Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2021, 08:28   #1

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Equalizing batteries at home

I have a couple lead-acid batteries that are probably at the point of no return, but I’d like to try to equalize them at home so I can monitor them. Typical automotive chargers don’t have an equalize circuit, and removing the charging system from the boat is a massive pain, besides leaving the boat batts un-tended. Any suggestions?
Old 16-08-2021, 09:28   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Equalizing batteries at home

Some marine chargers come with 110AC plugs. This is one example https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...963&id=6784624
If your batteries are at the end of their usefulness it may just be better to replace them and not spend the money on a charger.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 10:50   #3

All you need is four to eight hours to equalize. Can't you do that on the boat? Any excuse to go boating.... Or do it while you're fixing something. Don't have anything to fix? I don't believe it. But, if so, clean something. Don't have anything to clean? I call BS!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 11:51   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Equalization is a very precise charging process that needs the appropriate charger. Without the ability to control the voltage and amperage you will not be able to equalize, at home or on the boat.

I like the Xantrex inverter/charger combination and have used them for 20+ years.

( https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3967413 )
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 19:09   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Years ago, from the recommendation of Ample Power, I bought an unregulated automotive charger to equalize my flooded batteries.

Did the job, but now I can't remember the protocol.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 09:08   #6
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
I have a couple lead-acid batteries that are probably at the point of no return, but I’d like to try to equalize them at home so I can monitor them. Typical automotive chargers don’t have an equalize circuit, and removing the charging system from the boat is a massive pain, besides leaving the boat batts un-tended. Any suggestions?
I'm piggy-backing on your question as I have never equalized before.

My wife bought a used electric golf cart with six Trojan 150s to drive around the community with the grandkids and the 36V charger came with it. If maximizing the life of these batteries is cost effective to the golf course why doesn't this charger have the capacity to equalize them or is the process done one battery at a time which means another piece of equipment? When I mentioned it to the Manager she didn't know anything about the equalizing process.

Thanks.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 09:22   #7

Boat: Currently boatless

Questions such as these are a a good reason for building a good relationship with your local battery supplier. I've found mine (Total Battery) a fount of useful free information -- which of course ultimately leads to repeat business for them.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 09:51   #8

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

If you aren't / can't do it on board then I'd strongly recommend that you take them to your nearest dedicated battery store and have them equalized there. Usual charges is about $10 / battery. I they're at EOL then they usually won't charge for the equalize if you buy replacements thru them. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:12   #9

Boat: Beneteau 343

How often do people equalize their batts? I am 6+ years on my current house bank of 4 6 volt golf cart batts and I have never equalized them. I keep them well watered and they are serving me well (in conjunction with a 220w solar). But I wonder if I have I missed an important activity by not equalizing.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:30   #10

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

You could buy an inexpensive DC power supply https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Digi...a-841479175648

Set the voltage at the manufacturer of your battery's equalization spec and check the battery's voltage with a good VOM and you're good to go. A DC power supply is a good thing to have.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We do a lot of this; we use a Mastech DC supply that can sod 20a and 50v. We can dial in exactly the needed current and monitor it with a bench meter. Be sure to properly charge the batteries first and do one battery at a time till electrolyte SG is the same in each cell...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries