Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09   #1

Spartech (?) Mast and Boom for Thundebird

I am unable to confirm this is a Spartech Mast and Boom but have compared these photographs to know Spartech and they look the same to me. My mast has also been re-wired and there are closup picts of everything I could find. Notice the taper at the top - this is the sign of Spartech. Base photos included. $750/ea.

Gordie Waddell's Photos - Thunderbird Mast and Boom only | Facebook

Contact me thru here.
Old 13-06-2010, 09:26   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I am very sorry to learn that you discovered your boat was in such bad condition that it was irreparable. Unfortunately, that has been the fate of many T-Birds for want of proper maintenance and old age.

For what it's worth, the spars you're offering are way under priced. A Spartec mast for the boat alone sells for several thousand dollars. You might look into that first and then offer the spars through the T-Bird site.

Shipping isn't a problem. The spars can be tied down to the roof of a long-haul trailer. That's how we shipped our replacement mast to the Bay Area from Seattle back in the 70's. We stopped at a truck stop near Spartec's facility and asked around until we found a truck headed for SF and then offered to pay the driver to carry the spar tied to the top of his trailer. From the SeaTac area to the Richmond Boat Works in the East Bay cost $200 or so.

N'any case, good luck.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 14-06-2010, 06:55   #3

thanks for the input. I have sold the mast and boom for what I wanted. We simply wanted to make up what we had in the T-Bird. I grabbed it for a very good deal. Now I know why - rotten hull. The previous owner was not aware of the value either so the guy who just bought my stuff got a very good deal as well. Everyone is happy. Sails are next but I need to get them out of storage and take pictures.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:52   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Hummm... Well if you broke even and someone elas got a good deal, I guess that all balances out. Good luck with your next effort. I'm sure your learning experience will be helpful, eh?

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."