Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2009, 14:29   #1

Boat: Hylas 47 "Blue Planet"
WTB: Sailrite Sewing Machine

I am looking for the blue colored Ultrafeed LSZ -1 machine.

I am currently located in Annapolis MD.

Looking for a used machine.
Old 30-07-2009, 15:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
If you don't find one, I'd highly recommend going straight to Sailrite. They will match any online prices you find, including ebay. They have been insanely helpful over the last couple of years we've owned our machine - more than worth the additional cost of new vs. used. Just our $0.02.
Old 30-07-2009, 16:18   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
I am about to purchase a LSZ-1 direct from sailrite, and have ordered the "Load it 220" accessory kit. What else would you suggest as the starting kit.
Old 30-07-2009, 17:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Lots of extra needles - especially if you are sewing sailcloth.

Extra retaining ring: 1603

Scarfed Shuttle Hood: 9601
Old 04-10-2009, 13:43   #5

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
looking for a used sewing machine just purchased our boat got any leads
Old 04-10-2009, 14:36   #6

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
I was told that Sailrite sometimes has machines returned to them. I called but they did not have any available about 1 year ago. They put their machines on sale last spring and I decided to buy a new machine. Now I am learning how to use it. Their How to DO videos are great. My wife was furious that I spent the money but after seeing some of the videos concurs with my decision to purchase the machine.

John
Old 04-10-2009, 14:55   #7
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I have been told by two local upholsterers who do a lot of marine and canvas work that any old all-metal sewing machine will work if you use the right needles. They do a lot of their work on all-metal Singers, I noticed, when they were repairing the canvas top to my Land Rover.
Old 04-10-2009, 15:51   #8

Boat: Roberts 44 Offshore
Yes the old machines are good and I did buy a Pfaff 130 because the wife said, you won't even use it, it's a waste of money!! After completing the new salon cushions she said you buy what you want now. I just got my new Sailrite zig zag and let me tell you, buy it. The speed control alone is worth the money and like everyone is saying, they are amazing with customer service. Very happy with it.
Old 13-10-2009, 04:41   #9

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
just got back from the boat show">Annapolis boat show,there we bought a Ultrafeed LSZ -1 machine. they weren't offering any deals at the show except no tax if out of state..can't wait to run some thing thru it...bought a flag kit from sailrite , guess that will be my break in project..........it is definitely a far cry from mom's old singer............Ed
Old 13-10-2009, 05:18   #10

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Ed,
My wife sat down and started to sew and the power was like a rocket ship. I can not imagine speed and power of the upper models that Sailrite carries. We are still learning.

John
Old 13-10-2009, 05:20   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
Yes a great addition to the tool list.
Old 13-10-2009, 06:45   #12

If you plan to do canvas work I'd suggest you buy a swing away binding foot. It makes sewing on biinding tape so much easier than hand feeding.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 13-10-2009, 07:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbuoy View Post
Yes the old machines are good and I did buy a Pfaff 130 because the wife said, you won't even use it, it's a waste of money!! After completing the new salon cushions she said you buy what you want now. I just got my new Sailrite zig zag and let me tell you, buy it. The speed control alone is worth the money and like everyone is saying, they are amazing with customer service. Very happy with it.
Since you've used both, could you provide a comparison review of the Pfaff 130 and the Sailrite?

Thanks!
Old 13-10-2009, 17:14   #14

Boat: Roberts 44 Offshore
I'm not saying the Pfaff is not a great machine because it is and I learned to sew on it. It is built like a tank and will do what you want. But once you start to get into sewing sunbrella and heavy materials it will do it BUT your control is much better on the Sailrite. It has a jack gear reduction pulley which slows the machine down a lot and gives it more power to punch through more layers. I hate the machine taking off after you start sewing and all those old machines do that. I looked at plenty of them. You might say this would not bother you however I am quite the perfectionist and it drove me nuts because I could not go slow and accurate with the Pfaff without holding the hand wheel to control speed. Try holding your work, keeping it straight and controlling the foot pedal AND slowing it down with a third hand, very annoying because I only have two hands! Now the difference in money between them is an issue of course as the Sailrite is more money but if you want a professional looking job and you are not that experienced, as I am not, well, I should have bought the Sailrite first. Speed control is a big issue with the kind of things we want to sew as amateurs. The Sailrite also has a much longer stitch than the Pfaff which is an issue for sail work. Zig Zag also is much longer and wider. It also has the walking foot for way better control of movement. Crap I sound like a salesman for Sailrite, I have nothing to do with them by the way. The Pfaff is 50's tech and is good but the Sailrite is just so much easier to use and the easier it is to use, the more you will do with it.
Old 13-10-2009, 17:28   #15

Thanks winterbuoy. This is the first time I've heard of the Sailrite jack gear reduction pulley. Could you talk about that a bit more? Or maybe I should check it out on the Sailrite website?