Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 12:21   #76

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Update.

Well at present we have a Honda 2.3hp which my wife struggles to start so I think there'll be some training required for our new Yam 15! I think it may be fun watching her learn tho.

I've opted for a 35kg Spade and 100m of 1/2" chain as without doubt the 25kg is insufficient. I believe the bigger lagoons all come with a 35kg as standard.

I had planned to fit the TV in the same spot as Paul but hadn't thought of the angle behind the cabinets, great idea and thank you. If anyone is wondering the dims for the space where Paul has fitted his TV it's 1500x680 and that window offers very little view so without doubt the best spot for a TV if you want one.

Quick question: does the 'S' come with storage for the table in the fly bridge roof? Our friends have hull No6 and it doesn't but wondered if later hulls did?

Second question: I am planning to add dimmers to all the saloon and cockpit lights. Can anyone recommend anything better than:
https://store.marinebeam.com/wireles...tching-system/

Third question: do the later 'S' hulls have the 'F' hull underneath? This is visible under the steps up to the helm (are the 'F' steps under the 'S' steps? I'm interested as this could be a site for a drinks fridge. Possibly. I've seen some affordable 500x350mm drawer fridges.

Other projects planned:
Mast head tricolour
Led flood lights over the stern
Refrigeration in the cockpit.... ongoing
Teak decking for cockpit and stern

Cheers,
Dave
Old 25-01-2017, 04:59   #77

Dave did you get any answers? I took this pic of the 450S shown at the boat show">Annapolis boat show. It doesn't look like there is storage for the table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	140124  
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 20:58   #78

No answers yet but from the few 450S's I've seen so far none have the table storage so I'm guessing there is none which makes me wonder why they charge extra for the coffee table when it is smaller than the standard and not in addition to?

The other stuff will have to wait until we go and see ours being built but it doesn't hurt to keep planning which I'm mostly doing just because I'm excited!
Old 26-01-2017, 22:04   #79

Looking at the image there is no roof storage for outside table.
Comparing the picture to my L450F the storage hatch would extend out in the area of the raised helm where there is no place for it. (It is hi Res picture click on the top bar of picture to expand).

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 22:58   #80

I know I don't want 2 large tables but an extra 800euro for something that is smaller doesn't make sense to me.

I have to say I prefer the Helia coffee table than the Lagoon offering. I may consider making my own.
Old 27-01-2017, 01:30   #81

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi Dave, congratulations on your new purchase we also have a Lagoon 450F and have had a lot of great advice from paulinoz. Luckily our boat was highly spec'd up, so we lived onboard for 8 months and found out what we needed.Since then we have upgraded the solar panels to approx 2.5kw with sunpower x21. These feed to a victron 5kva quattro which we can monitor when we're off the boat.We have fitted a 50inch tv in the same window frame as paul.We also fitted a 450cm wide dishwasher next to the sink. It also increased the benchtop space.We removed the large tables and replaced them with 60cm round chrome and teak tables for $60 each that are offset on the mounts.We also have a 3.7m centre consul tender which i think is about as long as you should go. Our next project is to upgrade the batteries from 720amps to 1500amps. We find most days we are fully charged by 8.30am and then at 9.30am we run the dishwasher then if needed the washing machine.We then make water and at 2.00pm we put the hot water on, the solar has enough power on most days.We have 2 fridges and 1 freezer which are factory fitted but they run nearly all night which we are not happy about.As we are live aboards this has made life very comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
steve450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 13:18   #82

Thanks for the Steve, what happened to the Soft Serve Ice-cream machine you where talking about installing on the boat?

I still think a two container slushy machine with with Margarita and Mojito mix in it would be a more useful option, but each to his own.

Old 27-01-2017, 18:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Steve, what happened to the Soft Serve Ice-cream machine you where talking about installing on the boat?
Rumour is that after recent injuries, Steve is calculating the current draw of an onboard electrically operated hospital bed.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:36   #84

We took ours and cut it down. With the extra we will make 2 small round tables .Click image for larger version

Name:	1486035388593.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	140516
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:02   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve450 View Post
Hi Dave, congratulations on your new purchase we also have a Lagoon 450F and have had a lot of great advice from paulinoz. Luckily our boat was highly spec'd up, so we lived onboard for 8 months and found out what we needed.Since then we have upgraded the solar panels to approx 2.5kw with sunpower x21. These feed to a victron 5kva quattro which we can monitor when we're off the boat.We have fitted a 50inch tv in the same window frame as paul.We also fitted a 450cm wide dishwasher next to the sink. It also increased the benchtop space.We removed the large tables and replaced them with 60cm round chrome and teak tables for $60 each that are offset on the mounts.We also have a 3.7m centre consul tender which i think is about as long as you should go. Our next project is to upgrade the batteries from 720amps to 1500amps. We find most days we are fully charged by 8.30am and then at 9.30am we run the dishwasher then if needed the washing machine.We then make water and at 2.00pm we put the hot water on, the solar has enough power on most days.We have 2 fridges and 1 freezer which are factory fitted but they run nearly all night which we are not happy about.As we are live aboards this has made life very comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Wow, I'm doing my solar research and 2.5kw is pretty impressive! I looked up the Sunpower x21's and I think these are the same panel as the Sunforte by Benq. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Where did you fit so many panels? I'd like to build a tower behind the flybridge but not sure I can stretch to that many panels just yet. I may add to it later.

From Lagoon we get the standard batteries (not sure what or how many) plus the 3x extra 140amp batteries in the 'essential pack'. Are these AGM? Guessing the standard batteries are 2x 140amp that's a total of 700amp. If I were to start with 3 panels of 333w would that work out? We know we will be power hungry and are used to running the genset on our current boat but would like to keep it to a minimum obviously as live aboards.

I'm not sure what else to go for at present. Lagoon wants 2000 euro for the inverter but I'm not sure it's worth that for a 2000w, maybe I should get a bigger inverter or even the Victron Quattro as Steve. Then I need to get a solar controller that matches my panels. I guess I'll have approx 1000w of solar, 700amp of batteries and then see how often we have to run the genny for how we live. Do the sunpower panels require a 24v system? I'm struggling to work it all out and I've read pretty much every thread in the 'electrical' subforum. There is a tonne of info in there and I'm getting over whelmed.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:34   #86

"Do the sunpower panels require a 24v system?" NO

The sunpower panel each output approx 55 volts at 6 amps. = 330 watts

Your solar controller takes that in the case of 12 volt dc unit and outputs 12 volts at 27 amps approx.

So for 3 panels you require a solar controller that will handle 75 amp output, Flexmax 80 or similar in my case. Two banks of 3 panels running through 2 x solar controllers.

If i could start again now after 2 years of running this system on L450 full time live aboard.

I would do as Steve did and up inverter to 5kW mine is only 3kW.
Have 9 x 330 watt panels total 3000 watts currently 2000 watts
3 x 80 amp solar controllers
and 1500 amp/hrs of AGMs or equivalent Lithium. Currently 1000 amp/hrs
Fitting them on is another thing but to my mind that would be pretty close perfect.

For us anyway.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:10   #87

Dave the specs I have show 3 x 140amp batteries so with another three you would be 840amp. I think they are not AGM and you have an option to upgrade to gel.

I would skip the lagoon inverter option and go for something more advanced, bigger and with a charger function as well. I don't know if it's possible to remove the 40 and 60 amp chargers from the essentials package as well.

What are people's thoughts about the usefulness of the maneuvering winch in the essentials package and the optional electric winch for the davits?
Old 03-02-2017, 12:10   #88

What is the different between the victron MultiPlus and Quattro inverter / chargers?

It appears that two 3Kva MultiPlus inverter / chargers cost about the same as one 5kva Quattro inverter / charger. Would it be better to go for the two Multipluses?
Old 03-02-2017, 14:00   #89

The Quatro has AC input from: Shore power and from generator.

It automatically switches to best available source to give continuous AC output to the vessel.

So if you are running on Inverter and plug in to shore power it auto switches to shore power through the device, if the boats load exceeds the shore power supply it will augment it with inverter generated AC.

If you now turn on the generator which in our case can supply 50 amps it will switch to generator AC through the device.

So you prioritize the switching to your highest powered AC source, followed by the next AC source and if neither available use the batteries to supply AC generated by inverter.

Old 03-02-2017, 14:16   #90

"What are people's thoughts about the usefulness of the maneuvering winch in the essentials package and the optional electric winch for the davits?"

My L450 has all winches electric, My L421 has only the 1 electric winch for the main Halyard etc. I was very happy with the one winch to haul up the main and some other duties and hand cranked the dinghy up and down as required. Quiet often on anchor I would leave it down to use again because that was easier.

Now I always raise the dinghy when not in use only takes a minute and no effort other than pushing a button.

I would not have chosen all electric, had I been ordering from new prior to the purchase of The L450. Now I would not be without them, trimming or hauling up a sail is just a button push away. Still requires all the same skills as working with a winch handle just none of the effort.

Are they worth it that is for you to decide based on the extra cost, me I say yes.

As a side note I do have one winch handle that is in a pocket up at the helm, I placed there 6 months ago to keep some racing friends happy when on board, did they use not once. It is there as a manual override if ever needed.

The big sheet winches double up as emergency anchor winches if ever required.