Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 23:00   #1

Boat: Searle 26
Captain and/or Crew wanting ASA cert: Miami to Panama 18Feb +/- a few days

Hi there,
For a captain:
I am looking for a Captain - I have a Hunter 40.5 in Miami, and I want to learn to sail it whilst transiting to Panama. I am looking to do the trip in 3 weeks from around the 18 Feb.
I am solo, so feel free to throw me offers. I am completely open to your partners/friends/family/students coming on the trip to minimize instruction fee to me (as long as it means I still end up with quality education!). I have no experience sailing, so I need to learn everything. I am definitely a hard working quick learner.
For a learner/crew wanting ASA certification:
If you are reading this and want to learn to sail, message me and we can split the cost of an ASA instructor - that way we end up with some certifications at the end of an awesome 3 week sailing journey! Contact through this thread / PM / joel_erhard at hotmail dot com
Cheers and beers,
Joel
Old 22-01-2015, 01:13   #2

Re: Captain and/or Crew wanting ASA cert: Miami to Panama 18Feb +/- a few days

Hi am interested am base in Miami!
Old 22-01-2015, 04:49   #3

Hi yes am interested as Captain am 27 years old being sailing all my life
Born And raice in Puerto Rico ! I have lots of experince in offshore sailing that i can teach You! It should take 10 days to make it there! Are u ready
Old 22-01-2015, 04:51   #4

I can doit definitly !
Old 22-01-2015, 08:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Let me know if you are still looking. If you are interested in ASA certification, you are going to need to work with an instructor affiliated with an ASA school. We are located in Grenada, West Indies, but I have a couple of instructors who may be interested. Please e-mail me directly Chris@LTDsailing.com.
Old 22-01-2015, 08:39   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I hate to throw in a spanner but even fast track to full skipper license for offshore takes 3-6 months so don't expect more than a basic intro in three weeks. I could train you as as a useful deck hand or watch-keeper in that time but not skipper. Plan on at least a year of study with night school for nav, weather and regs plus a progressive program of building experience. Going on some courses is fun, not that expensive, excellent training and gives you a group of similar people to study with. Plus if you prang the boat you don't have to repair it!!! (they won't let you though)
Why do you need to be in Panama? There is good sailing in the Caribbean and some good sea schools, why not learn to sail there then take off. Seriously lots of people spoil it by trying to do to much to soon and then it all become stressful and unpleasant instead of safe and relaxed.
Have fun, will be doing the canal in July myself
Old 22-01-2015, 08:49   #7

Boat: Searle 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I hate to throw in a spanner but even fast track to full skipper license for offshore takes 3-6 months so don't expect more than a basic intro in three weeks. I could train you as as a useful deck hand or watch-keeper in that time but not skipper. Plan on at least a year of study with night school for nav, weather and regs plus a progressive program of building experience. Going on some courses is fun, not that expensive, excellent training and gives you a group of similar people to study with. Plus if you prang the boat you don't have to repair it!!! (they won't let you though)
Why do you need to be in Panama? There is good sailing in the Caribbean and some good sea schools, why not learn to sail there then take off. Seriously lots of people spoil it by trying to do to much to soon and then it all become stressful and unpleasant instead of safe and relaxed.
Have fun, will be doing the canal in July myself
Hey mate, yeah I know, I would love to be able to cruise the Carib but unfortunately I just don't have the time. I am sailing to Panama as I have an onwards journey home to Australia I have to complete. I only ever had the notion that I was going to make it to ASA104 in that time. Enough to get by as a deckhand on my own boat!
Old 22-01-2015, 09:42   #8

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

As I prepare to procure my own vessel for one retirement lap of the Caribbean, I am interested in the passage to further my experience.

I've raced Laser to Open-Ocean (Marblehead and Newport-Bermuda) and everything in between (Thunderbird, Hobie 18 Sonar, Stiletto 23, Tornado, Half-ton IOR) for 35 years. Its time to settle into a slower groove and as your LOA is what I am seeking, this would be a great opportunity for you to have an experienced all-weather sailor and decent cook aboard.

Looking forward to hearing more details!

cheers

Dave
divevac@gmail.com
Old 22-01-2015, 10:18   #9

I can do that. I am ASA certified through Offshore and Multihull as well as Masters USCG License since 1997. Typically I charge by the day but can quote you a flat rate. I would also need travel expense and all expenses. I have some obligations into March but we can talk about that. Email me at jcvillines@gmail.com.
Old 22-01-2015, 12:31   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel86 View Post
Hey mate, yeah I know, I would love to be able to cruise the Carib but unfortunately I just don't have the time. I am sailing to Panama as I have an onwards journey home to Australia I have to complete. I only ever had the notion that I was going to make it to ASA104 in that time. Enough to get by as a deckhand on my own boat!
Ok that is fine. Ideally what you need to be advertising for is a delivery skipper who will take the boat to Australia with you as crew. You want somebody who is also an instructor who will teach you to sail. By the time you get there you should be pretty competent. You may not learn enough by Panama to then skipper across the pacific.
Having said that you would not be the first person to buy a boat set off and lean what to do along the way. One of the great things about sailing is that you take responsibility for yourself, the sea is a good teacher but can be a little harsh. Make sure you know enough to appreciate when it is suicidal rather than just dangerous!
If you are doing The Panama Canal around July look out for me, Voya, call sign CFN6302 on SSB. I will be solo/short handed and looking for people to buddy up with for line handling etc. Will then be sailing on to Hawaii and would be happy to give any assistance I can, maybe do a radio schedule, weather stuff etc.
Have fun
Old 22-01-2015, 13:38   #11

Boat: N/A

Sounds like a great experience and I would pay to join you, unfortunately I'll still be working overseas while you are making your way to Panama. I am planning an R&R to Panama around the middle of March and, depending on where you end up there, would love to meet and discuss your experience over a cocktail or two. We are planning to drive around the country a bit from 18 March thru 22 March, including an area called "Bahia Honda" that looks out over Cobia Island (don't know much about the area but it sounds like an adventure). Anyway, best of luck procuring a cap'n and crew, have a safe voyage. Joe C in Afghanistan.
Old 23-01-2015, 05:06   #12

Have made 42 Panama Canal transits. See Yacht Delivery, Global Passage Solutions, Captains

Tags
asa, captain, crew, miami, Panama