Ok, I really need some serious guru help on this one.
I have 2x100W solar panels
in series giving 24V. I have two banks of 2x12volt flooded lead acid batteries
in series to give 24V. The two banks are independent with a battery
switch in between (Off, #1 or #2 or Both). The elephant in the room is one bank of batteries
gets up to 32.5V on its regulator
while the other floats nicely at 27.5V. I can switch the same panels
to either bank. Bank #1 same panels
, same model reg, 27.5V float. Bank #2, same panels, same model reg, 32.5V....Any Ideas? I thought ok bad Bank #2 regulator
, changed it out, same result. I thought bad wiring
. Wired the regulator directly to the batteries, no big battery cables
or anything else in between, same result. Decided the only odd one out was the cable connecting the two Bank #2 batteries in series, changed it out, same result.
What the F.....is going on?
I assumed there was a millivolt drop across an Ok but at low current
relatively poor connection, causing the regulator to not see actual battery voltage, but my efforts to eliminate that idea have not borne any fruit. What next? Cable length? Doubtful as the bank that works just fine (Bank #1) is on the other side of the hull
, so has much longer cables
. Battery condition? Bank #1 is older batteries. Bank #2 brand new, because this over voltage kills them and I would really like to stop that happening.
This has been on-going for quite some time. I'm on the 2nd solar
reg for this bank and the 3rd set of batteries. Yet I am no closer to solving the problem.
I want Bank #2 up, charged and at float as it runs the auto bilge pump
and I really, really, really want that to work
A clue, might be, my anodes are eaten away pretty quickly. I found one wiring
error by the Previous Owner. A switched negative at the helm
panel with positive always on to the auto bilge pump
. Don't ask me how I found that....nearly sunk the boat
. But as far as I can tell all wiring errors are eliminated (I'm an electronics
tech/engineer, so pretty sure). Mains does have an isolator in the earth line, but I don't use mains power. So that's not causing the depletion or the regulator issue.
I'll be keen to see if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.