Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 07:51   #31

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Battery charger versus inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Google Xantrex inverter problems .... 200,000 hits

My stove is propane, I never have to run the generator for coffee in the morning.

Yes, they are expensive, they provide no technical info for repairing failed units. I will not purchase another Xantrex product but bang for buck, I will consider the much less expensive off shore products.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 09:03   #32

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I don't think skin effect comes into play here with Cu and 60 Hz.

Most of the current (63%) according to the wiki at 60 Hz in Cu wire is in the outer 8 mm of the wire.

Skin effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Am I reading something different than you? Sure looks like electrons travel on the outside of a conductor.
As for it being OK to use solid bare copper wire and terminals, that is just hogwash
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 10:00   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Guy, what you are missing is that yes, the current is flowing on the skin, but the depth that comprises the "skin" is frequency dependent. For 60hz, that depth is ~8mm, which is larger than the diameter of the wire being used. So, for all intents and purposes, the current is flowing through the entire conductor in this case.

Is hogwash your opinion? You might be mighty surprised if you looked inside some of your equipment...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 10:17   #34

Boat: Seafarer36c

I have looked inside some of it and I can see why it quits.
I stand corrected on the "skin " issue.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 19:06   #35

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
We have a generator on board I want a high capacity charger, at least 100 amps, to charge batteries using the generator. Cost of inverter charger was about the same as a charger with this amperage. Installed a Prosine 2000 which gave me 100 amps of charging and a good cup of Coffee and Microwave without using the generator. Even though it is Xantrex product it has been flawless for the last five years. Oh I bought a rebuilt which was about 40% less than a new one.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43   #36

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Cool Re: Battery charger versus inverter

Many, many thanks to all whom contributed, I really appreciate all of the knowledge that can be gained, here. The BEST part is the knowledge gleaned from all of you is experience-based knowledge, not just book-smart. My Momma always told me I needed some street smarts to go with the book knowledge..... Dock head, Muskoka, Finistere, really appreciated you mentioning what you have and it's good versus bad, that's tremendously beneficial for anyone about to plunk down some major denaro... So it looks like I'm going to be investing in an inverter....anyone else out there got some recommendations to be considered before I go get an inverter or inverter-charger?
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53   #37

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdboater View Post
Many, many thanks to all whom contributed, I really appreciate all of the knowledge that can be gained, here. The BEST part is the knowledge gleaned from all of you is experience-based knowledge, not just book-smart. My Momma always told me I needed some street smarts to go with the book knowledge..... Dock head, Muskoka, Finistere, really appreciated you mentioning what you have and it's good versus bad, that's tremendously beneficial for anyone about to plunk down some major denaro... So it looks like I'm going to be investing in an inverter....anyone else out there got some recommendations to be considered before I go get an inverter or inverter-charger?
You don't mention what size battery bank you have, but 40A is not much charging ability. Because of that, I would go with an inverter charger, which will give you 80-100A charging.

Magnum make excellent units.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote