Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 06:20   #1

Willing to work for experience

East coast native, looking to learn my way around a boat. With an adventurous spirit and easy-going nature, I am eager to learn and enjoy a challenge. I can think on my feet, am independent, know my way around a kitchen, and have a variety of skills acquired while traveling, living on the road and camping. I'm up for anything - message me if you're in need of an extra hand!
Old 05-09-2016, 19:09   #2

Re: Willing to work for experience

I'm recruiting crew for the ARC Bahamas Rally in November to cruise from Portsmouth, VA to Marsh Harbour Abacos, Bahamas. Will be sailing a well equipped 50 foot, Jeanneau Sailboat. All boat and provisioning costs are covered. You would need to cover any travel related costs to Virginia and from the Bahamas.
Let me know if you are interested.

John
Old 19-09-2016, 16:20   #3

Boat: Ericson 39

Hi Natalie,

My friend and I just bought a 39 foot sloop in Greenport N.Y. The yard is currently getting it ready to sail south. We are both experienced sailors, but an extra hand or 2 would let us sail non stop to the Dominican Republic. We expect to leave sometime in October, and we expect the trip to take about 3 weeks. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 19-09-2016, 16:31   #4
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

I had one contact via pm, all gung ho, ready to go.then...none further???

Another blo and go ad.

go figger.

Old 20-09-2016, 06:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Natalie, and John.

Old 20-09-2016, 16:53   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

Hello Natalie
I am 54 single Male with 49 ft well equipped Hylas 49 in Florida. Planning on leaving around November first from West Palm Beach. I will be gone 6 months and hope to end up in Granada or Trinidad. Do you have any interest in something like this? Was going with girlfriend and we just broke up, not looking for relationship, just someone to have fun with, and split the work. If you have an interest email me here or at davej1462 at gmail.com.
Thanks and best of luck to you
Dave
Old 20-09-2016, 17:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHeald View Post
Hi Natalie,

My friend and I just bought a 39 foot sloop in Greenport N.Y. The yard is currently getting it ready to sail south. We are both experienced sailors, but an extra hand or 2 would let us sail non stop to the Dominican Republic. We expect to leave sometime in October, and we expect the trip to take about 3 weeks. Let me know if you're interested.
You probably want to stop in Bermuda...rest and re provision... You 2 have never sailed this boat and you're intending to step aboard and sail 1500 miles? in October? Have either of you made the journey?
Old 21-09-2016, 15:47   #8

Boat: IP 31' sloop

Hi, I am planning a trip from Destin Fl to Grand Cayman in december 2016. I have a 31'
Island Packet. My son ( about 40ish) and I are wanting to have an adventurious trip. Interested?
Old 22-09-2016, 04:37   #9

Why would we sail to Bermuda when we can hug the coast to Florida in case we run into problems?
Old 22-09-2016, 05:20   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHeald View Post
Why would we sail to Bermuda when we can hug the coast to Florida in case we run into problems?
Gulf Stream?

(disclaimer. not an east coaster)
Old 22-09-2016, 18:35   #11

Boat: FP Mahe 36 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTilton View Post
I'm recruiting crew for the ARC Bahamas Rally in November to cruise from Portsmouth, VA to Marsh Harbour Abacos, Bahamas. Will be sailing a well equipped 50 foot, Jeanneau Sailboat. All boat and provisioning costs are covered. You would need to cover any travel related costs to Virginia and from the Bahamas.

John
Hello Mr Tilton I have an interest in your trip to the Bahamas What information do you need from me for evaluation. I live in Severn MD and own a boat on the Chesapeake. Can we Talk? KEN KAZ 3363079217
kenkaz1@verizon.net thank you KJ
Old 25-09-2016, 17:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTilton View Post

John
Hello John,

Just came across your post. If you are still looking for crew, I would definitely be interested in talking...I'm 29, currently crew on a J130 out of Marblehead, MA. I've been sailing for about 5 years now in Boston on Mercuries and Rhodes 19 as well. I'm looking to gain cruising experience, willing to help out any way I can. My goal is to have my own cruiser one day and circumnavigate. Currently an EMT in 911 system. Licensed pilot. PM me or reply if you'd be interested in talking and I'll pass along my contact info.

Regards,
Jason
Old 26-09-2016, 10:25   #13

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

ur2slo, you echo my thoughts exactly. I have seen a couple K-40s here in the NW and really like their looks. Great boats, where are you? If I could sell my K-32 I might be interested in a K-40. I really would like more room. Sunseeker
Old 27-09-2016, 06:11   #14
cruiser

Hi Sunseeker,
I'm in Pa area. Getting things spiffed up, as always! Yes good boat, just about right size for me and single handing. But I was at the Port Townsend Boat show recently and got to look over a beautiful K-43 that the proud owners ( John? & his gracious wife) let me aboard.

As with airplanes, boats come in a myriad of designs, its just what works for me and the classics need to be kept around. Too many are ending up as toothpicks because no one want to work on them anymore.

I'll be out an about now that tourist tommies are gone, winter sailing is some of the best weather...........and worst!

You will have to stop by and say hi if you get in area, jus Pm.

happy days..........
Old 29-09-2016, 17:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur2slo View Post
Gulf Stream?

(disclaimer. not an east coaster)
Have you ever sailed in the gulf stream? First of all, from Long Island to south of Virginia Beach, the current is actually running south. South of there, the Gulf stream has little affect near shore, until south of Jacksonville FL. Furthermore, having sailed south from Jupiter FL, to Miami, in a 26' sloop, we were hitting 8 to 9 knots by staying around a mile from shore. If you had ever crossed the gulf stream, you would know that it doesn't really start until you are at least 5 to 10 miles from shore.

The Gulf Stream

Tags
enc