Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2019, 15:10   #496

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Balmar SG-200 Battery Monitor

It would be nice if the SG200 were NMEA2000 compatible, could display its data over that system, and could be updated from a MFD, but I guess Balmar's market is more than marine.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 15:34   #497

Boat: Delphia 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Two-rocks,

The issue you are seeing is something we are aware of, and will address. The Bluetooth gateway is almost ready. When released, the fix for this issue may be in the first firmware update that will be "Included" with the initial app download. If not, it certainly will be in a follow up update shortly thereafter.

Chris
Chris would it be possible to post a list of current known issues?

Would help those of us getting readings which are unexpected to stop chasing our tails.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 15:51   #498

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Ken must be having a chuckle.
DOS principle once again.
Or, hope springs eternal.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 16:13   #499
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Does DOS principal mean, best to work from CLI rather than GUI?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 16:24   #500

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Nope, far more mundane.
Definition of stupid, or denial of service
Take your pick.

I prefer hope springs eternal as Rod testing was involved in my thought processing.

But, once again specific lab testing is not necessarily indicative of how its
going to perform with multiple variables altered. (butchered)

Which begs the question what was wrong with a decent volt meter a chart for your chemistry and half a brain. (As mentioned by you and a doz others)

Now you mention it the GUI is suprizingly easy to use.
A stern warning could have been included before reset of SOH tho.
Few read manuals, so wizards are good. $'s
As its entry level, CLI is out of the question.
More emphasis should be place on customizing settings to achieve accuracy.
With flow chart.
IMO, needless to say.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 17:53   #501

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dear Chris,

I had understood when I purchased the SG-200 from Peter Kennedy, that when the Cell phone app became available, it would be free to early adapters.

Quote:
Post #501 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2933003 written by Chris W.
Updating will take a BT gateway. I am sure there will be updates that will add functionality into the future. We certainly have some improvements we are working on. For those that don't want the gateway otherwise, It can be plugged in and then removed after updating, if dock mates wish to share. Chris

This is an interesting wrinkle. If a laptop supports bluetooth I assume that is a "bluetooth gateway". There are usb bluetooth adapters available for $8 to $14 for older laptops that don't have BT. Once the SG-200 is "linked" to bluetooth, how or what are the steps to update?

Now I've found this on the Balmar website, which actually means that the SG200 that I have does not have builtin bluetooth and appears to require purchase of another Balmar Component "SG2-0300".
"Optional Smartphone/Bluetooth® Gateway
Coming Soon, Free iOS and Android Apps (Requires Bluetooth® Gateway PN SG2-0300)
View All Parameters on your Phone
Download Product Updates"
So I'll just ask, what is PN SG2-0300 "Bluetooth Gateway" going to cost the user? I do hope that it is kept at a reasonable price, as buyers will be comparing features and cost with other prominent manufacturers devices.

I purchased expecting and looking forward to use the cell phone app and it was not clear and I did not understand the full device would cost additional money.

I see the app as potentially a very valuable control, alert and history recording of multiple readings, beyond what is available in the display. I believe the app could be the answer for those who are still interested in counting coulombs or wishing to know and perhaps even use trailing current for alerts or other physical actions.

Sincerely, Rick Gleason
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 21:27   #502

Received my first photo of the SG-200 in action. No idea if the 100% is correct or not. All I can tell is that the battery chargers were in the absorption phase at the time. The 22A charge current is about 3% of the 740 AH 20-hour capacity.

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7662.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	196190  
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 23:11   #503

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
Received my first photo of the SG-200 in action. No idea if the 100% is correct or not. All I can tell is that the battery chargers were in the absorption phase at the time. The 22A charge current is about 3% of the 740 AH 20-hour capacity.

Allan.
What is the reason of installing an SG when having the fully configurable Victron environment next to it?

Ist it because of the bigger letters on a pixel graphic color screen, or is there any other reason? You have already high quality and accuracy gauges, there are bt dongles available for them if not already built-in.

But maybe it is the + in SOC+ you had been missing, it is always better to have an SOC+ than just SOC I guess. With the next FW update, I bet, you'll get 100.5% SOC++ for free!
Old 19-07-2019, 06:29   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
What is the reason of installing an SG when having the fully configurable Victron environment next to it?

I am placing my money, literally, on the SG being automatically a more accurate indication of when the house battery bank needs to be charged, especially as the bank ages and loses capacity.

on your other commentary.

Allan
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 09:01   #505
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes to me even if both are equally accurate for SoC they are complimentary. If not, then a sanity check is helpful for troubleshooting.

If the SG-200's SoH indicator is accurate, that alone is well worth the price for many setups.

And a meter that can guesstimate SoC reasonably with less reset / calibration fussing is well worth helping to get there.

The BMV can then show the "live" current reading, and totalize Ah in & out for those that like that info.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 09:13   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The BMV can then show the "live" current reading, and totalize Ah in & out for those that like that info.
The SG200 shows a nice live current reading - and is accurate. Comparing the solar input (Victron MPPT) with SG200 and the delta confirms all this.

My issue is with the SoH and mine is now stuck at 100% (almost a week now) for very old batteries (7+ years). If the calculation is as such then any calculation based on that error is completely irrelevant. So it's a nice ammeter that lacks the ability function as a totalizer.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 10:58   #507

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I can confirm that the ammeter is very accurate. I bench tested mine on my $20k Keysight DC power analyzer (which can resolve down to nanoamps) and it's pretty spot on for boat usage. Admittedly I did only test a small amp draw (500mA) so larger loads I just assume it would be similar accuracy.

However my Victron solar controllers are not very accurate. I am running 3 of them for self contained Industrial IoT gateway installs. When I bench tested the current on my device it was 305 mA average over 24 hours. When reported by Victron Bluetooth app, it fluctuates between 0.2A and 0.3A.

Further, over 24 hours, it reports my gateway consumed 80Wh/daily when I datalogged gateway on my Keysight it reported 92.192Wh over 24 hours, and this was measured every 1ms.

So I'd say take your Victron readings as a rough estimate of harvested power since they do not agree with my calibrated instruments.

A fun toy to have when you get down to harvesting mV from thermal sources. Here I'm harvesting heat through a Peltier device (8C differential) enough to power my industrial sensor 5x more than I need. This device does not have a battery, just harvesting to supercap. I've done similar with $2 solar cells. Probably same as Garmin does with their windex device I would think.

The green board with all the wires etc has MPPT built in which is pretty cool and the actual IC is about the size of a grain of rice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_071623.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	196242  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 11:20   #508

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

From post #511 Please correct to "early adopters". funny mistake to make.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 11:26   #509
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Ken must be having a chuckle.
DOS principle once again.
Or, hope springs eternal.
Ken takes no pleasure watching other people suffer, so he has a habit of calling things as he sees them, then trying to warn others of problems.

Ken is also a big advocate of products which work out well, and tries his best to pass on the positive reports.

Smartgauge.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 11:56   #510

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Ken takes no pleasure watching other people suffer, so he has a habit of calling things as he sees them, then trying to warn others of problems.

Ken is also a big advocate of products which work out well, and tries his best to pass on the positive reports.

Smartgauge.

Ken is suffering from Illeism now?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, battery, monitor