Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 11:54   #1

charger with 3 sources and 3 batteries?

Hello

If I will add wind and solar power sources, I probably will need to change my old charger, so would like ask an advice what to choose. Is there any magic ONE device which will control / charge my 3 batteries individually or two batteries can be paralleled and charge it from a 3 different sources: solar panel, wind generator and 230 volt AC. Wind and sun probably could work same time.
georgy.goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:54   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Dont know of anyone who makes a controller that does it all, but would convenient...if it did them all well of course. I expect someone does.

Most boats end up w multiple controllers. The upside to this is redundancy...if one controller fails you can still charge from other sources. If I were to install one controller that did it all...I would keep a spare aboard.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 07:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: charger with 3 sources and 3 batteries?

Agreed, multiple chargers. I have two alternators and two battery chargers that are backups for each other.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 07:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: charger with 3 sources and 3 batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Agreed, multiple chargers. I have two alternators and two battery chargers that are backups for each other.
Indeed! You do not want them combined in one device! If it goes down, then you're stuffed!

Redundancy is the name of the game where charging is concerned.

My year-old Victron Multiplus charger/inverter dead failed last fall -- something which takes an entire weekend just to remove from my engine compartment, so down for weeks.

Thank God I had entirely separate alternator charging. Besides that, I actually went out and bought a spare 24v mains charger.

You will certainly not want your wind or solar going down if some other charging system goes down.

These devices can and do fail!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 08:37   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re "...working at the same time." Yes they all can...a good controller should be smart enough to back off on charge output when batt voltages rise due to other charge sources.

For example, I was investigating an issue w my alternator regulator just yesterday and forgot to turn off my shore power charger...no problem...shore powered regulator just backed off on output...and then went to zero output and lit its "fault" light when voltages continued to rise...sort of like saying "WTF?", but no harm done. At less dramatic charge source output (my alternators were really pumping) the regulators for other charge sources should just compensate. Example, solar and alternator/gen can, and typically do, charge at the same time. No need to shut down one source to use another.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger