Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 08:51   #466

Boat: Lagoon 400 Amritha
Re: Slings

Looks practical Hanafe. It never ceases to amaze me how I can carefully store the sheets only to discover that when I use them the next time they have created a large knot. Its seems as if there is a gremlin that comes out at night and tangles the lines.

We purchased the aftermarked galley overhead cabinet. Rediculously expensive but this is a boat after all.

What are other people doing about galley storage. I don't like storing things under the bench seats. I have tossed all of my pots and pans into a large plastic bin and keep it under the nav station desk. I am thinking about pulling out the garbage can that is under the sink and installing shelving. Seems odd that on such a large boat the galley storage is so pooor.

Cheers

Bman
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:26   #467

Boat: Lagoon 400 #181
Will a 3.5m/11.5 feet RIB fit?

I'm looking at what dinghy to buy for my 400 (to be delivered in July), can anybody tell me if a 3.5m/11.5 feet RIB (AB 11 AL, 59kg) will fit between the davits? Or is it too large?
yme_bosma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33   #468

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yme_bosma
I'm looking at what dinghy to buy for my 400 (to be delivered in July), can anybody tell me if a 3.5m/11.5 feet RIB (AB 11 AL, 59kg) will fit between the davits? Or is it too large?
We have a 3.8m in our 440 which I later had shortened to a 3.6 (by getting them to cut off.and round the pointy ends.

It's not about fitting between the davits but more about fitting between the inside of the hulls. I recommend you measure from inside of hull to inside of the other..... Any greater dimension and the dingy starts encroaching on the stairway.

Hope this helps
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:05   #469

Re: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We have a 3.8m in our 440 which I later had shortened to a 3.6 (by getting them to cut off.and round the pointy ends.

It's not about fitting between the davits but more about fitting between the inside of the hulls. I recommend you measure from inside of hull to inside of the other..... Any greater dimension and the dingy starts encroaching on the stairway.

Hope this helps
Thanks impi, now let's see if someone knows if it will fit between the hulls of a 400 or if I should buy a smaller RIB...
Old 06-06-2011, 14:54   #470

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Re: Will a 3.5m/11.5 feet RIB fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yme_bosma View Post
I have a 310 mtr. Rib at my L 400 and would say it is close to the maximum to go for. It is not just the lenght of the rib, but also the engine which needs a bit space.

My 310 is just fine between the hulls and I have to be carefull already when bringing up or lowering, not to scratch the hull with the engine.

Maybe 320 is still o.k. but I do not think 350 is possible at all.

HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 19:10   #471

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Hello Hanafe and all, I haven’t had any problems with my winches but not a lot of use so far. I have just returned from a week’s holiday in Port Douglas in northern Queensland, we paid for a trip out to the reef for some snorkelling, the operator was using a near new Lagoon 620 which I was keen to have a look at, the skipper was very friendly even gave me a go at the wheel I asked him have there been any major problems he advised the main problem was one of the electric winches all of a sudden started by itself the sheet was tailed at the time and did a fair amount of damage, touching on Katsumi’s post the skipper stated they now never leave the sheets tailed. Regards Peter
Hi again peterp, had you let us know you were in town we would have loved a chat! We are berthed in the same marina as the 620. I believe they have had a few problems its true.

We have little issues, and one that bothers me just now, what is everybody doing about the floating drain cover in the showers? It drives me crazy, the agent said most people pump the shower regularly enough that this is not an issue, I tried last night and you need very little water on the floor for the cover to start rising up. The problem is, my husband keeps standing on it when it's floating and the lugs are bending, if we don't come up with the solution soon, we will be up for a new cover. We are thinking about glueing some heavy bolts to the bottom of it to weigh it down, anyone else have a solution?
Old 07-06-2011, 00:42   #472

Re: Will a 3.5m/11.5 feet RIB fit?

Thanks hanafe, I will go for a smaller model.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:42   #473

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post
Hi again peterp, had you let us know you were in town we would have loved a chat! We are berthed in the same marina as the 620. I believe they have had a few problems its true.

We have little issues, and one that bothers me just now, what is everybody doing about the floating drain cover in the showers? It drives me crazy, the agent said most people pump the shower regularly enough that this is not an issue, I tried last night and you need very little water on the floor for the cover to start rising up. The problem is, my husband keeps standing on it when it's floating and the lugs are bending, if we don't come up with the solution soon, we will be up for a new cover. We are thinking about glueing some heavy bolts to the bottom of it to weigh it down, anyone else have a solution?
Have to agree with your agent. Pumping the water regularly (pushing the button every couple of second) solves the problem. It is anoying, I agree.
HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09   #474

Boat: FP Elba 45

[QUOTE=katsumi;702592]Hi again peterp, had you let us know you were in town we would have loved a chat! We are berthed in the same marina as the 620. I believe they have had a few problems its true.

Hello Katsumi, after our day trip on the L620 at Port Douglas, I did see your L400 and I tried to acces the finger you were moored on but could not get through the security gate, would have been great to have a chat. Re the shower, must confess with great shame that we have not used the said shower as yet, I guess we just are loath to have a brand new shower get wet.......Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:42   #475

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Re: the shower drain covers.

It is quite annoying. It's also a shame that Lagoon hasn't come up with a better design AND retrofitted the whole 400 fleet.

We're planning to replace the drain cover with a teak shower floor grate. A piece of something like Corian cut to fit would be real nice.
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:36   #476

Boat: Lagoon 400

thanks everyone, we are also thinking of a teak cover for the drain, we had one on our Beneteau 40cc and it looked really nice.. Dumb design huh? I keep one toe on it while I shower, problem is there is usually three of us in there (either myself or my hubby along with both our 3 and 5 year old girls) so it's hard to keep your toe on it! Even more frustrating is if the 3 year old is sitting over the drain, and you think you are pumping and it's not going down..... wet floor mat!
Peter we live on ours the showers get a work out! We would have welcomed a visit, come back any time, the gate keeps out the riff raff!
We are having an extension built on the back out from the roof of a stainless steel frame with blue sunbrella fabric that matches the cockpit covers, which will provide more shade, more rain protection and a place for the solar panels. I will post a photo when I get a chance.
PS: still LOVE our Lagoon
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16   #477

Re: Lagoon 400 rope storage bags

Hello Hanafe and all, attached some pictures of the extra rope storage bags I brought from our local chandlery, I don't know about the rest of you guys but my 400 only came with one, not enough to keep things shipshape and bristol fashion. Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail bag jib.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	29143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail bags.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	29144  

Old 02-07-2011, 05:56   #478

Re: Lagoon 400 Solar panels and clears

Hello katsumi, next time we visit Port Douglas we will yell out or something. For your interest I have attached a couple of shots of my factory solar panels and the factory clears, the clears create a warm sunroom effect down south here in freezing Melbourne, not sure if you have them, if you haven't is that why you are fitting a extension out from the roof. Re the shower we will try it in the near future, good to have a heads up on the problem. Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	solar- tender.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	29145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cvers and solar.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	29146  

Old 02-07-2011, 16:01   #479
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

G'day Peter

You may recall we met at the Sydney 2011 Boat Show when we were looking at buying an L400 with Steve Austin. We liked the L400 very much, but really struggled with SA. Anyway, we ended up buyjng CatNirvana, a 2010 model L440 lying in Sardinia, and I sailed her back (with 2 professional delivery crew) to Sydney, arriving in early June. We just completed some post voyage maintenance (e.g. new anti-foul and replacement halyards after 14000nm!) and we're making CatNirvana ready for her new role as a floating gallery to cruise the Aussie coast.

So we will now look forward to sharing some beautiful anchorages with you in the not too distant future! Let us know if you're heading north. We're still based in Sydney, but we will be moving to our home in Yamba early in 2012.

In the meantime, those solar panels of yours look interesting. What's the power output? ...and what sort of systems (frig's, nav gear, etc) do they power for you when cruising?

All the best,
Don & Di
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 21:33   #480

Re: Lagoon 400 Solar panel question

Hello Don, good to see you on line again and well done on your Lagoon 440 purchase and what a adventure sailing it home all that way, you will have to post some pics and a report, I’m sure everyone will be interested. Re your solar panel question, the solar panels are the factory option, I just ticked the box, there are three panels 135W each, I must say I’m not good on the electrical nuts and bolts of things however to try and give you a idea based on my experience, I took delivery last October 2010, from then on we sailed most weekends, when we went home sometimes not taking it out again for two or three weeks in that time the two fridges were left running 24/7, really I found I had no need to connect shore power at all, a breakdown of the battery charging in that time would be typically about two hours on engines when we took it out of our marina and returned, and the solar panels, the electrical items running when sailing are the two factory fridges, the dual Raymarine E120 touch screen plotters, radar, AIS 500, VHF, and the normal suite of ancillary instruments, and four electric winches which are used occasionally on any given day, I guess on top of that is the grand lunch with the mandatory bottle of red where the microwave would get a workout via the inverter, if I felt the batteries were a bit low I would fire up the 7 KVA Onan factory gen set just to run the microwave, my understanding is that inverters are hard on batteries. I started noticing this year when arriving back at the cat after being away for a couple of weeks or so the battery’s had a low warning on, so from April this year when the sun has lost some of it’s punch I always connect shore power when leaving for some time. Hope the above bushman’s report help you form a opinion on my solar panels. I have attached some pics of the chargers.
Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charger.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	29174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar charger.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	29175