Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 08:17   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
kadey Krogen 120V boat

I have a Kadey Krogen 42, it's a 110v boat with two 110 circuits for my two A/C units. I have an inverter/charger on one circuit and a charger for the house bank on the other circuit. This second charger I generally don't use.

we're coming to Europe this summer and the boat will be in 220v land for the foreseeable future.

My questions:
  1. Can I just get one isolation transformer and connect it to either the inverter/charger or just the charger?
  2. Can I use a non isolation transformer (they're much cheaper)?
  3. I don't want to pay $3,000 for a big isolation transformer,
  4. I could live without the ACs, at least for the first year and am willing to bet small 240v appliances, therefore the idea to get one transformer for the charger. Good? bad, ugly?

Also the water heater is 110v, everything else is 12v, including fridge/freezer, tv is both.

THe more I look at this the more is seems that I can get by relatively cost effectively by just adding one 5000 watt transformer that would power my circuit 1, which has on it the one charger (actually two, connected to the engine start, the house bank and the gen strat),
the water heater and One AC unit.

By doing that, I should be able to even run the ac unit.

Richard
m/v Dauntless
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:43   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: kadey Krogen 120V boat

Richard:

US 220V has two hots, a neutral and a ground. Hot to hot produces 220V and hot to neutral produces 110V. Boats are usually wired with two 110V busses each fed from one of the hots. If you have 220V appliances (and many boats have none) they are fed from the two hots.

European 220V has a hot a neutral and a ground. There is no way to get 110V. So you need a transformer if you want 110V.

The simplest way is to get a transformer with a 220V primary coil and a 220V secondary coil with a center tap. That then gives you the two hots, neutral and ground that you need to tie into your US boat system. It will be seamless and it will act just like you are in the US. How much power you can draw depends on the size of the transformer. Be sure to put a breaker sized for the transformer rating on the input.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:13   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Thanks David,

Nice to see you here too.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:59   #4

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

You also need to check what frequencies your charger etc can accept. As Europe runs on 50hz here in the us it's 60 hz.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Hmmmm

I have spent some time in Europe and was in Rome in Feb. There are simple wall adapters for household appliances. You may want to research some more. We had no problems running electronics, etc in Rome or other countries we have visited over the years
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:24   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

We have a magic bullet food processor and a hand blender from the US. We're in France. After a drunken dare I found this to be interesting.

AC motors run 2x as fast if going US -> EU/UK
Hair dryers run 2x as hot if going US ->EU/UK

Our magic bullet takes half the time to shred food, it also sounds like a dying cat. The hair dryer shoots a flame out the nozzle, so don't do that.

Get a transformer. Get 2, it will eventually break if you spend any amount of time in the Med.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:28   #7

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

It depends on the equipment your trying to run, many laptop power supplies and USB chargers (cell chargers Ipad etc) will run on a wide range of voltages at 50-60hz. So for these not a real issue. It's the installed equipment and small appliances that can cause trouble.
Old 11-04-2014, 13:04   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
It depends on the equipment your trying to run, many laptop power supplies and USB chargers (cell chargers Ipad etc) will run on a wide range of voltages at 50-60hz. So for these not a real issue. It's the installed equipment and small appliances that can cause trouble.
Great post! That explains why the stuff worked.

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 18:10   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
I have a Kadey Krogen 42, it's a 110v boat with two 110 circuits for my two A/C units. I have an inverter/charger on one circuit and a charger for the house bank on the other circuit. This second charger I generally don't use.

we're coming to Europe this summer and the boat will be in 220v land for the foreseeable future.

My questions:
  1. Can I just get one isolation transformer and connect it to either the inverter/charger or just the charger?
  2. Can I use a non isolation transformer (they're much cheaper)?
  3. I don't want to pay $3,000 for a big isolation transformer,
  4. I could live without the ACs, at least for the first year and am willing to bet small 240v appliances, therefore the idea to get one transformer for the charger. Good? bad, ugly?

Also the water heater is 110v, everything else is 12v, including fridge/freezer, tv is both.

THe more I look at this the more is seems that I can get by relatively cost effectively by just adding one 5000 watt transformer that would power my circuit 1, which has on it the one charger (actually two, connected to the engine start, the house bank and the gen strat),
the water heater and One AC unit.

By doing that, I should be able to even run the ac unit.

Richard
m/v Dauntless

ans
1. Yes
2. yes an Auto transformer will work just as well.
3. Buy a toroidal traffo and a box lol. ( or see 2)
4. ymmv

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk