Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 17:06   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
New roller jib

Hi
The roller jib on my Lagoon 400 needs replacing has anyone got any suggestions on material etc. I intend coastal sailing around New Zealand for a couple of years then as our experience grows, cruising up to the pacific islands. The UV is pretty intense here so what UV strip should I get. Also sail dimensions would be really helpful, as I can't measure the old sail at the moment as the boat isn't anywhere near. Thanks
Mapuado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 18:53   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: New roller jib

Welcome to CF. Where in NZ are you?

There are a number of local sailmakers who can provide excellent and personal service (I can personally recommend Dave of Calibre Sails in Whangarei and JF of Nautilus Sails in Auckland, but there are plenty of others), several large companies that are more commercial (Doyles, Evolution, Lidgard, North, etc) and there are online Asian-based sailmakers (Rolly Tasker, Lee Sails, etc). Google is your friend.

Sunbrella material is pretty standard for UV strips. You can also consider getting a furler sleeve for use when berthing, which you hoist on a separate halyard over top of the furled sail to provide further UV protection.

For size, if your boat has a standard L400 rig then you should be able to get the sail measurements from the sail plan, either for your boat specifically (did your boat have its yacht manual?) or for your Lagoon 400 year model generally via Google.

Material is totally up to you and your budget, but generally Dacron is most suitable for cruising sails if durability is your primary concern. A sailmaker can advise on cloth weights and construction methods. Most sailmaker websites have information about all of this.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 23:44   #3

From my L400 - Hope this helps

Sail measurements
Luff 13.89m
leech 13.13m
Foot 5.70m

Boat Measurements ( for sailmakers )

Max hoist on furler swivel to drum 15.12m
Max hoist on swivel to BP Sheave at front of genoa track 13.81m
Max hoist on swivel to BP Sheave at back of of genoa track 13.82m

Furler tack to BP sheave at front of genoa track 5.45m
Furler tack to BP sheave at back of genoa track 6.27m

front of mast behind furler tack at drum height 3.80m

max hoist on Swivel to mast base 13.95m

Top spreaders above mast base 9.62m
Lower spreaders above mast base 5.13m

Furler Unit Facnor LS200

UV on Starboard side
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:51   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks Fxykty and Feebs your info is invaluable. We live in the top of the South Island near Mapua and just bought Fait Accompli. She is currently at Pier 21 in Auckland and is sailing down to Havelock (old sails and all) next week weather permitting.
Mapuado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

One of the most experienced sailmakers I've ever met is in Whangarei. Has worked all over the world. David Parr and Calipre Sails
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 21:08   #6

Boat: LAGOON 440

Hi Mapuado. I have sitting here in Auckland in my garage a furling genoa and a square top main sail (no battens) for a Lagoon 400. My sail maker said that they were in pretty good condition, but we opted to replace them before setting off on our Pacific islands circuit last year. Would one or both be of interest? If so please give me a call or text on o-two-two-o-seven-four-eight-double nine-four.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib