Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 23:23   #46

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Make sure you show some pix when you've completed this relocation. I'd be keen to take a look.

I'll also seriously consider bow thrusters. It's all about making thing easier and ultimately safer for everyone involved.
As promised....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4334.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	55269   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4331.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	55270  

Name:	DSCN4200.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	55271   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4205.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	55272  

Name:	DSCN4204.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	55273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4335.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	55274  

Old 19-02-2013, 23:37   #47

Now i or my wife can back our 440 into any spot using the twin controls and thruster by touchpad or Joystick, i did it all myself and it cost under $500:00AU. Works a treat!

A mooring rope tied to the cleat beside the helm is very easy to flick onto a dock cleat, in Europe you back into your pen, very rarely you come alongside, i usually favour angling the port quarter in first, secure and power away slightly bringing the head to Stb.

I think if people think 'out of the square' a little by spending less time criticising and more time innovating then the boats offered on today's market might be more usable.

I did the above mod with 'Teleflex' cables, it becomes a lot easier if you use electronic/fly by wire.

It ain't rocket science.

Cheers
Old 20-02-2013, 00:09   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Surely they are not doing a HYBRID again?
Hybrid? I don't want a hybrid. I don't want any diesel or other hydrocarbons on a boat. I want all-electric propulsion, cooking, heating, etc.
Old 20-02-2013, 00:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Hybrid? I don't want a hybrid. I don't want any diesel or other hydrocarbons on a boat. I want all-electric propulsion, cooking, heating, etc.
Can't see Lagoon or any major doing that for some time, really the only way is to do a retrofit?
Old 20-02-2013, 01:17   #50

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Now i or my wife can back our 440 into any spot using the twin controls and thruster by touchpad or Joystick, i did it all myself and it cost under $500:00AU. Works a treat!

A mooring rope tied to the cleat beside the helm is very easy to flick onto a dock cleat, in Europe you back into your pen, very rarely you come alongside, i usually favour angling the port quarter in first, secure and power away slightly bringing the head to Stb.

I think if people think 'out of the square' a little by spending less time criticising and more time innovating then the boats offered on today's market might be more usable.

I did the above mod with 'Teleflex' cables, it becomes a lot easier if you use electronic/fly by wire.

It ain't rocket science.

Cheers
M8,
You da man. That is absolutely awesome. Lagoon should employ you as a "on the water" designer. Oz-e, oz-e, oz-e.

Even more so as you put it together over two continents.

Well done ... I take my hat off to you.

The only improvement I can think of is having the remote station "pop up" from nowhere only when you need it. Work on it!

Dave
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 01:29   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
M8,
You da man. That is absolutely awesome. Lagoon should employ you as a "on the water" designer. Oz-e, oz-e, oz-e.

Even more so as you put it together over two continents.

Well done ... I take my hat off to you.

The only improvement I can think of is having the remote station "pop up" from nowhere only when you need it. Work on it!

Dave
Ah that's the 007 Version that pops up BUT it creates a problem in a rolling sea grabbing for a de-popped helm!!!

I went to camping world and bought a $20:00 bag long enough to fit it in = 800mm. I filled it with new valves and fittings etc then bubble wrapped it and packed clothes around it to protect.

Customs in Rome said 'do you have anything to declare'......Nope!
Customs in Croatia same story but they x-rayed it! I looked checking my welds LMAO all they said was all the gear new, so i said no i've had it for a while and that was true, the ally was in my container at Calliope for years but just not in this new shape.....

It has been there for two weeks now and as you walk past you automatically reach for it as though it's been there forever.

Tried it out and it's taken away that uneasy feeling of not knowing how close to the jagged quay you are..
Thanks for your comments. oi oi oi.
Old 20-02-2013, 12:07   #52

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Looks very good, but its in the wrong topic.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 21:56   #53

I disagree, what i've done solves the problems of backing up a Lagoon of any size, a friend has a 52 on order here in CROATIA guess what he wants to fit to his, have you seen just how far it is from upper helm to the aft mooring cleat?

He single-hands his boats normally.

So yes very much on topic.

Cheers
Old 21-02-2013, 00:56   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I didn't quite get why is the mast is so aft.. They are talking about many advantages of doing so but there is one negative that they don't talk about; the center of action of the sail and the center of gravity of the boat is way up. The first may be good for picking up more wind but the second is very dangereous particularly in heavy weathers. The second thing I didn't like is the bridge which is very low and narrow. The very highy boom is a Lagoon standard anymore, they won't give up, useless to comment..
The strongest point of Lagoon, internal architecture and the use of space is gorgeous.. Let's see what the answer of FP will be..

Yeloya
I think there are some good points made here, but there are also some that I am not so concerned about. The higher mast will only raise the center of gravity of a 52,000+ pound boat an inch or so. Hard to get bothered there.

The center of aerodynamic force on the mainsail will be up a bit to, perhaps as much a 5 feet, but since the stability of a 52-foot cat must be absolutely awesome, my gut feeling is that either the sail or rigging would fail before she goes over in a strong wind. (I read in a book written by a fellow who designs multi-hulls that stability scales with the fourth power of LOA.)

I've been waiting for the mast to move aft. Having a large main and a small foresail has always seemed crazy to me. Fast monohulls have been moving more and more toward high aspect ratio mains with larger foresails for many years now. Why not multi-hulls?

However, having the mast in the middle of the salon does seem like a challenge. It would be nice if it stopped at the salon roof, but that would require a lot more structure there, so I can see why that decided to put it through to the bridge structure.

Just my opinions,

Doug
dougdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 01:10   #55

The dynamics of all these designs are calculated and approved by Naval Architects.

Lagoon haven't given up on the boom simply because it works so well, these are not America's cup contenders these are comfortable cruising boats that you'll find in anchorages all over the world.

These boats will generate a lot of compression loads. It will be interesting to watch the early deliveries.
Old 21-02-2013, 01:35   #56

I agree. I'm convinced that Lagoon uses one of the best yacht naval architects around.

While these are cruisers and not racers, I don't think anyone said to himself 'That boat is slower, so it's the one I'll buy.'

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the self tacking foresail wasn't a big consideration in their decision to move the mast aft. It is a feature that I would certainly like.

BTW, I live in Budapest. Would it be possible to visit you in Croatia some day? You are obviously an innovative and interesting fellow. -- Doug
Old 21-02-2013, 01:48   #57

Hey Doug I think the sail plan mimics the 'A' Class cats as previously talked about.

What i'm not sure about is the size of a genoa when it's been furled with so much area, i think furled there will be huge windeage on the forestay!

We are here till early April then we go to Greek Islands, Seaworthy has promised a party which we cannot miss..
Old 21-02-2013, 02:02   #58

Thanks, I'll check with the Admiral.

Good point about windage on the forestay. I haven't thought about it.

Everything seems to point to greater compressive loads on the mast. Of course, that is one of the strong points of a catamaran's beam.

Doug
Old 21-02-2013, 02:40   #59
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I have an unformal info that the L 52 delivered to Miami boat show didn't quite do well. They didi the passage from Canaries to Caribbean (I don't know exactly where but it should rather be Goudalaoupe or Martinique) in 3 weeks..The factory manager and experience skippers on board with routing support form France and for this size of boat, it's not impressive..
As I said, I still tend to believe that this rigging could have some issues. Has anybody seen yet any review/test or even a picture/video clip under sail ?Isn't it strange so many months after the launch that there is nothing around ?
I need this size of cat, but I want to see the FP as well to be announced shortly. I guess it will be an enlarged version of Helia which I liked a lot.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 19:32   #60

Here are some pics under sail...

Name:	00001-Lagoon52-Sailing-in-Greece.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	55415