Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 02:54   #226

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

John, you definitely win the being organised competition. We have just been putting things in boxes and hoping for the best.

Actually I have now bought 2 mast head lights because I can't find the first one in the confusion of moving from Dubai to the UK and then onto France. When I find it, some lucky sailor will get a bargain.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:10   #227

Guys,
I could do with some help please with the solar / charging install.

I'll attached a drawing with what I have purchased so far but I think it's not quite right still.

What I am missing is a method to keep the genny starting battery topped up. I don't want to be having to remember to isolate the battery every time we want to start / stop it. I think it would be good to charge it from the solar but not have it linked to the house batteries. How are others doing this?

The same goes for the engine cranking batteries. These are not as crucial as they are used less, isolators are inside anyway and it's a matter of habit really but we have destroyed a couple of generator batteries in the past.

I would also like a simple and easy way to view the voltages of these batteries, ideally on the Victron Color Control?

I've attached the Lagoon wiring diagram for anyone that wants it (or it may help in advising me what to do).

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	149132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	149133  

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	149134  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:09   #228

Hey Dave not my list, this is from Steve Tull's blog. Nice knowledge bloke I meet in St Martin, he bought a new 420 in France a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
John, you definitely win the being organised competition. We have just been putting things in boxes and hoping for the best.

Actually I have now bought 2 mast head lights because I can't find the first one in the confusion of moving from Dubai to the UK and then onto France. When I find it, some lucky sailor will get a bargain.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:19   #229

Dave a VSR Voltage Sensitive Relay. Connects the genset battery to the house bank when it's being charged and disconnects when it's not being charged.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...0A-230A-EN.pdf

Not suggesting you go this way but just for your info there is now a version of the GX Control with no screen, it connects up to an iPad.

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...oring/venus-gx
Old 04-06-2017, 19:36   #230

My 11 kw Onan generator battery is charged via a 25 amp Cristech charger. This is the original Lagoon supplied set up.

This is wired of the house 240 volt AC cct so is kept trickle charged by the charger via the AC power auto supplied from the Victron, so can be inverter power, shore power or Generator supplied AC power that is keeping the Gen set battery topped up. Worked OK this way for past 3 years.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 20:30   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
My 11 kw Onan generator battery is charged via a 25 amp Cristech charger. This is the original Lagoon supplied set up.

This is wired of the house 240 volt AC cct so is kept trickle charged by the charger via the AC power auto supplied from the Victron, so can be inverter power, shore power or Generator supplied AC power that is keeping the Gen set battery topped up. Worked OK this way for past 3 years.
That's an option thanks but as I didn't get the genset from Lagoon I'm not even sure if I would have the smaller Cristech charger included? I feel stupid for not checking when I visited! I could use the larger Cristech to trickle charge all 3 cranking batteries tho?

With your setup would the generator battery not be draining the house batteries every time you are on inverter or is it such a small amount that it's insignificant?
Old 04-06-2017, 20:44   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Dave a VSR Voltage Sensitive Relay. Connects the genset battery to the house bank when it's being charged and disconnects when it's not being charged.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...0A-230A-EN.pdf
I can't quite get my head around what the Cyrix does and if it's right for my application. I think it prioritises the starting battery and charges that first but will allow it to drain at the same rate as the house over night which will possibly drop to a lower voltage than i want it to to start the genny?

I've mailed Victron and will post the answer.
Old 04-06-2017, 20:58   #233

Re: Just signed on a new 450s

It connects the battery banks together if it senses one bank at more than 13V. To be at more than 13V the bank must be being charged. It disconnects when the voltage drops to 12.8V and one bank is no longer being charged.

So if the house bank is being charged the house bank will connect to the genset battery and that will get charged as well. I think lagoon may already place these VSR between the starter batteries and house bank.

Quote:
I can't quite get my head around what the Cyrix does and if it's right for my application. I think it prioritises the starting battery and charges that first but will allow it to drain at the same rate as the house over night which will possibly drop to a lower voltage than i want it to to start the genny?

I've mailed Victron and will post the answer.
Old 04-06-2017, 22:10   #234

Quote "With your setup would the generator battery not be draining the house batteries every time you are on inverter or is it such a small amount that it's insignificant?" You answered your own question.

Just turned the charger off and on while it was running off the inverter, it is drawing just under 2 amps @ 12 volts dc at present. Do not know the current state of charger for the Generator battery but was replaced with a new battery 2 months ago and I have started and stooped the generator 3 times today.

I just found out the output voltage from the Onan Gen is adjustable so now instead of my Gen putting out 218 volts AC I have adjusted it up to 238 volt AC close enough to our nominal 240 v used in Australia. Every day there is an opportunity to learn something living on boat. Thanks (Steve450)

When I currently use between 250 and 300 amp/hours per night (2 x freezers and 3 x fridges) the extra 20 amp/hours draw is worth the peace of mind knowing that the Gen battery is always kept topped up and ready to use when required.

Old 05-06-2017, 22:17   #235

Thanks for the feedback guys.

With your input, lots of online research and some very helpful guys who sold me the Victron parts I've come up with what I think is a good system for reliability and plenty of redundancy.

I'm no electrician but with help and my iPad I've put the final drawing together. This is the install we will be getting fitted next week (I hope) and I'll report back on how it goes and if/when things change.

Future improvements will most likely be for more solar and lithium batteries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	149260  
Old 08-06-2017, 18:18   #236

Hi all,

I wanted to give an update on our boat buying saga. We have good news! Somehow, at long last, we have paid for the boat.

I am embarrassed to say that we are quite late (about a month) but Lagoon and our broker have been patient and understanding (an understatement) and as soon as the transport is booked, our Lagoon 450S hull #60 will be leaving the factory for Les Sables D'olonne.

This last month has not been calm seas and smooth sailing, rather, tears and panic (Hayley was the tears and I was the panic) and everything nearly fell to pieces only a couple of days ago but we kept going and got there in the end. I actually thought I might end up owning a life raft but no boat.

Now the good times can roll as our next jobs are all the fun ones, we get to see her change from a hulk of plastic in a yacht parking lot into our home on the water for the next couple of years. There's still lots to do. We have a generator, water maker, solar panels, inverter, underwater lights, anchor and a bbq to install. Then to step the mast, rig the boat, copper coat the hull, load up the boat and see what she weighs (this should be interesting!) as we lower her into the water for the first time.

To say we are excited does not come close as I'm sure everyone mad enough to buy a boat has experienced. They say that the two best days in boat ownership are the first and last, but I just don't find that to be true. I was gutted the day we sold our last boat, I think I may have had a tear in my eye, but we knew it was for the right reasons and that decision 6 months ago is what has got us to this point!

So, to all those sat on their boats with a gin and tonic or a glass of red reading this right now... Cheers. To boat ownership.
Old 08-06-2017, 21:39   #237

Congratulations Dave, I was looking for a reason too have a rum tonight, now I can raise a glass to you success. Would have had a drink even if Hayley was still crying and you where having another panic attack, but its always nice to have a good reason to have a Rum. Cheers from Great Keppel Island on the East coast of Oz.

Old 09-06-2017, 00:27   #238

Quote:

So, to all those sat on their boats with a gin and tonic or a glass of red reading this right now... Cheers. To boat ownership.
Good onya, Mate! Nothin' good ever came easy!

Having a rhum agricole in Noumea, New Caledonia especially in your honour.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:31   #239

Boat: L42

Congratulations! I know how exited you must be. Please keep us informed and take a lot of pictures of the process, or even better video's.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:31   #240

Quote:
Hi all,
They say that the two best days in boat ownership are the first and last, but I just don't find that to be true. .
Congratulations Dave!
As yourself, i disagree on the 2 days of boat ownership. First and last days are the worse. First because of the stress of signing a big check, and last because then you feel miserable! The best days are in between when sailing!

Enjoy your next journey, and keep telling us the story - your way of mixing up really useful technical and project details with fun-drama part is awesome !!
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote