Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 14:09   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
How do I connect to these terminals

I am replacing my mppt controllers with a victron model. On my current controller, I used terminal rings heat shrinked and crimped onto the wire ten attached to screw terminals.

The victron looks like it is press fit in the wire directly? See pic. Is this an acceptable way to attach. It seems there is no strain relief.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_170354.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	170202Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_170846_001.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	170203
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 14:15   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: How do I connect to these terminals

Strip the wire, insert, tighten the screw. You provide the strain relief by your wire routing.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 14:27   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Normally a bootlace ferrule is used, extremely common in industrial electronics.

Bootlace Ferrules For Sale | Turner Electronics
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 14:33   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks. Do they make them with heat shrink sleeves like I have with my current crimp connectors, and do you need a special crimp tool for these or can I use the one I got through mainsails web site?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 14:45   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I haven't seen any with integral heat shrink sleeves but that doesn't mean someone doesn't make them. You could use off the shelf heat shrink sleeving.

I have only ever used a "bootlace ferrule crimper" for these fittings.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:00   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bootlace ferrule? Interesting. That's one I'd never heard of (here in the States) yet. It looks more like the aiglet, the plastic tip on shoelaces.

But those compression "sockets" tend to come in two styles. One, where a screw simply bears down on the trapped wire. That's intended to be used on solid wires. The other, more expensive, has a trapped metal plate, and the screw pushes the plate against the trapped wire--so stranded wires can be used without being chewed up by the screw. Inserting a small metal shim or tinning the end of a stranded wire can accomplish the same thing.

I've found it often makes good sense to accomplish a "strain relief" not by modifying the wire, but simply by looping it back to a hard point, so any strain is taken up at a mounting point, and not in the connection.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:15   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bootlace ferrule? Interesting. That's one I'd never heard of (here in the States) yet. It looks more like the aiglet, the plastic tip on shoelaces.
These bootlace ferrules work well for non-solid wires, here is some detailed info: https://expressassembliesltdsite.wor...tlace-ferrule/

Oops, just noticed Wotname posted a similar link, well, here is a second one
Old 21-05-2018, 08:14   #8

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

strip the insulation back and solder the end so that it becomes solid then insert.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:29   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've used similar termination systems on solar installations, and generally found them unreliable and inferior compared to ring terminals. The wires work loose, and any moisture wicks its way into the wire and also corrodes the terminal. You can improve things a bit by tinning the end of the wire.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:33   #10

Boat: Hunter 30

I had the same controller. You need to loosen the screw and make sure the little clamp opens up or you can't insert the wire enough to be secured. I used a small screw driver to push it open. Most of them opened fine but a few needed some help. I just stuck in the wire and tightened. Had no problem.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:40   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
strip the insulation back and solder the end so that it becomes solid then insert.
Yeah, tinning the wire seems to work much better that just stripping off the insulation and connecting, but I have both at the moment (on my $18.00 PWM controller) so either will work

I have two panels hooked to the one controller in parallel so it does get a little tight at the connection point on the controller with two wires in each solar hookup point
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 10:31   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

Consult the installation manual. Everything I have seen says do not tin the wires. This type of connection depends on the ability to compress the strands slightly to make a good connection. Tinning the wire prevents it from being compressed.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:05   #13
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
[...]The victron looks like it is press fit in the wire directly? See pic. Is this an acceptable way to attach. It seems there is no strain relief.[...]

Either crimp on pins or ferrules (with integrated strain relief) would be better for this application than stripped wire ends. See pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crimp_pin.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	170281   Click image for larger version

Name:	ferrule.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	170282  

mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:49   #14

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I had the same problem. I mounted a terminal block directly beneath each of my regulators, connected the regulators to the top row of terminals and the second row of terminals, which were strapped under the blocks to the first row, carried the battery feeds.

I find that tinning the wires makes no difference to the connectability of them in Fahnstock or other spring-loaded terminals--and tinned copper suffers less from corrosion. I always use it with direct current--no exceptions.

The terminal blocks were heavy-duty Bakelite and screwed on to the same epoxy-saturated 9 mm plywood mounting board as was each of the regulators, making the whole thing strong, water-resistant and comparatively compact and easily fitted almost anywhere on the vessel.

For the input leads I used tinned 6 mm cable, then removed some of the strands and re-twisted them to enter the regulators. For the outlet leads the same 6 mm, but I terminated these using ring terminals crimped on to the 6 mm tinned wires and soldered as an extra. On each termination I fitted colour-coded terminals. Positive red--negative black or blue.

I never use anything other than tinned 6-mm wire for any low voltage application using low current drain, and where possible I run all of my wiring in square or rectangular re-enterable PVC conduits. I just use extra fuses at the equipment to prevent damage. For high currents I use tinned welding cable or (if you have a military disposals facility nearby, all sorts of expensive stuff can be purchased for comparatively little money--since most aircraft systems are DC and usually low voltage electro-hydraulic --and TINNED for some applications.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 14:29   #15

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

The manual mentions nothing about bootlace ferrules or soldering. 8 months with no issues here with just stripped wires.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote