Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 14:21   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Hour Meters Have Stopped Working on Both 4JH4AE Yanmar Displays

Howzit Forum members ... I need some assistance. Both my Yanmar 4JH4AE electronic hourmeters have stopped displaying. I believe they operate from an impulse on the alternator ? (so someone tells me anyway).

What are the usual checks and how does one go about rectifying this issue ... accurate engine hours are very important to me
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:03   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Hour meters stopped working on both 4JH4AE Yanmar displays

The tach works off the alternator, but the hour meters just run when 12V is present in the system. Check all the wires and connections to the control panel and to the D+ post on the alternator.

I am not familiar enough with Yanmar panels, but the Volvo digital hour meters go out all the time and there isn't really much to do to get them back.

I have installed inexpensive hour meters on the engines to keep track of hours.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:23   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi
Howzit Forum members ... I need some assistance. Both my Yanmar 4JH4AE electronic hourmeters have stopped displaying. I believe they operate from an impulse on the alternator ? (so someone tells me anyway).

What are the usual checks and how does one go about rectifying this issue ... accurate engine hours are very important to me
I have never seen a single engine with two hour meters. Do you have 2 engines and 2 meters or 1 engine and 2 meters?

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:36   #4

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

The Tachs work off the same signal. Leaving the key on does not usually run the houres up unless there is a signal present. (That is what Yacht brokers say when the engines have too many hours) Most tach/hr combo units have simple stepper motors that drive a mechanical display (like a car speedo) or they have a digital display that works off the signal processor. Either work as long as there is a tach signal present. If the tachs work... the hour meter function is likely bad. Get a few cheap hour meters and put them inside somewhere out of the weather.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 22:07   #5

I have two Yanmar engines with two displays ... both hour meters are down ... not at the same time ... one went down shortly before the other.

The suggestion / s to get a regular cheap hour meter is probably the way I will have to go but it would be nice to keep the original kit all in working order ... just cant figure out how this meter gets it's signal
Old 09-02-2012, 22:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The tach works off the alternator, but the hour meters just run when 12V is present in the system. Check all the wires and connections to the control panel and to the D+ post on the alternator.

I am not familiar enough with Yanmar panels, but the Volvo digital hour meters go out all the time and there isn't really much to do to get them back.

I have installed inexpensive hour meters on the engines to keep track of hours.

Mark
Thanks Mark ... from what I can see it seems all wiring is in tact ...
Old 10-02-2012, 04:58   #7

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi
I have two Yanmar engines with two displays ... both hour meters are down ... not at the same time ... one went down shortly before the other.

The suggestion / s to get a regular cheap hour meter is probably the way I will have to go but it would be nice to keep the original kit all in working order ... just cant figure out how this meter gets it's signal
Then it seems most likely that the meters are bad. Below is a simple test that may help you prove that.

I also have a Yanmar panel an d the hour meter is contained in the tachometer housing. I am pretty sure that the hour meter runs just off 12V but I'll check it next time I'm on the boat. If you can figure out which 2 wires are for the hour meter you can test it.

Think about where these meters are mounted. Are they in a location that is hot when the engine is running? Is there a lot of vibration on the panel where they are mounted? These are the 2 main contributors to hour meter failure. It might benefit the meters' lifetime to mount them in a cooler location with less vibration. Also, hour meters are generally not waterproof unless mounted in a special case.

Good luck,
Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
The Tachs work off the same signal. Leaving the key on does not usually run the houres up unless there is a signal present. (That is what Yacht brokers say when the engines have too many hours) Most tach/hr combo units have simple stepper motors that drive a mechanical display (like a car speedo) or they have a digital display that works off the signal processor. Either work as long as there is a tach signal present. If the tachs work... the hour meter function is likely bad. Get a few cheap hour meters and put them inside somewhere out of the weather.
On our alternators, the tach and hour meter do not work off the same signal. The tach is taken from the W post, which is a pulsed signal from the stator. The hour meter is powered from the D+ post, which is a constant DC voltage.

So the tach can work just fine while the hour meter doesn't, and vice versa.

The alternator has to be working for both to operate, so the key switch isn't involved other than to start the engine.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Thanks Mark ... from what I can see it seems all wiring is in tact ...
The digital Volvo hour meters are notorious for not displaying. They still work fine and continue to count hours correctly, but they just do not display that information. Once in a while ours start to display again for a short period of time and I check their readings against the separate hour meters. The readings have continued to match exactly for the past 5 years.

Mark

Old 10-02-2012, 05:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hour Meters Have Stopped Working on Both 4JH4AE Yanmar Displays

You can download your Service Manual
Here ➥ https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B59...thkey=CMrgofgD

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Hi GordMay - went through the manual ... they refer to a number of Yanmar panel types (eg, BxB type, C type etc.) but do not display a drawing to show which type panel we have.

Any idea where I can get some picture or diagram to identify my type panel?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Perhaps ➥ LAGOON Catamaran - construction, vente et location - constructeur catamaran de luxe, bateau de plaisance et de croisère

Or ➥ lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24   #13

The hour meters I've had continue to run when the key is on. Nanni, Volvo, Perkins, and Yanmar. Maybe some of them are tied to an electronic interface...? That's the problem!! Get a basic , good hour meter that runs of the key switch. (NAPA Autoparts) Actuall, it's a good thing they do.... I can hear the clicking if I've forgotten to turn off the key!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38   #14

Are these the analog tach displays with integral digital hour counter? If so, by "stopped displaying", do you mean they went blank? If so, I can offer assistance. Iv'e repaired a few with this common problem with VDO gauges. They might have the Yanmar label on them, but they are VDO. Even when on, they will not increase in count unless there is tach drive input.

The B type panel only has the tach gauge. The C type also has temp and oil press gauges.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
Are these the analog tach displays with integral digital hour counter? If so, by "stopped displaying", do you mean they went blank? If so, I can offer assistance. Iv'e repaired a few with this common problem with VDO gauges. They might have the Yanmar label on them, but they are VDO. Even when on, they will not increase in count unless there is tach drive input.

The B type panel only has the tach gauge. The C type also has temp and oil press gauges.

Eric
Hi Eric,

So what is the fix? Ours are blank, but still counting hours.

Mark

Tags
yanmar