Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 13:14   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
DC Power issues

Noticing the past couple of days my cabin lights have begun to flicker whenever the freshwater pump kicks on. This morning the fridge had appeared to have died. Upon further examination, I can hear the fridge kick on for a second and then shut off, over and over again. I'm assuming this is all related to a central issue.

Trying to troubleshoot, but electrical is not my strong suit. I am on shore power and have a Xantrex truecharge2 20a for my AGMs, which are less than two years old. The charging status shows batteries are charging and ready, but charging output shows less than 5%. I can fully disconnect from shore and still turn over the engine without issue.

Any idea what I should be looking at to keep my beer cold?
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 13:20   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: DC Power issues

Check panel and ground connects as it sounds like a voltage drop issue and if your batteries are good the connections may be corroded
Old 27-08-2017, 13:38   #3

Boat: center console

+1 What He Said!
#1 Cause of electrical issues is loose/corroded connections. Start at the battery, clean the posts and terminals, look for and replace non-tinned wire, corroded & spliced wires, wire nuts & tape, etc. Do this for both house and engine start batteries. Clean the interconnect wires terminals & lugs installed between battery banks.
Buy Nigel Calder's book for education.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 14:07   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Noticing the past couple of days my cabin lights have begun to flicker whenever the freshwater pump kicks on. This morning the fridge had appeared to have died. Upon further examination, I can hear the fridge kick on for a second and then shut off, over and over again. I'm assuming this is all related to a central issue.

Trying to troubleshoot, but electrical is not my strong suit. I am on shore power and have a Xantrex truecharge2 20a for my AGMs, which are less than two years old. The charging status shows batteries are charging and ready, but charging output shows less than 5%. I can fully disconnect from shore and still turn over the engine without issue.

Any idea what I should be looking at to keep my beer cold?
I don't know about your boat, but many boats use one battery for starting the engine and a separate battery or batteries for everything else. What that means is, being able to start your engine doesn't automatically mean your batteries are good.

You need to figure out how your system is wired and then check the battery voltages under load. That means with the refrigerator, lights, water pump, etc. running. If one or more batteries haven't failed, you have a high resistance in the wiring somewhere and will have to find and repair it.
Old 27-08-2017, 14:17   #5

Thanks, guys. I'll check the terminals, make sure there isn't any corrosion, and make sure the connections are set properly.

@rwidman, My battery bank is set parallel. I don't have a stand alone starting battery.
Old 20-09-2017, 20:52   #6

Boat: Hunter 37c

Maybe you need to check your tea supply!
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 20:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Guessing low voltage (if the fridge has a Danfoss compressor/condenser it would have an auto low voltage shutdown... above suggestions but measure the voltage at the battery terminals for starters (with a good VOM).
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 20:57   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes likely connection issue, but it's very easy for a non-electric-savvy owner to murder an AGM bank in two years.

How large a bank, what make/model batts, how often/long you go away from shore, how do you charge then?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 21:00   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And keep charged a portable jump-start powerpak capable of starting your engine for just in case.

The little ones fit in your pocket are great for many uses, just keep ot charged when at sea.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:37   #10

Meant to update before. Simple matter of a loose wire in the control panel. 30 second fix, my favorite kind