Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41   #1

Lagoon 500 vs 52

I'm a huge fan of both boats, as well as the 560. But the comparison seems more apt with 500 vs 52. I can't speak to price comparisons on the 52 vs the 560 that include depreciation, but I think it's safe to say the 560 is in a bit of another league. I mean, who wouldn't prefer the 560.

Anyhow, to me, I think they all represent the optimal evolution of what I'd want in a boat right now. Sadly, it will probably some time before I can afford to own one. Hope to charter one next season.

I've now read several reviews of both boats and I understand most of the differences. The aft mast position on the 52 claims to have some structural / weight saving benefit as well as allowing the main to swing out farther. I suppose that's what one reviewer meant by "more traction." Yet, if you look at the Lagoon website one of the architects claims that "the performance should be as good as the Lagoon 500, maybe better."

It's the "maybe" that got me. Given the "improved" mast setup and slightly different hull design along with the weight savings from the afforded structural relocation, shouldn't it be "definitely better?"

Once again, I wish the company put out some polars.

But then as I read on about the Lagoon 500, it seems as though the bar is already pretty high. Everyone claims outstanding performance.

I'm sure I'll find out more next week in Annapolis, but I'm guessing I might find some thing out here too.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Re: Lagoon 500 vs 52

Hey Dave, Have you been onboard the 50 we have at the docks at Sail Away? Pat, the owner would probably welcome you on one of their daysails. The boat will also be in the Annapolis Boat Show in the charter section of the show. Tell Pat Sid sent ya! Cheers
Old 04-10-2013, 16:20   #3

Hi Sid, I think she had just arrived last time I was at pier 7. Looked very clean. I'll make sure to stop by at the show.
Old 04-10-2013, 17:54   #4

IMHO, the L52 has heralded a new class of Lagoon yachts, and will be nearly as notable a new design as was the 440. Don't let the length fool you, this is a completely new design which creates more livable room than the 560 (and some might even argue the 620). The 560's, as a result, are loosing some value and market appeal. The 52 is very seaworthy and relatively fast. Not that we tack a lot, but heading up or down a coastline is only a matter of steering the course since the self tacking (jibing) rig requires little effort. The 500 had a really nice galley, upper and lower, but the bridge deck is completely different. I like shade and the new Bimini is awesome for that. A well equipped 52 costs only about 15% less than the larger 560. Lastly, I am turned off by a single point of access to the flybridge and really appreciate having steps to the deck on both sides. It really improves guest flow around the ship and is safer (again, imho).

Now when a new 62 comes to market in this new configuration, that will be compelling as a charter yacht, but will be enormous in size and likely over $3M. I think the market could use a new large cat in this category. I think other designs appear 'dated' now, and the Privilege 745 at up to $5M is for a niche customer.
Freedom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 18:05   #5

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 46lr

If your looking for a deal on a new lagoon, then look no further. lagoon, in their wisdom, have made public their entire dealer network available on page 41 of this pdf Not only that if you read this page Relevant Issues | Lagoon Litigation you will see that the dealer commission on a new lagoon is a whopping 17% of your money. I cant see why anyone armed with this knowledge wouldn't just e mail all the dealers looking for their best price?
Does that look like an own goal by Lagoon, and a win for the consumer
Pegasus SVYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 21:31   #6

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Are you trying to tell us that the Dealers are not to make money ?
15-20% is normal on al Boat brands. It be Cats or half-boats, or tri`s
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 23:28   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

interesting site Peg, wow the insurance is expensive. 88K deductible seems ridiculous. And of course brokers need to make $$$ . 95% of their work is unpaid (dealing with prospective clients, helping old clients, office/equipment lease, insurances, deliveries including flights, accommodation, boat show appearances, etc etc. Of course the buyers have to pay for this work. The more important is to find a broker who you trust and will be there for you when you need them.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 15:54   #8

Boat: Lagoon 52

hy monte great statemant -i just on land with a 52 to do garantieworks (not only) -at this time you are happy when you sighned the contrakt with a dealer you can trust and help you against a shipyard wich like not to handel the Problems say build in theire boats.
herbert.dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 11:26   #9
cjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom52 View Post
IMHO, the L52 has heralded a new class of Lagoon yachts, and will be nearly as notable a new design as was the 440. Don't let the length fool you, this is a completely new design which creates more livable room than the 560 (and some might even argue the 620). The 560's, as a result, are loosing some value and market appeal. The 52 is very seaworthy and relatively fast. Not that we tack a lot, but heading up or down a coastline is only a matter of steering the course since the self tacking (jibing) rig requires little effort. The 500 had a really nice galley, upper and lower, but the bridge deck is completely different. I like shade and the new Bimini is awesome for that. A well equipped 52 costs only about 15% less than the larger 560. Lastly, I am turned off by a single point of access to the flybridge and really appreciate having steps to the deck on both sides. It really improves guest flow around the ship and is safer (again, imho).

Now when a new 62 comes to market in this new configuration, that will be compelling as a charter yacht, but will be enormous in size and likely over $3M. I think the market could use a new large cat in this category. I think other designs appear 'dated' now, and the Privilege 745 at up to $5M is for a niche customer.
We are planning to charter a catamaran for a holiday in the Greek Islands. We have 10 passengers (6 adults and 4 teenagers) and expect a crew of 2. We are looking at both Lagoon 500 and Lagoon 52 catamarans. Which would you recommend for a one-week holiday for 10 passengers? The group seems to be most concerned with "common space" areas to hang out, eat meals, etc... In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each catamaran? Thanks so much!
cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 11:40   #10

Hi CJW,

No decision here, the flybridge of the 52 will give your teenagers plenty of covered sleeping space. The flybridge of the 500 is only a bench. This is one of the big improvements. Plus it will be a newer boat. Be careful bareboating a 52 because it has lots of complicated systems, so you will need some help, IMHO.

We have Freedom available for Charter in the Grenadines beginning again in May, after completing a Virgin Island season this winter. Some say this 100km stretch of islands and trade winds are some of the best in the world.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested, but we can only take up to 8.
Freedom52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon