Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 19:28   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Honda 20i (Honda 2000) - New Carb and Ignition Control Module and will not start

Hi,

Hoping some suggestions from the forum. Our Honda 2000 (Actually a Honda 20i bought in Mexico) has worked so reliably in our several years of full time cruising. It did about 20,000 nm secured on the aft deck in its custom cover with no problems until ... I did not tie it down as securely as normal and it got knocked over and took a few waves between the Marshall Is and Tikopia.

I followed the troubleshooting in the repair manual and based on that replaced the Ignition Control Module (after waiting a month for the parts). Since the carb was a mess and I was already paying a fortune in shipping I also bought a new carb.

So now it has a new carb, new ignition control module, new spark plug, newish fuel and it will still not start.

There is a spark and fuel is getting to the combustion chamber.

I have also tried starting it with the throttle put manually in different positions.

Any ideas ?

Could it be an issue with the valves ?

I had to reuse the carb gaskets as I ordered or was sent the wrong ones. Could that be the problem ? Not a lot of space to use sealant.

I am so frustrated I would take it to a shop if there was one here in Port Vila.

Thanks,
Fluenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 20:46   #2

Re: Honda 20i (Honda 2000) - New Carb and Ignition Control Module and will not start

I am also a big fan of the portables and specially the Mod 2200I for it´s big flexibility in the smallest size and the list gets bigger and bigger
Of course part of the whole story is where and how this little wonder can be set up / installed, adapted, integrated with out loosing the valued portability.
So I am am following with great interest because no matter what of the shelf solutions there are it will involved some DIY creativity to be really effective.
Here is a general lesson on soundproofing from a Pro with little details that I believe are worth attention.
So for example at aprox minute 8:24 he starts with the front doors.
Observing I realize he is actually using 3 levels with attention to vibration.

Applying this principal for kind of an enclosure that would mean not only applying sound shielding to the box but also direct to the mostly plastic surface areas of the gen enclosure...
of course without obstructing airflow for cooling and service ports.

Further more it is also my understanding that certain attachment points could be prone to enhance noise levels

Tags
honda