Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 14:10   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Crossing the North Atlantic in a Kadey Krogen 42’ Trawler this Summer

I am seeking crew for a transatlantic crossing from Gloucester, Massachusetts, to Iceland in July 2014 in Dauntless, a 1988 Kadey Krogen 42’ trawler.

Dauntless came up the coast from Florida in spring 2013, spent the summer in New England and Nova Scotia, and winter in the Bahamas and Florida. We are heading north again as you read this and will be in New Jersey during May and June 2014, as we prepare her for the transatlantic crossing in July. About half the time I have been single-handing her and have put more than 7000 nm and 1100 hours on her in the last 12 months.

We will be depart from Gloucester, Mass, in late June 2014, heading for Iceland by mid-July, then departing Iceland about 22 July for the Faeroes, the Shetlands and Bergen, Norway. Anticipated route is stopping at Halifax and St. John’s Newfoundland, but this will depend on weather and currents. Longest leg could be from Gloucester to Iceland, about 2300 nm. We’ll then spend the rest of August meandering down the coasts of Norway, Denmark and Germany, arriving in the Netherlands by late September, where we will winter over.

Since fall 2013, I have had two crew mates who were with me for extended periods of time. Here are some of the qualities that they had, which I am seeking in new crewmates:

• They took initiative with routine boat chores and duties without always having to be asked. When the boat needed cleaning, they cleaned. When windows needed wiping they wiped. If someone needed to sleep in the pilot house to keep watch during an anchorage, they did so.

• They listened and followed my directions, particular to this boat. They did not lecture me on their own experience, or “yes” me and then do what they wanted. They listened to what I wanted, asked clarifying questions, and then matched what I asked for.

• They were fine with me doing most of the cooking, and fine with preparing their own food when needed. The simple fact is, I am a good cook and usually don’t like other’s cooking, so instead of complaining about it, I do most of the cooking. On the few days, I didn’t feel like it, I could say, “We are both on our own for food today,” and they would make themselves food.

• They shared expenses and were transparent about it. We split the costs of food and supplies, while I paid for marinas and all other boat-related expenses. They did not act as if they were entitled.

• They were drama-free and took nothing personally. On a boat, we sometimes have to communicate quickly and to the point, and don’t have time to choose our words carefully. Both of these crewmates understood this, responded to the need underlying the communication, and didn’t pout if things didn’t go their way. They understood the stress that the skipper is under, and acted maturely and appropriately.

Other criteria I value or actively seeking for those particular trip:

Ability to learn and be open-minded, over experience. I prefer an open-minded person who does not think they know it all. That could mean a person with less experience on boats, it could mean a younger person—but the key is being open-minded and willing to learn and consider new ways of doing things.

Given my destination and cruising plans, a European and/or a Norwegian, Danish or Dutch speaker would be extra welcome.

You must have the time to do at least the first part, July to mid-August (USA to Norway) or second part mid- August and September of this trip, the money to cover your transportation and any personal or special needs.

You may want to also check out my blog, Dauntless at Sea | Voyages of a Kadey Krogen 42
Old 21-04-2014, 18:17   #2

Re: Crossing the North Atlantic in a Kadey Krogen 42’ Trawler this Summer

Sent you a pm. Found a crew yet?
Old 24-04-2014, 19:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
I am seeking crew for a transatlantic crossing from Gloucester, Massachusetts, to Iceland in July 2014 in Dauntless, a 1988 Kadey Krogen 42’ trawler.

Dauntless came up the coast from Florida in spring 2013, spent the summer in New England and Nova Scotia, and winter in the Bahamas and Florida. We are heading north again as you read this and will be in New Jersey during May and June 2014, as we prepare her for the transatlantic crossing in July. About half the time I have been single-handing her and have put more than 7000 nm and 1100 hours on her in the last 12 months.

We will be depart from Gloucester, Mass, in late June 2014, heading for Iceland by mid-July, then departing Iceland about 22 July for the Faeroes, the Shetlands and Bergen, Norway. Anticipated route is stopping at Halifax and St. John’s Newfoundland, but this will depend on weather and currents. Longest leg could be from Gloucester to Iceland, about 2300 nm. We’ll then spend the rest of August meandering down the coasts of Norway, Denmark and Germany, arriving in the Netherlands by late September, where we will winter over.

Since fall 2013, I have had two crew mates who were with me for extended periods of time. Here are some of the qualities that they had, which I am seeking in new crewmates:

• They took initiative with routine boat chores and duties without always having to be asked. When the boat needed cleaning, they cleaned. When windows needed wiping they wiped. If someone needed to sleep in the pilot house to keep watch during an anchorage, they did so.

• They listened and followed my directions, particular to this boat. They did not lecture me on their own experience, or “yes” me and then do what they wanted. They listened to what I wanted, asked clarifying questions, and then matched what I asked for.

• They were fine with me doing most of the cooking, and fine with preparing their own food when needed. The simple fact is, I am a good cook and usually don’t like other’s cooking, so instead of complaining about it, I do most of the cooking. On the few days, I didn’t feel like it, I could say, “We are both on our own for food today,” and they would make themselves food.

• They shared expenses and were transparent about it. We split the costs of food and supplies, while I paid for marinas and all other boat-related expenses. They did not act as if they were entitled.

• They were drama-free and took nothing personally. On a boat, we sometimes have to communicate quickly and to the point, and don’t have time to choose our words carefully. Both of these crewmates understood this, responded to the need underlying the communication, and didn’t pout if things didn’t go their way. They understood the stress that the skipper is under, and acted maturely and appropriately.

Other criteria I value or actively seeking for those particular trip:

Ability to learn and be open-minded, over experience. I prefer an open-minded person who does not think they know it all. That could mean a person with less experience on boats, it could mean a younger person—but the key is being open-minded and willing to learn and consider new ways of doing things.

Given my destination and cruising plans, a European and/or a Norwegian, Danish or Dutch speaker would be extra welcome.

You must have the time to do at least the first part, July to mid-August (USA to Norway) or second part mid- August and September of this trip, the money to cover your transportation and any personal or special needs.

You may want to also check out my blog, Dauntless at Sea | Voyages of a Kadey Krogen 42
Hi Mr........ We are two friends w a lot of experience....I am from Iceland,and my friend is from Norwegia,,,,,,, We have a long experians of the see here in the north,and have been fishing ,from,,,,, the coast of S Afrika ,,,in the south,,,to the north of Svalbard......If you want a god sailors we are the one and we can tell a lot of storis on a long times in the night ,,,,,,,we know this aria ,,,Iceland,,,,,Norvega wery well.......one is a captain,w a l exp,,and a eng skills,,,and the other is w a long exp as a ch eng as w as a capt on small boats around Iceland and Norwega.......

If u havent found your crew pls contkt...

Saevar on sigsaevar@gmalil.com
mobil +4792537270

hallo here is the story
We are two friends.... my name is Saevar sig and I am from Iceland anf my friends name is Helgi Jensen,and he is from Norvega;;;;;;;;

Helgi is a xapt w a long exp.....and a w good engineer to...and have been working w a allkind of fishing here all his live,,,and he is a w speciale man,,,,but havent been much out,,,,,,,
My name is Saevar,and I am from Iceland and and I have been working on the see longer than I want to rember heheh......I am a enginer and have been a skipper on boats to.....
If you are looking f a good company,,,,over the N atlantic ,,,,,a crew that know what is to give up ,,,,,,pls be free to contackt ....

Have a nice day
B regards....

Saevar Sig....
Old 30-04-2014, 20:28   #4

Hello, I am from Pennsylvania not far from Massachusetts. I am interested in taking part of your sailing expedition. I would like to get to europe. My final destination is spain. But anywhere remotely close is good enough for me. Its all about the journey and Im game for seeing all of norway and Iceland. I am a 26 year male, I can follow directions. Facing the elements comes natural to me. I am a quick learner and pretty easy to get along with. Please feel free to message me back with any questions

Thanks

Stacey Patrick

Tags
trawler