Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37   #16

The gel switch is the single switch that you slide back and forth for the type of battery you have. There are indicator lights to show which setting it is on, you can see these lights through the cover over the switches. There is also a bank of DIP switches that you to set the length of time for the 2nd stage charging. This varies from 1 to 4 hours IIRC and it depends on the size of your bank. This information is in the manual for the charger, if you don't have one you can download it from Promariner's website.

What camaraderie said is correct. This charger can only be set for gel OR AGM/flooded, not both at the same time, so you need to standardize on one type of battery or split your charging system to handle the gel battery.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 22:51   #17

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
The gel switch is the single switch that you slide back and forth for the type of battery you have. There are indicator lights to show which setting it is on, you can see these lights through the cover over the switches. There is also a bank of DIP switches that you to set the length of time for the 2nd stage charging. This varies from 1 to 4 hours IIRC and it depends on the size of your bank. This information is in the manual for the charger, if you don't have one you can download it from Promariner's website.

What camaraderie said is correct. This charger can only be set for gel OR AGM/flooded, not both at the same time, so you need to standardize on one type of battery or split your charging system to handle the gel battery.
thanks for the info Jdoe71 and Camaraderie unfortunately no manual came with the boat I'll try to search and download it from promariner site ( if I find it)
yes I will change the engine batterie so that both of them are the leadcalcium sealed type by the way what is AGM ??
but when I removed the cover on the right side I founf 3 tiny switches beside the 3 leds one was on the ON and the 2 others on the OFF ?? what should I do ? which configuration to adopt ??
thanhs for your feedback
Old 05-04-2009, 23:33   #18

Oh Gawd...just checked and you bought the wrong damn battery type for deep cycle marine use in a sailboat. You have a SEALED WET CELL for your house bank. It is not only incompatiable with the Gel like I said before...it is also a very poor choice. Can you still take it back and get either an AGM (absorbed glass mat) or another Gel? Otherwise...don't expect too much as these batteries are primarily designed for use in small power boats for both starting and house needs in one battery.
Can't comment on the charger settings as I am unfamiliar with it but Sterling has manuals on line at their website. Sterling Power Products: Battery Chargers

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 23:51   #19

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA
hi cam

thanks for your promt feedback
I have already downloaded the manual fron ProMariner as suggested by Jdoe
unfortunately I cannot exchange the AC Delco battery I will have to buy another one of the same type to homogenize the bank as advised earlier, we do not have gel or AGM batteries here so this one will have to go in my jeep.
by the way I have already installed a controller for the solar panel and it working just fine, shall I have it connected to the batteries directly or it is better to pass by the isolator ??

have a nice day
Old 06-04-2009, 08:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbendaly View Post
thanks for the info Jdoe71 and Camaraderie unfortunately no manual came with the boat I'll try to search and download it from promariner site ( if I find it)
yes I will change the engine batterie so that both of them are the leadcalcium sealed type by the way what is AGM ??
but when I removed the cover on the right side I founf 3 tiny switches beside the 3 leds one was on the ON and the 2 others on the OFF ?? what should I do ? which configuration to adopt ??
thanhs for your feedback
Look at the front of the cover plate that you had to take off to see the switches. It has a decal on it and that decal shows the various configurations of the DIP switches (the 3 tiny ones in a unit). Compare what the settings are to what's shown on that cover and it will tell you how long the setting is for the 2nd charging stage.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery