Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 21:29   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Mismatched Battery Question

I've got a question on mismatched battery types. I think I'm okay here, but being a mechanical type, I'd like a second opinion on things electrical. First, some background. I've got a catamaran with two batteries in each hull. On each side there is one battery marked "Engine/Starting" and one marked "House". The house batteries are controlled by a standard "1-2-Both" switch near my breaker panel and hooked up to a battery charger as well as the alternators. The engine/starting batteries appear to just be connected to the alternators, not the charger. On both sides, the negative terminals of the house and engine batteries are connected, but the positives are not. The batteries are all wet cells, but there is a mix of Group 31 and Group 27 batteries. On the Port side, the Engine battery is a Group 31 Deep Cycle/Starting model, and the house battery is a Group 27 Deep Cycle. On the Starboard side I've got two Group 31's. The house battery is a Deep Cycle, and the Engine battery is a Deep Cycle/Starting mix. All 4 batteries appear to be from different manufacturers and vintages. When we bought the boat 2 yrs ago the surveyor recommended replacing them all, but they have been fine up till now. Finally though, the Port Engine/Starting battery has completely given up the ghost. I would like to replace all of them now, but am thinking I should go with dedicated Starting type batteries for the Engine/Start units and dedicated Deep Cycles for the House batteries. My question is, is there any harm in using Group 27 Starting batteries for the Engine/Start units and Group 31 Deep Cycles for the House batteries? Each battery appears to go through its own isolator, so I don't think there would be an issue, but wanted to check with you all. Sorry for the long winded post.

Chris
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 21:48   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
No you will be fine

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:28   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Thanks!

That's good news. Thanks for the reply!
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery