Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 03:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Wind Speed not registering on ST70

The wind speed stopped working on all My ST70 instruments. Any suggestions on where to start looking and most likely problem
peterwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:01   #2

Boat: Van de stadt 40
Re: Wind Speed not registering on ST70

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilliam View Post
The wind speed stopped working on all My ST70 instruments. Any suggestions on where to start looking and most likely problem

have you checked that the wind cups are still in place?
ours flew off in a high wind and had to be replaced
van demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:08   #3

Hi van demon, I can see the anemometer spinning freely. All looks well from the deck. Must have been a shock to see them missing.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:18   #4

Boat: Van de stadt 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilliam View Post
Hi van demon, I can see the anemometer spinning freely. All looks well from the deck. Must have been a shock to see them missing.

found this on raymarine site, hope its of help

Masthead Test:
Using a digital volt meter you should see the following readings:
Red to Screen: 8V
Blue to Screen: Variable 2 to 6V
Green to Screen: Variable 2 to 6V
Yellow to Screen: Variable 0 to 5V
If any one of the readings are out of spec. then the masthead is at fault.
van demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:51   #5

I have just replaced the cable from the wind instrument to the head to solve this problem on my boat. The solution is via incremental exclusion as I'm unconvinced by the utility of the voltage parameters in genuinely sorting out cable versus masthead faults.
As it is easiest to check the connections at the mast step junction box and to the back of the head, I'd do that first. Then, suggest you connect a second anemometer and cable to the head and see if it works. If obtaining one is problematic, I'd suggest you simply purchase the cable at about $55-75, make a trip to the mast head, unplug your anemometer, bring it down and plug it in using the faultless new cable connected directly to the head. Thus, for less than 30 minutes of technician labour costs, you'll know if its the cable (in which case you've wasted nothing becuase us need it), or otherwise. My bet is it will be in the cable or in the connections. Differentiating between the anemometer and the head will likley require a tech who has a spare to substitute.

Good luck.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:21   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
I have just replaced the cable from the wind instrument to the head to solve this problem on my boat. The solution is via incremental exclusion as I'm unconvinced by the utility of the voltage parameters in genuinely sorting out cable versus masthead faults.
As it is easiest to check the connections at the mast step junction box and to the back of the head, I'd do that first. Then, suggest you connect a second anemometer and cable to the head and see if it works. If obtaining one is problematic, I'd suggest you simply purchase the cable at about $55-75, make a trip to the mast head, unplug your anemometer, bring it down and plug it in using the faultless new cable connected directly to the head. Thus, for less than 30 minutes of technician labour costs, you'll know if its the cable (in which case you've wasted nothing becuase us need it), or otherwise. My bet is it will be in the cable or in the connections. Differentiating between the anemometer and the head will likley require a tech who has a spare to substitute.

Good luck.
Note: The ST70 doesn't connect directly to the anemometer, there is either a transducer pod or ITC-5 in between them. (or daisy-chained off older ST60/50 displays)
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 21:02   #7

Thanks for the help so far, I am amazed at the quality, helpfulness and speed of advice from the lagoon community. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute myself soon. I'll do some work on it and report back later.
Old 03-06-2014, 16:43   #8

I climbed the mast and removed the transducer (wind vane & anemometer), cleaned the contacts with a proprietary contact cleaner and reconnected with a silicon lubricant with di-electric properties for contact and sealing and wind speed is now operational.

Tags
wind