretty sure you'd better follow COLREGS and even that may not be enough.

I went through my files and I have pdf copies of AYBC T-5 (Safety Signs and Labels, dated 7/02), E-2 (Cathodic Protection, dated 7/01), and E-11 (AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats, dated 7/03). These may be out of date and I'd be interested if any AYBC member could let me know. But, they are a start!! I'm not sure where I got these. Probably by tracking down some bunch of links through Google and even this forum. I guess if they are copyrighted, I'd not want to post them anywhere.

I was able to read the National Fire Protection Association building codes for residential wiring after a lot of shenanigans and a free "membership" in the NFPA. But they have them on their website in a fashion that can't be copied (easily by a non-hacker) and can't be conveniently searched. So, they are a real drag for extracting a small piece of information out of hundreds of pages.

If anyone can confirm that there is a less expensive "membership" in AYBC that will get access to the standards, I'd sure be interested. I'm not a boat professional and $250 seems a little high for my uses. Calder's books and a few others give lots of good information and sometimes may exceed the standards. Also, in AYBC E-11 they state that the US Coast Guard has set mandatory standards for the US in CFR 183. But if you've never tried to read the CFR you'd better get ready for some tough going.

Speaking of which there is an article By Nigel Calder in one of the most recent "Sail" magazines that has a very interesting two page article about charging systems. His main point is that running your engine just to charge the batteries is VERY inefficient.

Bill
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm a little surprised nobody has brought up this thread...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...line-9140.html

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56   #33

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
Aha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I'm a little surprised nobody has brought up this thread...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...line-9140.html
I'll bet that's where I got my copies!! I like to keep the pdf files on my computer so I can get them while on board.
Old 11-11-2010, 13:14   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The on-line standards was never a link to on-line standards, they were PROPOSED revisions to the standards which may or may not have changed before being adopted.

Bill, you might try asking a reference librarian if they either have the ABYC standards, or can get a copy on interlibrary loan. That's how people used to obtain expensive standards before there was an internet.

These are "professional organizations" and yes, PO's have always priced their product high to make sure it is used by their members to earn a living, not given away to anyone who wants to skip the membership fees and just skim the cream.

I may also prefer to see free standards, but something has to fund those organizations, and this is how they all do it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 13:51   #35

Boat: Sunbeam 37
Re: More of the same

Hey Bill,
I´m a Sunbeam37 owner sailing at the Baltic Sea.
Would you like to join my social group "sunbeam yachts"?

Greetings from Germany
Armin
Fleur de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 22:46   #36

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage
Re: More of the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
....And, I decided while doing this to redo my engine battery charging by eliminating the house/engine/both switch and going to a Balmar Digital DuoCharge. That will (hopefully) simplify things and will "smart charge" my engine battery....l
Wow lots of ideas flying around here - but I must correct the above statement which is often misinterpreted by many. Balmar DuoCharge is NOT a smart multi-stage charger. It is a Smart charger in so much as it will adjust the output voltage to preset values to match the destination bank. So if an absorption voltage of 14.6v is on the input, the output voltage can be set to 14.1v. If the input voltage drops down to a float of 13.8v, the output voltage can be set to drop down to 13.2v. But it will not drop the destination voltage down to float when that bank is charged. It does not regulate independently of the house bank - so it could still overcharge the destination bank.

Their website "Suggests" it is a multi-stage regulator, but I have had long emails with Balmar about this and they admit that it is not, that would make it a much more expensive product, but watch this space they say.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator