Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 17:13   #1

Looking for a cruise Sept 10/11 Toronto area

Hi there, my name is Justin, I'm a 35 yr from Toronto Ontario, I'm taking a couple of course this winter through IYT, however I learn alittle better hands on rather then through a book. I'm wondering if anybody would be willing to give me a lesson on navigation while sailing on there boat this weekend. I'm familiar with sailing as I've completed my bronze level 5, raced in reggata's as a teenager and sailed keel boats off and on over the last few years. I can travel as far east as pickering/oshawa. And west to 50 point.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 03:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Looking for a cruise Sept 10/11 Toronto area

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Justin.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:15   #3

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

There are plenty of yacht clubs along the Golden Horseshoe coast and in Toronto proper. I would suggest you just walk in and start talking to the members. Most of them also have bulletin boards where you can post. This is of course if nobody replies to your post. I would love to entertain you on board however my boat is up in Georgian Bay.

All the best.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:21   #4

Hey, thanks for the reply mottseng. And your absolutely right! There are tons of yacht clubs around. And I'm sure if I poke my head around I can find a willing participate. I grew up at the yacht clubs, helping members fix the boats and rigging. Traveling around different clubs for regattas'. I'd thought with social media these days this would be a great option. What absolutely shocks me, especially with the sailing school registration so low, and I constantly hear older members saying sailing is dying and sailing membership is down, that out of 300 visits so far to my post, one person has replied. No wonder its dying... Good lesson for the guy who posted the question if its possible to crew. And I've got experience.

I guess I have the wrong body parts.... Crazy eh!
Old 10-09-2016, 17:56   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

Relax. Body parts aside, you were looking for someone in a very specific geographical area in a very specific time frame, on a forum that has a limited number of members in that area.

I posted a crew available (Great Lakes) message in the spring, exchanged messages with a couple of people, and nothing came of it. People have good reason for wanting to find compatible crew; I'm open in principle to whatever is offered, but will then want to assess compatibility myself.

My plan is to continue to make contacts by whatever means are available, including re-posting here next spring. It sounds like you already have some good contact locations in your area - keep working them. You just have to meet the right one.

Tags
cruise