Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 16:07   #31

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Engine Driven Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Might consider using an automotive Aircon system where the engine will spin the a/c compressor if that is the goal.
Because the generator can also be used to power other things like the Admiral's ice maker.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 16:19   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I think I would just buy some additional batteries and add a battery bank.

You can still charge it when running. And then you have it available later.

My gut feel says that would be more efficient and convenient.

My gut says that battery bank would look like one on a submarine. Effectively, the equilivant of 200 amps. That kind of constant load on a DC Alternator would wear it pretty quickly. Not to mention the cycles on the batteries. The AC alternator is more capable of constant high loads I am being told. This is why gensets, even the inverter gensets use AC Generators. Inverter gensets like the Honda EU line put out 110, convert it to 12, then invert it back to 110.
Old 21-01-2015, 16:58   #33

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Again, it's already been done.

MEPS // Products
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 17:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Again, it's already been done.

MEPS // Products

The only price I can find on MEPS equilivant was someone selling one they claim to have paid $4000 for on a truckers forum. I don't think it should cost that much, especially when you can buy a complete Honda EU3000i for a couple grand. I emailed the company a few days ago and have not heard back yet.
Old 21-01-2015, 18:08   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

There a lot of variables shared here. Thank you all for sharing.

I have owned my Cal Cruising 46 since 1982, still have her and love her.
First, she is a sail boat with an adequate sized engine, Perkins 4.236 90 HP,
3-1 reduction, so she cruises at 6.2 knots, (calm seas, clean bottom), 1,550 RPM's, 1.1 GPH. I built a mount to hold a 8KW generator, driven by twin vee belts from the front on the engine, which is aft in my boat which a 3-1 redux Vee drive, 22X 22 Luke wheel.

I built a 20GPH watermaker, 117 VAC, since we intended to cruise where drinking water can be an issue. So, whenever we did not have adequate wind to sail, we motor sailed or motored at 1550 RPM's, made RO water and went where we wanted to go. Since we have fuel capacity of 400 gallons and water capacity of 200 gallons, we were making 20 gallons of RO water each hour at a cost of 1.1GPH of diesel fuel. We "made" water until the vents overflowed, then washed the boat with RO water and made our anchorage.
We often shared our water with the pleasant Mexican villagers who insisted on sharing their langusta, (lobster).

In addition to the 8KW main engine driven generator, we have a 5KW genset
that will drive the watermaker. Often at a clean water anchorage, we would top off our fresh water tanks.

Of course this will depend on you boat, engine size, placement, etc.

PM if we can help.

Tom & Bobbie Vandiver, Cal Cruising 46, SATORI, Bayou Chico, FL
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 20:55   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

An inverter is the way to go...
When I bought this boat a generator had to run even though the mains were going. I don't think any of the engine charging alternators had worked for years. Everything was charged via the shore power charger. Also I have air shifting and throttles, but the engine air compressor couldn't keep up. So a electric air compressor ran all the time. I have gone from 12+ gallons/hr @ 10 knots to about 9 gallons with 2-671's.
After going thru the thought process of running a main generator and it's issues I bought a bigger inverter and have a high amp alternator charging the inverter bank while running. So I don't have to worry about a specific rpm on the mains. Also both mains and generators now have working separate charging systems. I put a bigger engine mount compressor on and the electric only runs if I want compressed air in port. Needless to say, both generators had glazed cylinders from light loads.
Everything goes thru the inverter (2-120v legs makes 240). When AC power from a generator or shore comes on it becomes a charger for the inverter banks.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 08:19   #37

Boat: nonsuch 30 1984

Hi to all.

I have found in my new to me boat a fable power mite not installed. It is a blue max with 4500 output and its control panel, nothing else. I wrote to fabco and they strongly suggest to buy their voltage regulator in order to run the equipment.

Before doing that, I wanted to ask to tdoster, or anyone else who had experiences with power mite, if it is a worthy investment.

I would primarily use it as an alternative to a genset and to run an air conditioner while at anchor.

Tags
engine, generator