Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 18:22   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Looking 4 Crew San Diego To Hawaii

No disagreement, my only issue is the OP asking for crew and posting "it's safe, it isn't hurricane season because the Pacific gets typhoons from September to April" when there is an eastern Pacific hurricane season and NOAA considers the season for the eastern north Pacific to start May 15. Couple that with a pool of water from California to Panama to Hawaii that is 1-2 degrees C above seasonal averages (as of 4/4/16) and you have an invitation to an early season.

No reason not to go, from California to Hawaii you are generally above the track (as you have cited), just feel that potential crew reading this forum should be informed as to risk/options.
Old 05-04-2016, 18:38   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No disagreement here, either. The NE Pacific hurricane season runs from May through September, but May and June are generally low-risk. Every year it's a crapshoot, and even mild El Nino conditions can make things more extreme.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 05-04-2016, 19:08   #18

I am not set on a absolute date weather forecasting will be considered and the pacific cup starts july 11 I have been told by many this is the best time of year to go. its the fear mongers that stay in port and never cruise
Old 05-04-2016, 20:23   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've been on the Pacific Cup board of directors, and there are four main factors that determine the July start date and time:
1) Our guess as to the state of the Pacific High -- how soon is it going to move north and focus?
2) The tides (currents) at the Golden Gate Bridge -- we like a slack, or at least not extreme current for the start.
3) The phase of the moon -- it's nice to have a well-lit moon in the sky.
4) Participants and families summer vacation schedule.

These often conflict, and the race starts are staggered over five days or a week (depending on the mix of boats), so we do the best we can.

I guess my point is that the race start date selection may not use the same priorities as you would choose.

Finally, unless the hurricane season was getting off to a noticeably early and dangerous start, I would have no qualms about leaving for Hawaii in June or mid-July. In June you may have to sail further south, or do some serious motoring (because of the Pacific High). It's a great trip and I highly recommend it.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 12-04-2016, 23:17   #20

Still looking for more crew just purchased a SSB and AIS transceiver working on her each day sailing 2 to 3 times a week satellite system is now up and going unlimited texting for crew.
Old 26-04-2016, 19:58   #21

Still looking for one or two more crew cabin available for a couple planning on departing june 1 to june 15
Old 27-04-2016, 07:15   #22

Are you looking for experienced crew? My girlfriend and I aren't experienced unfortunately but we both are interested in sailing and plan to buy a boat within the next few years. We are in our mid twenties and are able bodied people who learn quickly.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-05-2016, 21:07   #23

Boat: Caliber 40

Is this a non-stop trip from Cape Flattery to Hawaii?

What is the minimum and maximum crew you will take?

What is your sail inventory?
Old 05-05-2016, 21:56   #24

Hello planning on 4 total on board 5 would push it. 8 sails 105 and 130 genoa high wind inter stay sail, storm stay sail. 2 mains one with 3 reafs one with 2 and 2 spinnakers.
Old 09-05-2016, 15:16   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainCouch

Hello sailing crew of SVPerserverance.

I am writing you to express my interest in the sail from San Diego to Hawaii. If you still need more crew then I would be glad to discuss this opportunity more.

Best Regards,

CaptainCouch
jaredcouch@hotmail.com
254-426-6897
Old 22-05-2016, 16:22   #26

we are two on board needing one more crew or a couple we had one couple have family emergency and another person that was non-compatible looking for people that don't get sea sick lol boat is ready almost all provisions on board looking to leave beginning of june thanks
Old 24-05-2016, 19:46   #27

Hi,

Do you still need crew member? Have you started your trip?

Cheers
Old 25-05-2016, 18:48   #28

Hi,

I am interested. tmhavana@gmail.com

I am currently living in Japan, Osaka. Very good swimmer, love to bodysurfing (last time in Mentawai), carpentry, electrical, plumbing, mechanic skills. I retire as Network Engineer, now just sailing on a Hobie Cat. I know is not much experience, but i am very easy going. Born in Rio, Brasil, educated in the US, and lived there for 25 years, now in Japan. Love here but wife got tire see me in the house now she want me to go away. kkkkkkkkk Serious!!!! kkkkkk - "Go take a trip, come back next year or 2...

Cheers!!!
Old 30-05-2016, 20:03   #29

Boat: Other Peoples Boats :0)

Hey SVPerserverance~
Just washed the deck and bilges of a Hunter 42 and would love to join you. I am very easy going, helpful and looking for blue water! Calendar opened up and I am ready~
I get sick of land~not sick at sea :0)
50three3194146
Old 14-06-2016, 21:31   #30

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Hi SV Perserverance,
Would appreciate if you contact me when you are relaxing in Hawaii. We also have a Hunter Passage 42 and I'm considering solo Hawaii in June 2018 after our next haul out. We've also been upgrading systems. Would like to learn about your trip prep, track route, time, and trip experiences.

Have an awesome sail and may all the winds be in your favor.

Tags
crew, hawaii