Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2007, 11:27   #16

Boat: Leopard40 39ft Myrtle
What is hanging there over the port side?.....is that a bag of rum?
The South African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 11:42   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by The South African
What is hanging there over the port side?.....is that a bag of rum?
lol, nope. I sometimes coil and hang dock lines on some of the cleats. (I think the picture is making the line look bigger then it was with shadows and such).
swarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 12:28   #18

Never sailed on one, but we had a 'tour' last year in BVI. We too were very disappointed in the cockpit. The boat we were on had the (optional?) cockpit storage/seats against the salon bulkhead. These are great for storage, but the result is that it's impossible to maneuver around the table - you either walk on the cusions or sit down and scoot. The remaining cockpit floor space was dominated by the scary 'stairwell' to the salon. No way two people could exit/enter at the same time. I assume the helm seat railing is there to prevent the captain from even thinking about climbing off to the right - could be a 4' fall into the scary stairwell.

Maybe none of this wouldn't bother most people, but for us one of the big attractions of catamarans is the monster easy-to-move-around cockpit. We much prefer a more or less same level cockpit/salon entrance with double sliding doors. Probably, this isn't the most seaworthy design, but it's much more friendly for hanging out at anchor, and that's what we spend most of our awake boat time doing.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 15:31   #19

Of course, you can solve part of the problem by converting to a skate board sized table:

slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 15:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion
Of course, you can solve part of the problem by converting to a skate board sized table
I think I like this 380 setup that I saw over in the 380 owners group better (I think the boat name is "Some days a diamond").

Old 14-06-2007, 19:12   #21
smm

Boat: Farrier F41 Catamaran - Endless Summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull addict
3. Hatches - In light to medium rains one of the hatches in the saloon leaked badly and 3 of the 4 hatches over the staterooms leaked on the beds. Surprisingly bad in my opinion. Perhaps being a charter boat caused this, but I was still surprised.
Leaky hatches are a surprisingly common problem in boats. Causes can be poor hatch installation or excessive flex in the surrounding hull either from the boat working through waves or people walking.

If you re-seat the hatches properly (let silicon start to set, then tighten screws) and the hatch is still leaking it is probably due to flex. A solution is to put a bead of 3M 5200 around the outside of the hatch. 5200 is much more adhesive than silicon and seems better at keeping water out. If you use 5200 to seat the hatch, you will never be able to get the hatch off so just use a bead around the outside where it can be cut if need be.

To test a hatch installation, put a hose on it and walk around the outside of the hatch. If it lasts for half an hour, it is probably water tight.

-Scott
smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 00:09   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
If you want to make the way to the helm look like a walk in the park compare it to the 440 flybridge.

As an owner another thing bugs me more.
Wit the seats on the bow the blocks for running a spinnaker are almost under the seats and so you always bend the rope around either the seafence(right word??) or the chair.
Also there is nothing to secure the ropes of the spinnaker, so the two to get it lower are usually on the cleats in the middle of the boat and the other stay on the winches. (I do not know the english terms for these thing correctly, sorry). So additional clutches?? would be great to secure the 4 spinnaker ropes.

So if you want to sail a lot with a spinnaker (i use a 105sqm Parasailor2 and absolutly happy with it) better oder the boat without seats.
A friend of mine moved the blocks to the bowend but lagoon told me this would void my guarantee so i have to wait another 9 months :-)

Also the Davits are an absolute PITA because the Dinghy is flapping around in heavy seas like mad. A friend built a steel construction to hold it down and i am going for the same. Also i will do the same like his installation of a solar panel.
Link to picture: http://www.linocat.de/davits.jpg

Concerning water i had water on the trip to Portugal on the portside escape hatch. This was the first time at a hatch. I cleaned the seal and washed it with freshwater and put a little grease on it. Now it seems to be OK so far.

Another small thing. I had ordered the boat with two Yanmar 3YM30 engines but wanted the bigger 80A alternators instead of the 60A. They agreed but later iw as told that it was not possible.
Last year i heard that it just a little bit tricky work but manageable. So i was dissapointed about that. I might fit one bigegr alternator later this year.

I have 4 batteries instead of 2 but for the beeing kept the original charger. An 2000W inverter (mastervolt) has been installed for an espresso machine (cant live without that). our boat has 2 watertanks but i only relly fill them up for longer trips.

The outside shower on the stern leaks water into the portside engineroom if one forgets to turn the shower off. First time this happened i though i have saltwater in the engine room :-) That was a shock.

A 4kw Radar has been installed instead of the normal sold 2kW. First they said it will not fit but i insisted on it and it fits perfecly.

The bigger winches are a must in my opinion

Water was leaking into the portside stern cabin after a tube glided of the heater due to a loosen screw. (this could have happened everywhere)

There are no blocks for courtesy flags, so they need to be installed afterwards.

Our mainsail got an additional third reef.

The toilets go directly into the holding tanks, so you pump against height. After a while the seals in the Jabsco head allow the rest of "water" into the tube to flow back in the toilet bowl. As long as you flush enough thats not a big issue .
I will replace the seals soon but they are only around 1 year old now.

When manoevering one should really secure the steering wheel. Due to the props beeing stern of the rudder the rudders might get heavily turn around by the waterflow otherwise. Since i only use the engines anyway i always lock the wheel.

Hmmm anything else ?? No nothing pops up in my mind at the moment.
I summed this up for other possible Lagoon buyers and charterdudes.

I have sailed now around 3500NM with my owner-version of the Lagoon. I have been in a heavy storm on the northsea last year. Besides these flaws i absolutly trust the boat to do my traveling.
Would i buy it again ? Yes, i think so, but maybe rather the 410S2.

Regards
Michael
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 07:45   #23

That's a great post Michael! I think that modification to the davits looks great. How much does that dinghy weight with the motor?

It's also very interesting about the forward seats, I've always wanted them as my 380 doesn't have them installed but now I'm not so envious!

Regards
Steve
Old 15-06-2007, 16:26   #24

Flying SW

Redbull: I told you SW was sandbagging us on that speed thing. Do You see that beautiful Gennaker...........I better look over my shoulder more here on the bay so he does not run me over.

SloMo has it right = looking down into saloon entrance from the helm seat is very scary.

Those alternative cockpit tables look great & are much more user friendly.

The alt davits look like a winner too........charter co guy showed me how to tie off (tighten lines to cleats 1st then take up final davit slack) to avoid swinging in bigger seas.............it worked well .....wish davit pulleys were better/bigger.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 23:18   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarren
That's a great post Michael! I think that modification to the davits looks great. How much does that dinghy weight with the motor?

It's also very interesting about the forward seats, I've always wanted them as my 380 doesn't have them installed but now I'm not so envious!

Regards
Steve
His dinghy and engine weighs around 200kg, which is the max for these davits. I think especially when you leave the motor attached it is necessary to keep the dinghy from swinging.
If he allows me i could publish the drawing for the stainless steelwork, even tough it is a no-brainer :-)
It would be metric of course

Michael
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 07:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by db8us
If he allows me i could publish the drawing for the stainless steelwork, even tough it is a no-brainer :-)
That would be great, thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:35   #27

For those interested, I just posted a thorough review of our Lagoon 380 catamaran. Having completed a 15,500 nautical mile voyage I thought it might be helpful to those interested in buying this boat. To read that review, click on the link below:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...iew-36114.html
3Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 08:30   #28

How would you compare an older '98 410 with a younger 06 38S2?
This is my solomon's choice? Any advice and opinions welcome
Stephen P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 19:44   #29

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smm View Post

If you re-seat the hatches properly (let silicon start to set, then tighten screws) and the hatch is still leaking it is probably due to flex. A solution is to put a bead of 3M 5200 around the outside of the hatch. 5200 is much more adhesive than silicon and seems better at keeping water out. If you use 5200 to seat the hatch, you will never be able to get the hatch off so just use a bead around the outside where it can be cut if need be..

-Scott
Don't use silicone under any circumstance on your boats exterior. It isn't appropriate for bedding deck hardware.

And 5200 is an adhesive/sealant so you will be more successful using 4200 or Sika 291. Both are proper bedding sealants which are used in conjunction with mechanical fasteners plus they are moisture-cured. The best technique is to clean all surfaces, goop things up, tighten bolts moderately and let it cure for a day. Then tighten the bolts to compress the mastic 'gasket'.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 01:58   #30

Boat: FP Elba 45
Hello Redbull addict, I too looked long and hard at the Lagoon 380 the main thing that we loved was the starboard owners suite, all the negative things you mentioned I agree with particularly having to walk around the sea side to access the steering station, last December I ordered a Lagoon 400 this design addressed all the things I did not like about the 380 except the price of course, so maybe have a good look at the 400, It for us was the right compromise. We do have a Lagoon 400 thread running on this site with several owners contributing. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, reviews