Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 22:25   #1

Boat: Baba 30
Talking Trade Our WA Boat for CA or Mexico Boat !

Howdy! We have a 41' Morgan OutIsland sloop we have listed for sale at $55,000. It's a steal - really. We are planning on buying a boat further south, like southern Cal. or perhaps Mexico. Then we thought, what about trading boats with someone already there? So that's the story. If you're interested and would like additional info or photos, just let us know!

And remember: attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal!

Bob.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:44   #2

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
If you have a good boat now ...... why let someone steal it? Why not just sail the boat down to Southern Califorinia or Mexico?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:35   #3

Why indeed...

Hi, thanks for the greeting! Why sell/trade our Morgan? Several reasons really, and none more important than the other. We don't have the experience I feel one should have to sail down the west coast. The boat would need to be equiped with additional gear ($) to safely make the trip. The OutIsland gave us room for our family to visit and sail, they have indicated that they probably wont make it to Mexico, thus a smaller boat would suit us better down there. There's more, but you get the idea. Our boat really is set up to cruise these waters - 2 heaters, light wieght sails, etc, etc...
So hopefully we'll sell her soon and move forward with "The plan".
Take care! Bob
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40   #4

Boat: Flicka
Send a message via AIM to conrad
So you like building and fixin BETTER than you LIKE sailing?????????? In a hurry or what? Sailing the West coast seems like a great plan in a month or two..........Sorry lol just a small snivel about NOT sailing.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07   #5

Understandable. you know what you call it when 2 inexperienced sailors sail down the US west coast in an unprepared 41' sailboat? Foolish. Of course I'd finally get my name in the papers! But who wants to be an obituary? LOL
Take care!
Old 14-11-2008, 17:22   #6

Boat: Ranger 23
Send a message via ICQ to emagin Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin Send a message via Skype™ to emagin
I'd get a Union 36 or a Tayana 37 with glass decks.
Or for something more modern an Ericsson 39B.
But I ain't got one to trade you!
Lots of those in Mexico!
Old 14-11-2008, 20:11   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Why not ship it by truck? It would probably cost less then your loss and familiarity.
Old 14-11-2008, 21:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Delivery skipper/crew...

Why not find reputable delivery skipper/crew? Could be a few persons after cash at the moment.

Insure the boat, close your eyes, cross your fingers and tell them to call when they have the boat where you want it.

Got to be cheaper than selling in the current market and buying again.

Not many owners of serviceable boats would want to swap a warm location for a cold one.
Old 19-11-2008, 16:25   #9

If you like it truck it to San Diego. However, then you have to go 800 miles south in the ocean to get inside Baja... Ocean time inevitable on the left coast.
Consider buying a boat in Florida, then the carribean is mostly day hopping!
Old 30-11-2008, 12:53   #10

Unless you have no interest in learning "offshore" sailing I think you should seriously consider hiring an experienced skipper to teach you what you feel you're lacking while delivering your boat down the coast. Perticularly if you watch your weather the Washington and Oregon coast can be traversed with relative ease. Many people in far lesser boats than that OutIsland make the trip every year with very little "experience". Also, I dont think "Offshore" neccesarily means "harder" I can assure you that the things you wont encounter 20 miles off the pacific coast are tidal gates, drying rocks, narrow channels, dense commercial traffic and massive anchored beds of bull kelp. Those are all things that you would routinely deal with in the Strait of Juan De Fuca and the Puget Sound.

I know a young man in Portland who has done deliveries from The sound to Portland OR (Including the treacherous Columbia river bar) and done so with owner crews who hired him to teach them. Time at sea is the only real way to gain confidence and learn "offshore" sailing.

That said, if you dont have an interest in learning this stuff I wish you the best of luck trading boats.

Remember, there isnt anythiing you cant do it you put your mind to it.

Dont let the sometimes highly dogmatic sailing community convince you that you cant do this without a 100 ton ticket and 100 years of experience on square riggers around the horn. There are many good books that you can read to help you fill in any specific areas of knowlege you may feel lacking in.

Dont worry about being called "foolish" by bulletin board sailors :-)

Cheers,
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com

Tags
Mexico