Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 23:20   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Fusing Solar?

I am currently putting a couple of 10W solar cells onto Boracay to trickle charge the batteries and I know I need fuses/circuit breakers. I just don't know how big, what type and where they go.

Solar Cell 1 is to charge the start battery. This battery also runs the electric automatic bilge pump.

Solar cell 2 is to charge the house batteries (currently 2 x 220 amp. hour 6V Trojans, but may expand up to 10 x 220 amp. hour 6V Trojans). Long term I'm planning to add a few large panels up to a maximum of (say) 300W. This circuit will probably run the fridge/freezer (Danfos 35? with 6" of foam) and may also have to accept power from a wind generator.

I'm also curious about the diodes. I got two from the chandler, seem to work fine, just wonder about voltage drop (0.2V currently) and whether the battery voltage can "back flow" at all. (I put them in backwards and found voltage differences of 4V and 6V when connected across the 10W solar cell)
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:03   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Chris, I think you will find all panels come with diodes installed in the cute lil black box.
Jaycar sell car fuse things that clip in loine. Miine cost about $5 I think.

Mniie are now up and working! Yippee!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
El Cheapo...

My panels were cheap and small. I looked, no diodes.

For the start battery I think I can get away with an inline 5 or 10 amp fuse close to the battery, but I suspect I'll need something more serious near the house batteries.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:36   #4

A 10 Watt panel is going to make little impression on keeping 220 amp-hour batteries charged. And if there are no diodes, you'll lose more overnight than you gain during the day.

Simple in-line fuses should do, but fit diodes too. For a 10 Watt panel a 1 amp fuse would be enough. Current = Watts divided by volts, ie 10/12= 0.833 amps.

5 amp fuses will be plenty.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote