Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 13:14   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Something different for Christmas?

Here’s something different for Christmas, for the sailor who seriously has everything. I didn’t know whether to put it in the classified section or what, but it might be amuzing for everyone, so here it is.
Before I bought my real boat I spent a year building a radio controlled scale model of the original Colin Archer double ender fishing boat support ketch.
It measures 48” long including the bowsprit, 13” beam and 57” to the masthead and weighs 40 lbs.
It has eight radio control channels giving independent control of the jib, mainsail and mizzen and the staysail. It takes a bit of getting used to, but sails just like a real boat. The running rigging works just like a real sailboat.
It also has a variable speed electric motor in both forward and reverse, working navigation lights and lights below deck.
The sails are accurately stitched with double seams.
The “crew” consist of captain, two layabouts, a helmsman and two ships cats.
The decks are individually plank laid and calked, and the main mast can be easily removed for transportation.
It has a cradle for display and would look good in anyone’s front parlor, as it does in mine.
It is always the talking point at any model yacht venue.
But since I can’t take it with me on my proposed cruise I will sell it for $4,000.
Lots of pictures, some of which look like a real boat, available to interested persons.
Old 13-12-2013, 13:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Something different for Christmas?

You've seen all the children out by noon on Christmas still in their pajamas riding their new bicycles, right? When my children were still living on board with us I bought my son a remote control boat for Christmas. Batteries were not included so I was careful to put them in the boat before wrapping it and placing it under the two foot tall tree. After the unwrap on Christmas morning my son put the remote control boat in the water after turning on the power switch. He set it down and aimed it out toward the river and then picked up the remote control. The small model boat left a significant wake as it headed northeast into the three mile fetch. My son picked up the remote control device and attempted to direct his gift to starboard......nothing.
then he tried the control button for port..... nothing. The gift was soon a speck on the horizon when I determined that there was a need for batteries in the handheld remote control devicd as well! This year I bought my son a tie and a gift card. He's thirty-four. I'll never have that chance again!
Old 13-12-2013, 15:19   #3

“Whata mistaka ta maka”. Unfortunately you didn’t follow the cardinal rule for any type of radio controlled model—test the reception first. I always walk quite a long way from the boat to test all the channels. Also, the batteries are all rechargeable, so I plug into “shore power” before setting out.
It would certainly be a disaster to have this baby sail off into the blue yonder. (none of the crew is much use). Usually though, we are always on some lake, so if something went wrong we could reclaim it on the other side.
It's a fun toy.
Old 14-12-2013, 06:50   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Very cool model you built there, Jolly Roger.

CaptForce's story reminds me of a post on my local diving forum about a battle ship that had been (accidentally?) rammed and sunk in a local lake by another remote-controlled ship. The owner was looking for a diver to find it. Luckily, someone took up the offer to go muck diving and did find it.
Old 16-12-2013, 13:54   #5

The problem with having a sinking is all the radio equipment gets ruined. I sealed my deck access hatches and once had a total knock-down and only managed to right her by driving the motor full ahead. There wasn’t a drop inside, which is more than would have been on a real knock-down.

Tags
christmas