Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 04:36   #1

Battery Charging Issues

I have been having problems with my start battery since last fall. My house bank is charging as expected, but my start battery is not.

At first the problem was intermittent, but now the problem is consistent. I tried replacing the start battery, which is now toast from being run down and not recharged. The battery doesn't seem to be charging when on alternator or shore power.

So far, the issue hasn't caused me any major headaches because I've always been able to start off my house bank, but the whole situation makes me uneasy, if my bilge pump or autopilot run down my house bank while sailing, or my lighting runs it down at anchor, I' won't be able to get the boat started and I'm not in an area conducive to sailing home.

Can anyone offer any trouble shooting tips?
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Battery Charging Issues

Umm how is your system wired....? We simply need more information to begin to help you with your issue...
Old 10-07-2015, 04:59   #3

Unfortunately I'm not very good at electrical, which is no doubt why I'm in this predicament. Attached is how things look in the battery box. The upper being my start battery.

The second photo shows house batteries only. My battery selector switch is and always has been kind of goofy too, I can start the boat in 1, 2 or both, which I know isn't right.

My problem with providing more information, is I'm not even sure what information might be needed.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1436529231582.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	105067   Click image for larger version

Name:	1436529295746.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	105068  

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Unfortunately I'm not very good at electrical, which is no doubt why I'm in this predicament. Attached is how things look in the battery box. The upper being my start battery.

The second photo shows house batteries only. My battery selector switch is and always has been kind of goofy too, I can start the boat in 1, 2 or both, which I know isn't right.

My problem with providing more information, is I'm not even sure what information might be needed.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Set your switch to BOTH when charging and then check the voltage of each battery. If the voltages are virtually the same your system is set up so that the 1/2/BOTH switch assigns both USE and CHARGING.

Select bank #1 and you USE and CHARGE Bank #1
Select Bank #2 and you USE and CHARGE Bank #2
Select BOTH and you USE and CHARGE BOTH Banks

A 1/2/BOTH should and will start your motor on any of those three positions.

Tags
battery, charging