Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2021, 17:00   #16

Re: Does Victron make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Because Victron doesn't sell voltmeters. They really only sell battery monitors and their shunts are used to provide both current and voltage to the monitor. So, if you want to use Victron gear you install their shunts to feed into your monitoring system. If all you want is voltage then clearly a shunt isn't needed, but you have to move outside the OP's desire for Victron.

Thx for the details in answer to my question. Makes sense, seems a long way around but you're right he did ask for a V product.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 17:21   #17

While not exactly what the OP wants, a pretty good compromise would be to install a Victron 702 or 712 and connect the shunt to the house bank (which you presumably care about for both voltage and amps to monitor charging). For voltage for the other two banks install a simple spdt switch at the helm connected to the “auxiliary battery” wire from the Victron and connect a positive wire from the 2nd and 3rd banks. Switching that switch would alternate voltage between the 2nd and 3rd banks in the auxiliary display.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 17:27   #18

Boat: Outremer 50S

I like that idea, and it is really quite elegant, but unfortunately the 702/712 list themselves as "IP55 (not intended for outdoor use)". In the end I think a way to get each voltage into NMEA 2000 (there are a number of PGNs that support this) and then display them on a chartplotter page is the best answer for this scenario, but I'm not exactly sure how to get there. It would actually be trivial in OpenCPN from a getting the data in and displaying it perspective, but the outdoor solutions are a bit a of a cobble.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 18:58   #19

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

I think the Touch 50 display is waterproof. Connect that to a GX and you should be good to go. Bit of overkill for just monitoring voltage.

I have 5 Victron bluetooth devices and monitor them all through my phone. But I think the OP could build a fixed display system using entirely Victron components if that's the desire.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote