Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 06:55   #121

Boat: 73 pearson 35
Re: Electric fence for boat

Like the thoughts of dress simple.don't be flashy.ect.
And when you are in the wrong place at the wrong time as has also ben documented.........
Cheap and easy.....Get a 10k 12v dc ignition coil and wire it up.hook the high cap wire to the stanchions and the supply to 12v.Touch lines.If you don't get knocked on your ass your life lines are grounded somewhere.Find ground and repeat till you do get knocked on your ass.cost is about $5 at the local auto wreaking yard.
Enjoy
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 17:14   #122

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Mark lmao. Good description of just how that works. Wish we could video that expedition. ;-)
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 17:38   #123

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37
Like the thoughts of dress simple.don't be flashy.ect.
And when you are in the wrong place at the wrong time as has also ben documented.........
Cheap and easy.....Get a 10k 12v dc ignition coil and wire it up.hook the high cap wire to the stanchions and the supply to 12v.Touch lines.If you don't get knocked on your ass your life lines are grounded somewhere.Find ground and repeat till you do get knocked on your ass.cost is about $5 at the local auto wreaking yard.
Enjoy
Mark
Presumably this will work for the seagulls too .

All condensers the same ?

Thanks for the suggestion - simple is good.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 02:43   #124
Armchair Bucketeer

Of course OP can fit an electric fence. But the why does escape me .

IME something like that will only deter someone for whom shouting at would do the same. Anyone else is just going to laugh or get pissed off. It's simply an expensive comfort blanket - probably better off with the real thing, as could also use it to hide under .

What I really stuggle to understand is why someone who is concerned about being raped and murdered (or vice verce? ) expects a solution that involves them going to sleep in an area they have already identified as being a high risk (and for some reason have still visited ).........whilst they and their worldly goods / family are left open to all comers..........and in a situation which screams rich tourist and easy pickings (in some parts of the world simply colour of skin / manner of dressing does that, let alone also turning up with wealth on display akin to the lifetime GDP of an entire family. or village ).

Imagine if a Tourist in your home town / city asked you which was the best place to sleep in their hire car at night, with the doors unlocked and windows open with all their worldly possessions on display and with a large dayglo sign on the car roof saying "Tourist".....your response would probably not involve setting up a cattle fence perimiter . and would likely involve laughter .

I appreciate that I'm wasting my breath with the above - but I am waiting for paint to dry. It was a choice between watching that happen or writing the above. With hindsight I made the wrong choice .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 08:11   #125
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
IME something like that will only deter someone for whom shouting at would do the same. Anyone else is just going to laugh or get pissed off. It's simply an expensive comfort blanket - probably better off with the real thing, as could also use it to hide under .

Nail on the head! GREAT way to really piss off your assailant, while providing no real protection whatsoever. Would you rely on a two-strand agricultural style electric fence to provide security against humans at home? You'd be foolish if you did. Either you provide signage to make it safe and give up the whole point, allowing them to just climb over or around the wires forewarned, or you try to make the secret zapper no one can see in the hopes they fall in when trying to board, and get sued or worse by the relatives of some poor person who falls in while trying to board. There's a reason electric fences are only used to stop COWS, not humans. Because any idiot can figure out how to get around one once he knows it's there. Unless you're going to do six strands of electric fence six feet high around your boat. It's a silly idea.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:41   #126

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
There's a reason electric fences are only used to stop COWS, not humans. Because any idiot can figure out how to get around one once he knows it's there. .
There are several businesses in my area that are protected by an electric fence as an alternative to razor wire.

It apparently works for them. The electric fence is protected by a second smaller fence to prevent contact by little curious fingers, and is well labeled by warning signs for legality.

To my knowledge neither business, (one repair shop, one new car lot), has been robbed since the fence went up. You would think anyone with a roll of aluminum foil, and a pair of jumper cables could "fix" it, but apparently the thief's didn't attend electrical training school.

Bottom line the animals that are most likely to climb a fence to steal something have little more electrical knowledge than a "COW", since the fence has been there for over a year that I know of, they are not your average "idiot" either.

As I mentioned above, any non lethal deterrant will only work one time.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:06   #127
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

bill-
"To my knowledge neither business,...has been robbed since the fence went up."
Yeah, well, burglars aren't cut-throats. Even the ones with cow brains probably suspect that if you zap the fence--the alarm goes off. Silent alarm goes off. Electric fence indicates that someone is paying attention to security, and there are easier targets to burgle.
OTOH, a cut-throat looking to pillage your boat while you are on it is a whole other class of criminal, and they're probably certain that you are alone, isolated, and not calling into a central alarm station.

Work the logic any way you please, electrifying a boat will be problematic for anyone not named Nemo.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 13:49   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Why do electric fences shock you if you have shoes on....?
electric fence is a great idea for providing security for your boat, i would even display big signs warning everybody.
if i was a pirate i would think twice about touching a live boat.
believe me, getting zapped with electric fence really hurts.
technically you could electrify your guard rails if they are electrically isolated from the boat. fibreglass is a good insulator.
incorporate a switch( manual or remote ) so you can switch it on or off when you wish.
scots alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 17:37   #129

Boat: Schucker 436

I knew someone that went to jail for a year (only weekends) over this electric fence idea because it caused some pelicans to do some strange things after landing on the wires. Give up this idea, there is a precedent for this trick that seemed like a good idea to solve a pelican problem during El Nino,,,, but it wasn't...
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 03:24   #130

Boat: sloop 8.68m

@ rusytnail, i feel sorry for your friend to be sent to jail over a pelican.
Hard to have pride in your country, if it places pelicans first and it's citizens second, i would find a new country to live in and never look back.
My zapper will be up come summer with no fear of stupidity.
insalt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 04:55   #131
Armchair Bucketeer

I think the future is having own drone .

Apparently dropping stuff on people in foreign countries that kills 'em is also legal .
Old 24-09-2012, 04:59   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think the future is having own drone .

Apparently dropping stuff on people in foreign countries that kills 'em is also legal .
Legal if you have a bigger army than the countries you drop stuff on.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 05:14   #133
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Legal if you have a bigger army than the countries you drop stuff on.
Minor detail . Besides, am not intending to paint DOJ on the side of mine.

My legal basis is the 3 magic words: "Yes we can!".
Old 25-09-2012, 10:04   #134

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYNAIL View Post
I knew someone that went to jail for a year (only weekends) over this electric fence idea because it caused some pelicans to do some strange things after landing on the wires. Give up this idea, there is a precedent for this trick that seemed like a good idea to solve a pelican problem during El Nino,,,, but it wasn't...

Electricute a person = no problem.
Disturb a bird = your going down.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 18:44   #135

Boat: Spray 13.5m (ARNAK) New Zealand
Thumbs up Re: Electric fence for boat

I have used an electric fence energiser on my NZ yacht for many years now and it works perfectly. It is a 10,000v 1.3 joule unit with a 12v input power supply. I put the earth wire with a small copper piece soldered on down the cockpit drain into the water, but still inside the drain and the positive/active lead clips onto a staunchion which is connected to the other staunchions, pullpit, pushpit and davits by the stainless lifeline wire. I also fitted a flashing red LED to indicate the unit is active.
It is very important to make sure that the active areas are completely isolated from rigging, nav lights and anchoring gear etc. Anywhere the pulsing 10,000v could feed back into your electrical system.
I have no electrolysis problem or radio interference issues. the vessel is a timber epoxy composite construction.
I have tested this unit standing on a dry timber dock with rubber shoes on and been zapped big time. Also coming from a dinghy onboard while reaching over to unclip the connection from the staunchion I have been zapped.
The system works extremely well. I have been cruising in South East Asia for the last 13 years with never a boarding and sleep well at night.
Cost was only Aud $140 delivered to Malaysia. Purchased on Ebay from Australia. I also bought a 10,000v tester on Ebay for about $12.
It works:
GeoffGentil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric