Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 18:43   #16
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40
Re: Willing to work for experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHeald View Post
If you had ever crossed the gulf stream, you would know that it doesn't really start until you are at least 5 to 10 miles from shore.

The Gulf Stream
Me dinks Bermuda is further than 10- 20 miles...could be mistaken, let me google it so I can be an internet expert too.

Have you read my post? Da part where it says disclaimer? Its a fairly big word, you may want to google it also.

Point is, to get to Bermuda, you have to cross it. That's all. Currents are currents, we got em up here too BIG ONES
Old 30-09-2016, 05:50   #17
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40
Re: Willing to work for experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHeald View Post
Hi Natalie,

My friend and I just bought a 39 foot sloop in Greenport N.Y. The yard is currently getting it ready to sail south. We are both experienced sailors, but an extra hand or 2 would let us sail non stop to the Dominican Republic. We expect to leave sometime in October, and we expect the trip to take about 3 weeks. Let me know if you're interested.
I'm not adding fuel to the fire, ( well yes I am) , but if I am not mistaken, is not your time frame going to put you smack dab at the end of Atlantic hurricane season? The point was Bermuda is farther, but safer, it would seem to me, but then I'm not an expert.

I think you posted here, looking for crew because you want help in your journey and when others try, you get defensive.

So I will chime out now. Wish you luck in you trip, whether crossing the Gulf Stream or sailing head on into a hurricane....be safe.

Tags
enc