Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 08:12   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Honda EU 2000 Carb Main Nozzle

All,

Any hints on how to get the main nozzle out of the Honda 2000 carburetor?

Mine seems to be stuck.

- z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:40   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Honda EU 2000 Carb Main Nozzle

If you can't get it out soak in alcohol and poke the jet with monofilament line (wire might damage the orifice). AS far as getting it out if I remember right it just unscrews
Old 29-12-2016, 09:16   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

There are 2 jets stacked on top of one another up the stem. You unscrew the fist one, but USE the right sized screw driver. After unscrewing the first one, you can usually shake the second one out. If not, you can blow compressed air up a hole on the choke side of the carb and it will blow it out far enough to grab with a small needle noses pliers.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 09:34   #4

If the main jet is clogged chances are good that the main nozzle is also gunky and it all needs cleaning.

Modern carburetors pretty much all have brass jets and plugs in aluminum bodies. They don’t corrode in place so much as they simply become quite stubborn to break loose over time. Throw your carpenter screwdivers back in the tool box for all they will ever do on a carb is make trouble. Much like in gunsmithing, the only proper screwdriver that will give you the sufficient torque and not damage the jet is a hollow ground screwdriver blade that has a perfect fit into the jet with no slop and totally fills the slot with just enough side clearance you don't damage the threads. They won’t cam out and ruin the part you are trying to get loose. Put the carb in a vise and push down hard on the screwdriver while turning.

I have used hand impact tools on stubborn parts (albeit very carefully) but if you have a good fit in the slot you can put a lot of torque on the part by hand and not damage anything.

Don't put rounded over parts back in! The next time it may be impossible to get it out and then you have to drill and extract, a time consuming process.

You can grind your own individual blades from existing screwdrivers but you can also buy quality hollow ground blades that fit in a hex handle. Find the ones you need to service the carb and the next time it will come apart without damaging the delicate brass components.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 12:26   #5

My earlier post did not address your original question, and I apologize. Got distracted by the other posters.

The nozzle just sits in the carb body and is held in place by the main jet. If it won't tap out I would get the rest of the body all stripped down and let it set in carb cleaner over night.

if it still won't come out you may be able to run a small easy-out into the bottom of the nozzle and pull it out. Be advised that this can be fatal to the part and you may need a new one when done.

One way or the other I would say it has to come out to get everything clean and back to proper working order. Chance that it just won't come out but it's all clean and the passages are open is slim to none.

Good luck
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 22:00   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm able to get the main jet unscrewed no problem. I would have expected the main nozzle to just fall out but it didn't. I do not have access to compressed air so I tried using "canned air" and I guess it isn't strong enough.

I'll try soaking the carb overnight as was suggested.

In the meantime, I put the carb back in the Honda after cleaning what I could and its working OK.

Have you guys ever noticed if the voltage your honda puts out is a little high? I noted today that the volt meter on our panel was reading 130 volts. I'm going to test it tomorrow with my calibrated meter to see if maybe the panel meter is incorrect.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 03:04   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I'm able to get the main jet unscrewed no problem. I would have expected the main nozzle to just fall out but it didn't. I do not have access to compressed air so I tried using "canned air" and I guess it isn't strong enough.

In the meantime, I put the carb back in the Honda after cleaning what I could and its working OK.

Have you guys ever noticed if the voltage your honda puts out is a little high? I noted today that the volt meter on our panel was reading 130 volts. I'm going to test it tomorrow with my calibrated meter to see if maybe the panel meter is incorrect.
Mine puts out 122V.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 11:21   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

Check it under load. Not a lot.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 13:51   #9

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I found that 80# test monofilament was the perfect size ream for the main jet (the part which screws in), and the cause of some difficulty due to some piece of debris which had lodged there.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda