Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 09:16   #151

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Battery lifetime/cost vs. state of charge

From the graph on post #13 we see that the total lifetime amp hours available are close to equal. Only about 6% difference between 50 and 80% DOD. Not enough difference to justify a larger bank and the associated weight penalty IMO. It should be noted that different batteries will have slightly different graphs.
If you want to take your argument a little further maybe you need 8 - 6V golf cart batteries to gain a larger 13% total energy difference between 20 and 50% DOD. It certainly wouldn't be worth it to me but it fits your argument.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:22   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

If you get to the point where you can't fit in the battery bank at 50% DOD, you probably need to either reduce consumption or switch to a generator as you probably don't have room for the solar array needed to support it.
I think the logical choice would be to go to a 80% DOD use before considering a generator. YMMV
Old 23-11-2016, 09:33   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do you draw the line on battery bank size?
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
As far as your curiosity, I size the battery bank based on needs. Haven't had to mess with it on the new boat but the last boat, I swapped out 4 - 6v golf cart batteries for a single 12v. Of course, the fridge ran on propane when away from the dock, so 12v use was negligible for lights, water pump and occasionally some fans.. Never dropped below 75% with just the solar panels and you could pull start the motor easily, so no worries about having significant battery reserves.
Propane when sailing?
I think he meant Capacity for bank size?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:42   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Propane when sailing?
Thanks for your technical editing, this thread could use more of it. To be clearer, I meant physical size, capacity, and weight.
Old 23-11-2016, 17:35   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

One thing we are missing is that it's virtually impossible to recharge to 100% with Solar if you discharge to 50%.
If you discharge to 20% it will be impossible and each charge cycle will walk down to lower PSOC cycle.
Only way I can see the deep discharge work is if you had a generator and used it pretty much daily or of course shore power.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 20:24   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
One thing we are missing is that it's virtually impossible to recharge to 100% with Solar if you discharge to 50%.
If you discharge to 20% it will be impossible and each charge cycle will walk down to lower PSOC cycle.
Why that?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 21:48   #157
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Only way I can see the deep discharge work is if you had a generator and used it pretty much daily or of course shore power.
That depends on bank size and size of solar array.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 07:06   #158

Hi, I very much appreciated the tutorial in this thread about SOC and learned a great deal. I laughed at myself that I was willing/interested enough to actually sit for hours reading these threads! I currently have 3 different charging sources (1 -charger/inverter, 2 - Solar, 3-Alternater with 3 stage controller). The battery monitor is an old Link 2000.

I have several questions... In several threads I have read the idea that a temperature sensor is a good idea on the inverter/charger and also on the panels to make sure that you don't over charge based on battery temperature. I am now of the opinion that this is not in fact what these remote temperature sensors are for. My understanding is that in fact the purpose of a temperature sensor is to help the charger understand the environment the batteries are in to determine optimal voltage while charging. Am I correct? if this is true there really is no value in a remote sensor as long as your batteries are not in an environment that is substantially different than where the inverter/charger is located.

The reason I am asking is that my Heart 25 inverter/charger did not come with a remote temperature sensor and I was wondering whether I should swap it out but I am now of the opinion that I am fine. Similarity some solar controllers also have remote temperature sensing but most don't. The ones I have actually have the temp sensor built onto the controller motherboard. So, again as long as the batteries and the controller are environmentally in similar locations all is fine (the factory rep seemed to dissuade me from the idea that the temperature sensor also had any role in backing off if the batteries got too hot.

So.... thoughts? Thanks!
Lamb Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:34   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
That depends on bank size and size of solar array.

No it doesn't. It a how long does it take to charge a bank as opposed to how many Solar hours there are in an average day.
Best way to overcome this is to start a generator early in the morning when the bank can accept lots of amps and shut it down when the panels can take over
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:25   #160

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Propane when sailing?
I think his reef is an absorption unit. If done right the propane is no problem and highly efficient
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 18:27   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I think his reef is an absorption unit. If done right the propane is no problem and highly efficient
Exactly but apparently, they didn't bother to read the full post which clearly indicated it ran on propane. Since the fridge is the main draw for most boats, using a propane fridge really cuts down on the battery bank needed.

Of course, it's interesting how a certain poster was adamant that there was no difference in lift time amp-hrs but suddenly when the numbers are provided that clearly debunk that, the story changes to it's not enough difference...all while ignoring the fact the graphs provided by the manufacturers are for full charges between cycles ignoring the impacts of leaving the bank at a low state of charge.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 19:30   #162

If the battery bank is not fully charged after use it makes even more sense to discharge to 80 percent DOD and size the bank accordingly.
Old 24-11-2016, 19:48   #163
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No it doesn't. It a how long does it take to charge a bank as opposed to how many Solar hours there are in an average day.
Best way to overcome this is to start a generator early in the morning when the bank can accept lots of amps and shut it down when the panels can take over
True, but it also depends on solar array size, bank size, and how much it is down. With too little solar you may not get out of bulk, although the absorption point will likely occur at a higher percentage of charge.
Old 24-11-2016, 20:20   #164

I recently reviewed some articles on marine batteries and charging systems by one of the best authorities on the subject. One thing that stood out in the articles was the lack of knowledge and understanding some of his clients had. This thread has confirmed his observations and then some.
Old 24-11-2016, 21:06   #165
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I recently reviewed some articles on marine batteries and charging systems by one of the best authorities on the subject. One thing that stood out in the articles was the lack of knowledge and understanding some of his clients had. This thread has confirmed his observations and then some.
What article, what author?

Tags
battery