Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How much is reasonable to pay for shared expenses?
Less than $10 per day 0 0%
$10-$20 per day 6 66.67%
$20-$30 per day 2 22.22%
$30-$40 per day 1 11.11%
$40-$50 per day 0 0%
more than $50 per day 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 06:29   #1

Boat: East Orient 32
Poll

Ok, here is the poll
Old 27-11-2008, 06:36   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Depends on what you will eat, and drink. Stay in marinas, and the list can go on & on. All of these choices are viable, but depends on the style of travelling....i2f
Old 27-11-2008, 07:14   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Great answer Imagine.

Why do I get the feeling Seagypsywoman is asking us to intervene in a domestic discussion?

That poor guy is toast.
Old 27-11-2008, 07:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If I were to agree to share boat expenses, I expect that my contribution would be calculated as a percentage of: Consumables (fuel, food, etc) + Direct Disbursements (cruising permit, dockage, etc).

Were I 1/2 of the crew, I’d expect my contribution to be 50%, as above.

Beyond the above contributions, I’d expect to pay all of my own direct expenses (liquor, restaurants, etc).

Old 27-11-2008, 07:30   #5

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Totally depends on what the total expense is.... a percent is far more reasonable than a set dollar figure.

I have guest share expenses often. Some time that amounts to a few dollars a day to well over a hundred dollars a day. Expenses on the hook are totally different than expenses at a slip and slips vary greatly from basic to luxury accommodations. Fixed dollar amounts would be ridiculous with such variations possible.

Also what expensed are being shared? Just food? or Trip expenses? or Total Expenses? Are you paying part of the use of vessel or is that a freebie? It isn't to the owner paying for it and maintaining it.

When I did joint charters with a couple of friends we split everything down the middle except our air travel and off boat expenses. When we had dinner off the boat we typically each paid for a meal every other time but gifts and trinkets were always personal expenses.

Basically women should always pay more and the gentleman should get the credit for being so nice as to allow them on board... LOL just kidding... maybe?
Old 27-11-2008, 07:46   #6

Boat: East Orient 32
Thanks for your input everyone. I guess there is no simple answer.
Old 27-11-2008, 07:54   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Be aware that in some places in the world, sharing any money for anything other than food and harbour fees will lead to tax men considering it as a business, and the next question will be insurance for a commercial craft, and coding as a commercial craft.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:25   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
From 46 CFR 70.10-1, Definitions

Consideration means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.

So essentially, that person can pay for actual expenses but cannot pay any more compensation than that...you cannot turn it into a cruise where you make a profit. In order for you to do that you must be licensed.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:49   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Yacht Provided, BYOB...

We provide the yacht. Except when racing--when an owner is expected to front the crew's board--or invited guests, whom the owner is hosting, crew nornally share expenses--except booze--equally. As for booze, we ask everyone to bring their own. Big drinkers normally show up with a couple of cases of beer or wine, light drinkers much less, and the consumption rates seems to match. Generally, except for a beer or glass of wine before or with dinner, we do not allow drinking underway due to the adverse effect on balance and alertness, which is a safety issue. Menus and dietary needs are generally discussed and settled on in advance of a passage.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 27-11-2008, 17:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If I were to agree to share boat expenses, I expect that my contribution would be calculated as a percentage of: Consumables (fuel, food, etc) + Direct Disbursements (cruising permit, dockage, etc).

Were I 1/2 of the crew, I’d expect my contribution to be 50%, as above.

Beyond the above contributions, I’d expect to pay all of my own direct expenses (liquor, restaurants, etc).
I'm with Gord except for booze on board which should be proportional to food and everything else. It would be hard to keep separate stores for booze. But because booze can be a large proportion of the cost it needs to be settled how it is handled.

Personal items and all shore expenses are individual. This includes restaurants which can be "dutch" or take turns.

A questionable amount is boat maintenance. My philosophy here is that for some reason or another I need/want crew on board. Presumably it is for company, watch keeping and boat handling. In this case the person on board is bringing value so that's their share to the boat. My share is taking care of boat costs.

If you know very accurately your expenses you can reduce it to a dollars per day amount. I didn't take the poll because dollars per day in Miami is vastly different than dollars per day in the South Pacific.
Old 28-11-2008, 05:59   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When crew is helping me get anywhere. They pay for nothing at all. Except for their liquor, persdonal purchas such as trinkets, their way to, and from the boat. I feed them well, and they get a cabin. I am seeking their help. Therefore I feel it wrong to take payment for such things as marinas, food, fuel, and other items I feel are needed to get my boat to it's destination.

In return they have the chance to get some open ocean sailing, navigation, and experience what it is like to do more than a day sail. In my mind this is a win win situation for all of us......i2f

Tags
poll