Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2017, 23:00   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: First Time out of the Water 500 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB32 View Post
Hi Mike.
I'm all for doing your own maintenance and learning how things work - especially for the times you have a problem to resolve.

But - for completeness:-
I assume Krabi is like Phuket (though it is a different administration district). You should ensure you have 'permission' from Immigration to work on your own boat.
There have been arrests of people doing maintenance having arrived on a tourist visa - most recently at Ao Po.
There are also anecdotal cases of arrests of people who hold residents visa's -doing oil changes on mopeds and painting fences on the properties they live in.

The logic is that you need a work visa or you should employ nationals to do the work. As even a work visa is specific to the work you do in your employment you can never do general maintenance.

My understanding is that if you arrived on your non-Thai foreign registered boat and are signed on as Master or Crew then you are OK.
I also know that if you fly in and get a tourist visa on arrival, you can go to the Phuket Immigration office (not sure about Krabi), and explain, they will attach a 'paper' to your Passport and you are also OK - and at no charge.

I think the advice here is to ask experienced expats or visit Krabi Immigration and get it from the horses mouth. Winging it - if doing extensive and visible work - is probably not a good plan. Some may see it as their right to do the work you are doing yourself
Thanks, i have a one year retirement visa in thai. I have had it for 8 years. I havent heard of any one complaining about sailors doing there own work, but in thailand one day is different from the next when it comes to some things. But i will keep my eyes and ears open.
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 21:37   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: First Time out of the Water 500 hours

Seals are changed!! He ha! A little issue with getting one of the small bolts off that holds the plates on that cover the big bolts. A little issue getting the seals and race off probably because i was being over careful! One prayer to Neptune she doesnt take on water! Lol!
Thanks to all for the advice and help!
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water