Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 10:11   #1

Boat: Moody 42
Charger wiring question.

I have two battery banks consisting of two 12V batteries each (Wired for 24V as my system is 24V). I have one dead battery and the other three check out with a meter. I think the 24V charger is wired only to the starting bank. It is not wired to the 1,2, both, off battery selector switch. If the charger is wired directly to one bank and the battery switch is set to both, will both batteries receive a charge? Engine won't start with battery switch set to 1, 2 or both even though one bank seems to be OK. Any advice would be helpful as I'm electrically challenged.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21   #2

Boat: Stevens Custom 50
Re: Charger wiring question.

As with many questions, the answer is "That depends." Many boats (ours, for example) have a diode between the starting bank and the house bank, so that if the house batteries are run down the starting bank won't supply energy to the house bank and, as a result, run down, too. If the two banks were always dedicated to starting and house, it's likely there's a diode between them. But if that's the case, it's strange that the charger is rigged to the start bank, not the house bank -- effectively preventing the house bank from getting charged.

A diode is a device that only allows current to flow one way (well, except possible a tiny trickle the other way). It's usually a box fastened to a bulkhead and has cooling fins on it.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04   #3
Eternal Member

Need to know considerably more about exactly how your boat is wired before we can really help you.

In general, it's a good idea to wire all charging sources (shore charger, alternator, onboard generator, solar panels, wind generator, etc.) directly to the house bank, with appropriate fusing.

It's also a good idea to run a single large house bank rather than two or more smaller banks.

Charging the start battery can be easily done -- automatically -- by fitting a battery combiner or a voltage-follower device (my preference).

You need to trace out all the wires in the charging circuit, and draw a diagram or at least be able to explain your setup in detail.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 18:14   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
I have two battery banks consisting of two 12V batteries each (Wired for 24V as my system is 24V). I have one dead battery and the other three check out with a meter. I think the 24V charger is wired only to the starting bank. It is not wired to the 1,2, both, off battery selector switch. If the charger is wired directly to one bank and the battery switch is set to both, will both batteries receive a charge? Engine won't start with battery switch set to 1, 2 or both even though one bank seems to be OK. Any advice would be helpful as I'm electrically challenged.
Ok based on similar typical systems you have ( a) one bank , likely the dead one is directly connected to the starter independant of the 1,2, both switch (b) I suspect the charger may be wired to the switch or, possibly it's a dual output. And ( c) the 1,2,both is supplying domestic only.

Replace the dead battery !

Dave
Old 03-02-2014, 21:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
As with many questions, the answer is "That depends." Many boats (ours, for example) have a diode between the starting bank and the house bank, so that if the house batteries are run down the starting bank won't supply energy to the house bank and, as a result, run down, too. If the two banks were always dedicated to starting and house, it's likely there's a diode between them. But if that's the case, it's strange that the charger is rigged to the start bank, not the house bank -- effectively preventing the house bank from getting charged.

A diode is a device that only allows current to flow one way (well, except possible a tiny trickle the other way). It's usually a box fastened to a bulkhead and has cooling fins on it.
I have never seen this on any boat and I doubt you have one either... they wouldn't make them big enough to pass current for parellel starting. you probably have one on your alternator line. much different.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, wiring