Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 08:34   #16

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings
Re: Am I being unreasonable concerning handover of new 450S

These all sound like Lagoon problems and not yours.
You are being completely reasonable.
It's your money and you will never enjoy that boat unless it meets your original expectations - anything less is unacceptable.
Old 26-07-2016, 08:40   #17

At the very least, you hire a SAM or NAMS surveyor to do a full inspection before accepting that boat. Lightning strikes can be anything from minor to major! And this is a new boat.....use caution here!
Old 26-07-2016, 09:01   #18
Marine Service Provider

If you've already paid in full, you have no practical leverage over the entity or entities that sold you the boat, so a thorough reading of the terms and conditions of the purchase documents is an essential first step, then I suggest that you find and hire a Singapore based attorney experienced in marine transactions so that you have the advantages as well as the disadvantages of Singapore laws, rules and regulations in resolving this matter. Without local help you may be in for a very disturbing experience.

I would also write to Lagoon and solicit their help - they have an interest in seeing to it that their dealers treat customers well.

Good luck

John Mardall
Vetus Group
Old 26-07-2016, 09:28   #19

Mike more than likely you will be a very happy man. The Lagoon 450S is at the top of my list but we are 6 - 12 months away from buying.

As others have suggested read the fine print. Simpson as a broker would rarely own boats, they just arrange the sale and take a commission. I would get clarification from Simpson what the new boat hand over procedure is and how warrantee issues are handled, I'm guessing it's via them.

Your contract says "all systems checked out". Have a look at the exact wording but I can't see how all systems are checked out unless they test all systems as the designed to be used and that would involve taking it for a motor (especially given one engine was damaged) and a sail.

Email me at john_r_holbrook@yahoo.com and I will give you Al's email address. It would be interesting to hear from other Lagoon owners at One15 what the Simpson handover process in for a new boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-07-2016, 09:45   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Message sent John, I think they are using Singapore's strict rules as an excuse to not give a proper hand over. However from the research I have done they can hire an adjent and obtain the proper paperwork. I think if I was dealing with the local Simpson Marine dealer of Singapore. The handover would not have been a issue but because they are coming in from Phuket they are out of their comfort zone. But I am assuming.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-07-2016, 09:56   #21

If you knew about the lightning strike before buying, I retract my former comment.

Since you were aware of the lighting strike, the specific contract language is what counts.

If they refuse to pay for a survey, you should pay to get one and to have someone go thru the electronics thoroughly.
Old 26-07-2016, 10:17   #22

Mike I lived at One15 for a few years and my boat was not Singapore licensed and I used to go out. From memory it was faxing in a form and keeping your AIS on. Things may have changed but Al can tell you more.

The broker in Phuket is probably trying to save an airfare and hotel accommodation. Google Simpsons mission statement and send him a copy👍

Old 26-07-2016, 10:26   #23

Thanks John I sent you email. Waiting for Al's contact from you. I have Goggle everything and cannot seem to come up with small vessel surveyor in Singapore has to be a ton of them.. hmmm.

Old 26-07-2016, 10:28   #24

Haha John I just got a email from a John Holbrook salt Lake city Utah. Wrong email this is my email mlsinvest@gmail.com

Old 26-07-2016, 10:30   #25

Boat: Pearson 39 1987

Don't want to parrot others but you bought a new boat that is what you should get. A close friend purchased new cat from another manufacturer. The boat was damaged before delivery but they "would take care of everything". Case is still being litigated. Run, don't walk from this problem. My .02.
Old 26-07-2016, 10:47   #26

I have done my research on Lagoon Corp a good Company. I believe that Mike Simpson is a fair person. I have paid 100% for the boat. The reason I posted here was to understand what is reasonable to expect on a new 450 handover and what I might do to cover myself with a surveyor, which I am struggling to find. All of the negative post don't help. If I made a mistake then I will have to be responsible for it, if the boat has further damage then yes it will probably be a long legal battle. But I have it in writing from them. But it is not like there isn't a thousand boats out there that haven't had lighting strikes. I am a instrument rated pilot that has flown several aircraft that have had lighting strikes there radios and electronics where replaced or repaired and they are still in the sky. The negative post do more harm then good.

Old 26-07-2016, 10:51   #27

Mike I've email Al cc yourself.

Old 26-07-2016, 10:54   #28

Mike I agree the -ve stuff doesn't help. A decent surveyor who can identify problems now and a firm hand with Simpson should see you right. Lots of boats out there have been struck by lightening and are fine.

Old 26-07-2016, 11:05   #29

Boat: Pearson 39 1987

Sorry if you saw my post as negative. You asked about reasonableness. In my book if I am buying a new product, especially a boat I would be very concerned about their willingness to assist already. They havent even handed the boat off yet and are balking on things where they should be moving mountains for you. I'm a litigator and sorry again for my attitude but I have represented way too many folks who believed that others who have taken their money will do the right thing. You are not getting what you paid for IMHO, but if you are satisfied that is what counts. You asked for opinions and that is what you have gotten. If you only wanted positive replies you should have said so and not wasted many people's time here who are only trying to share experiences.
Old 26-07-2016, 12:06   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm a Commercial, instrument rated pilot too, but boats ain't airplanes. there can be serious, major structural damage to a boat from a strike, or not. Got a feeling once it's yours, it's yours.
Any damage you find after you buy it, will likely be up to you to pay to have fixed.
In their defense, who is to say she wasn't struck again, after the hand over?

I have never bought a new boat, but if I ever do it will be surveyed, just like a used boat. That should be better for both parties, it gives a good, clean bill of health, right at the handover time, back to airplanes, just like an annual should.
Closed Thread